May 25, Montreal vs New York, 8 PM

dlbalr

Habs rebounded from 2 NY leads in the game and inches from ending it, with several top players not contributing much at all and some say every d-man sucking.

Are Habs really that much better than NY that they are basically even match; with all the d-men sucking (as some contend), back up AHL goalie, PP sucking terribly and top line almost invisible?

So really if can just get a good buy-in effort by team, should be able to win handily.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make a good point, DON. The Habs have not played anywhere near their "A" game in this series. The question is why. Is New York just doing a great job of neutralizing our strengths and capitalizing on our weaknesses? Are we too beat up after Boston? Does the D really miss Price's puck-handling that much? Is it just a freak of timing, i.e., a concatenation of slumps, as sometimes happens in the regular season but becomes catastrophic in the playoffs?

One more game to find an answer...

You make a good point, DON. The Habs have not played anywhere near their "A" game in this series. The question is why. Is New York just doing a great job of neutralizing our strengths and capitalizing on our weaknesses? Are we too beat up after Boston? Does the D really miss Price's puck-handling that much? Is it just a freak of timing, i.e., a concatenation of slumps, as sometimes happens in the regular season but becomes catastrophic in the playoffs?

I really think the opener says a lot about what's gone on. Empty tank. A wonderful... awesome... blood and guts war with Boston (anybody see the Bruins anywhere these days?) and we carried the torch away with great pride. I would readily have agreed with the comment that Cherry was dissin' the Habs, but for the fact that he admitted the same thing happening to his team one year, losing to a team they would ordinarily have beaten. It would have been fun to see NY up against us in the first round.

I for one thought nothing was going to equal that series for challenge and difficulty.

And I think nothing has, but I think this is why PK is skating around exhausted sometimes and why we make some goofy desperate plays sometimes. When your body's dead, you just want it to stop.

So.. in the end.. I think we've been pretty terrific, even as a pale shadow of our TB Booin selves by playing with sheer character.

I have no idea if we can get re-energized this year, and indeed rather suspect that we may not, but we really did beat the Beast of the East this year and along with it the moral Stanley Cup, so I'm not really to bugged either way.

Gravy.

And remember boys, we are not facing elimination... NY is facing the Ghosts and fortunate is the man who can escape the Ghosts.

Go Habs Go!!! :clap:

"A concatenation of slumps.."...

ChiCuke.. would you consider selling that phrase to me.. I really , really like it. :clap::clap:

"A concatenation of slumps.."...

ChiCuke.. would you consider selling that phrase to me.. I really , really like it. :clap::clap:

Ha ha, it's yours for free. Use it wisely, fellow Jedi. :nuts:

I originally rejected the "fatigue" argument, but on further reflection I may have under-estimated exactly what it took to beat Boston. Like I say, I've been thinking more about the level of sheer physical punishment that series entailed...while I can't quantify it, it was extreme even by NHL playoff standards. I don't know that I've ever seen such a large number of checks, and such impactful checks, game after game after game. Boston's theory was that Montreal would wear down as a result. It didn't happen soon enough for their purposes, but maybe, ultimately, it did happen.

That said, I still don't believe in "moral Stanley Cups." Thinking that way is a trap - a recipe for losers. We need to be able to defeat Boston without wilting thereafter if we ever wish to win anything that actually counts.

I think it's a combination of the Rangers playing just about the best that they can and the Habs playing somewhere in the middle of their capabilities. The last half of game 4 was the best that we have looked all series. Keep playing like that and it will be interesting, I just hope that it's not too late

Ha ha, it's yours for free. Use it wisely, fellow Jedi. :nuts:

I originally rejected the "fatigue" argument, but on further reflection I may have under-estimated exactly what it took to beat Boston. Like I say, I've been thinking more about the level of sheer physical punishment that series entailed...while I can't quantify it, it was extreme even by NHL playoff standards. I don't know that I've ever seen such a large number of checks, and such impactful checks, game after game after game. Boston's theory was that Montreal would wear down as a result. It didn't happen soon enough for their purposes, but maybe, ultimately, it did happen.

That said, I still don't believe in "moral Stanley Cups." Thinking that way is a trap - a recipe for losers. We need to be able to defeat Boston without wilting thereafter if we ever wish to win anything that actually counts.

Thanks for the free phrase fellow Jedi!

Unfortunately .. I use nothing wisely..especially my yap!

A moral Stanley Cup is not a replacement for the shiny of course, but.. if they're just hanging in on fumes, then they're just hanging in on fumes. I am grateful for their exciting play thus far and won't spend the summer the way Leaf fans have for a half century!! :wall::wall::wall:

A concatenation of failures, no less!!

Enjoy the game ChiCuke!

5a7 on RDS just played a medley of Vanekian vanguishments from this series...May the Ghosts grab his skanky butt and shake him up (or forgive me if he's playing wounded)