Draft Day Discussion

dlbalr

One of the names we pondered at 87 for our mock was Francis Perron. He went 190th. The other, my pick (Tkachev), is still on the board. He's most definitely worth a flyer here although I expect another draft-and-stash pick.

What's the deal with all the Junior A kids?!

Teams get to hold their rights longer than CHL picks. With more and more attention being paid to NCAA UFA's, teams are now starting to try to draft some of those 'projectable' players to get them in the system before they're UFA's.

well, will be a while before some of these turn pro, but likely Timmins and scouts made couple smart choices.

I like the 1st, Lernout and Alberta farm kid picks at least and goalie has nice stats.

Scherbak: A. He was dominant in his first rookie campaign in the WHL and will only be getting better. Not a single scout expresses the idea of him regressing.

Lernout: D. Off the board, Timmins admitted they moved up because he feared someone else was about to take him. Stay at home D. Better options on the board.

Koberstein: C. College pick. Won't hear about him for years.

Audette: B. Small skilled French Canadian. Good grab in the fifth round.

Hawkey: A. USHL goalie of the year. No glaring weaknesses. Exceptional post to post movement.

Evans: C. Not much to say about a 7th round pick who looks like Matt Damon other than Spencer Watson was on the board still when we took him.

Scherbak: A. He was dominant in his first rookie campaign in the WHL and will only be getting better. Not a single scout expresses the idea of him regressing.

Lernout: D. Off the board, Timmins admitted they moved up because he feared someone else was about to take him. Stay at home D. Better options on the board.

Koberstein: C. College pick. Won't hear about him for years.

Audette: B. Small skilled French Canadian. Good grab in the fifth round.

Hawkey: A. USHL goalie of the year. No glaring weaknesses. Exceptional post to post movement.

Evans: C. Not much to say about a 7th round pick who looks like Matt Damon other than Spencer Watson was on the board still when we took him.

Why does Lernout get a "D" over bottom six/third pairing college kids?

Those two picks deserve the illusive "F-" Trying to pick kids you get for cheap two way deals in four years? What a joke. This "draft and stash" is managerial over thinking. Did Team Canada make that crap up?

Why does Lernout get a "D" over bottom six/third pairing college kids?

Because I base it on when the pick was taken. Had Lernout been taken in the sixth round I'd probably consider it a B. The fact we gave up a pick to move up for him was a big reason I made it a D.

Guest Stogey24

He didn't mention any UFA's. In fact, he didn't mention one of the other RFA's either. They are still talking as of today so I wouldn't read much into Gionta not getting mentioned.

They add a bit of salary (once Spaling signs) but it fills two roster spots. The salaries of Hornqvist/Spaling should be a bit less than Neal/roster spot now taken by Spaling.

He mentioned both Subban and Eller as two players that needed to be resigned during his interview with Duthie.

He mentioned both Subban and Eller as two players that needed to be resigned during his interview with Duthie.

I know. Both of those are RFA's though and we know they are trying to keep Gionta and Weaver (they talked contract with Gionta's agent this morning). I wouldn't read anything into the fact that only the two players were mentioned, Bergevin wasn't going to rhyme off the whole list of free agents they'd like to keep (we know Bouillon may very well be in there too).

Guest Stogey24

I know. Both of those are RFA's though and we know they are trying to keep Gionta and Weaver (they talked contract with Gionta's agent this morning). I wouldn't read anything into the fact that only the two players were mentioned, Bergevin wasn't going to rhyme off the whole list of free agents they'd like to keep (we know Bouillon may very well be in there too).

I know, but you would think their current captain would be listed among players to resign... Your probably right though

I know, but you would think their current captain would be listed among players to resign... Your probably right though

The way the question started was something along the lines of P.K. Subban is your next priority? Bergevin agreed, then added Eller as another RFA that needs to get done at some point. That's why I don't want to read between the lines as the question led with an RFA.

Joking aside, my concern from past drafts is that Timmons can't judge the big boys, and MT is pushing him to be something he's not. These definitely aren't Timmmons picks

McCarron

Crisp

Learn out

Big Junior A dope at 10?

McCarron = Lindros

Crisp = Shanahan

Learn out = Pronger

???

Those two picks deserve the illusive "F-" Trying to pick kids you get for cheap two way deals in four years? What a joke. This "draft and stash" is managerial over thinking. Did Team Canada make that crap up?

Part of the draft and stash philosophy is also for contract management. If you have eight picks in a draft on average and take all CHL'ers, they all have to be signed within two years. You can't sign them all which leaves teams in a situation where they either have to let go or undersell quality prospects (assuming they drafted well). Mixing in some 4 and 5 year projects makes managing that easier. Plus, sometimes those players need the time to bulk up (look at Mark MacMillan, a Habs' pick from a few seasons ago for an example).

In general, I think teams are looking a bit too much at these players (only 97/210 picks were CHL - 2 year - players). That 97 should be higher but there is merit to the draft and stash philosophy, especially at the back end of drafts. On a personal philosophy, I prefer that the Habs do that in the last couple of rounds unless there's someone that's falling (like Gregoire last year, like Tkachev was this season who I was advocating for).