How much is too much for Markov?

Meller93

With reports of a rejected 6 million dollar 1-year offer to Markov, it's got me thinking. How much is too much/long for Markov at greater than 6 million?

Honesty at 6, I don't want to see more than 2 years, although it seems he wants 3.

Also, I get the feeling Markov won't be traded, regardless of contract situation.

Too much money is over 6 m, and too much term is over 2 years, If it must be that he is signed, then 2 years @ 5.5 - 6m, but I still want to rebuild! 20 years of mediocrity feels like :wall:

He wants 3 years, which would be totally irresponsible for Bergevin IMO, I still think this team needs to look to rebuild around the new core of players Galchenyuk, Patcioretty, Gallegher, Price and Subban, and I don't care if the rest all get dealt.... Bergevin said all along that he wants to remain flexible in terms of the salary cap, cap flexibility is very important in today's NHL, and Markov for 3 years at 6 mil is not flexibility....

To be honest I'm almost comepletely in favor of trading him for a top prospect. I say prospect and not pick because his development curve would already be in line with Galchenyuk Gallagher and the core.

Beyond that as you guys have mentioned, that clears up a good 4-5 mill in cap space depending on the prospect.

39yr old gonchar will be 41 when his 5 million contract expires.

37 visnosky 39y 4.8m

36 streit 40y 5.3m

39 timonen 40 6m

37 boyle 38 6.7m

36 chara 40y 6.9m

these are just a few examples of player contracts expiring around 39/40yrs old. markov today is better and younger then all of them.

this doesn't include the countless 32+ yr old defenders making 5mil+ that are aren't half the player markov is.

his knee is fine and in fact he is now our current ironman over these last 2 seasons.

he will get his 3/4 year deal no doubt putting him at 38/39 in age at expiry. question is will it be 5 or 6mil and 3 or 4year term

To be honest I'm almost comepletely in favor of trading him for a top prospect. I say prospect and not pick because his development curve would already be in line with Galchenyuk Gallagher and the core.

Beyond that as you guys have mentioned, that clears up a good 4-5 mill in cap space depending on the prospect.

the salary cap is never an issue and people always put so much emphasis on it but it always has a way of working itself out.

with the health of the nhl right now in terms of revenue i wouldn't doubt seeing up to an 80 million cap come 2017. maybe even earlier

Guest Stogey24

To be honest I'm almost comepletely in favor of trading him for a top prospect. I say prospect and not pick because his development curve would already be in line with Galchenyuk Gallagher and the core.Beyond that as you guys have mentioned, that clears up a good 4-5 mill in cap space depending on the prospect.

That's a good point with the development of the player

the salary cap is never an issue and people always put so much emphasis on it but it always has a way of working itself out.

with the health of the nhl right now in terms of revenue i wouldn't doubt seeing up to an 80 million cap come 2017. maybe even earlier

I agree that the cap is going up but so is our spending. Subban and Eller are do for hefty raises. Emelin will be making 4 a year. That's translates to what, around 7 million in increase (ball park)?

The cap does not sort itself out, the GM does

Guest Stogey24

I agree that the cap is going up but so is our spending. Subban and Eller are do for hefty raises. Emelin will be making 4 a year. That's translates to what, around 7 million in increase (ball park)?

The cap does not sort itself out, the GM does

Why is Eller due for a hefty raise. Tops he's getting a year is 3 mill

Why is Eller due for a hefty raise. Tops he's getting a year is 3 mill

$3/yr is a minimum he would get and many teams would pay much more; for, young centre, big, good skating, good on faceoffs already (which bodes well as a young C) checks and block shots. You are underestimating his value I think.

And $3m is relatively big raise over $1.3m he gets now.

I think Markov current salary or tad more ($6m/yr) for 2 year deal is max I would be 'comfortable' with.

When he gets 3year deal, I still will be OK with it, but would hope extra year would get a hometown price break of some $$..

Eller having a good faceoff percentage is because he doesn't face off against great faceoff competition. It's similar to when people swooned over Lapierre's faceoff percentage.

Why his PK faceoff % same, other teams running out poor centremen on their PPs?

So you are arguing Eller isn't worth $3m/yr at a min, because Lapierre was a fan favourite of some sort?

Is a reason he and White are used on important defensive faceoffs. Basically because Plekanec has never been good at it and Eller at 24 already is safer bet.

Guest Stogey24

$3/yr is a minimum he would get and many teams would pay much more; for, young centre, big, good skating, good on faceoffs already (which bodes well as a young C) checks and block shots. You are underestimating his value I think.

And $3m is relatively big raise over $1.3m he gets now.

I think Markov current salary or tad more ($6m/yr) for 2 year deal is max I would be 'comfortable' with.

When he gets 3year deal, I still will be OK with it, but would hope extra year would get a hometown price break of some $$..

4pts in last 30 games.... That is just not good enough.

eller will get the minimum standard raise on a 2 year deal unless signing long term. his play just doesn't merit it right now in a contract year with out any history. he'll have to catch fire down the stretch and into the playoffs to get 3 million.

Eller is an interesting case, one to separate the "experts" from the amateurs. Zoot Suit needs to decide, based on the presumably in-depth analysis and surpassing hockey sophistication of his organization, whether this guy has it in him to be a top-6 C or not. If he does not, then we absolutely should trade him while there is still a view around the league that he does have potential. What I don't want to see is us "settling" for a 30-point checking C because he's good defensively. F**k that. We need serious talent, not more dime-a-dozen bottom-6ers and borderline cases. If we can flip Eller for a player with a higher offensive profile, we should do it - unless the "expert" assessment is that he will become a legit top-6er.

I wouldn't be against keeping Eller if he is paid as a 3rd line centre. I just don't want to see him paid as a second and playing as a third or fourth. Hopefully the team brass learned that by looking at Gorges. Great guy, heart and soul player, great on the pk, but not a number 3 defenseman anywhere.