The Battle for Two Defence Spots

Commandant

But always will be injuries and others will get a shot, what is gonna happen with Nygren? He was not a big fan of Hamilton last fall.

He doesn't have a contract in Sweden so if he leaves on the team again? He has nowhere to play. Nobody is going to mess with transfer agreements if he doesn't have a team right now in Europe.

Therrien made it clear he either plays in the NHL or AHL. I think Nygren knows he has to play in the AHL if he ever wants to be an NHLer. And hey, he logs a season or two for the Bulldogs? He'll be in a perfect position to take Gilbert's spot when his contract expires. Nobody else will be ready for a PP2 RD spot.

Boulions' time as a Hab is up. Two assists in a pre season game (by the 40 year old vet) mean nothing when selecting the top seven D. Cube filled in nicely while the habs were developing the young D, that are now ready to squeeze him off the roster. "Time waits for no one"

Guest Stogey24

Boulions' time as a Hab is up. Two assists in a pre season game (by the 40 year old vet) mean nothing when selecting the top seven D. Cube filled in nicely while the habs were developing the young D, that are now ready to squeeze him off the roster. "Time waits for no one"

Like others I think Drewiske could a be good fit for the 7 spot, but Therrien has a man crush on Bouillon so you never know.

Don't get the man crush thing idea? Bouillon was a scratch from Jan 22 till March 12, only 2 games vs Bruins and 4 vs Rangers. So how does that mean he has a crush on him?

And his choice of players was never easy to predict at all and results were not bad.

I thought Bouillon played fine 3rd pairing role, doubt he will stick this year, but could easily see him signed if Habs have couple injuries on d, as options of UFA d-men is slim pickings.

Guest Stogey24

Don't get the man crush thing idea? Bouillon was a scratch from Jan 22 till March 12, only 2 games vs Bruins and 4 vs Rangers. So how does that mean he has a crush on him?

And his choice of players was never easy to predict at all and results were not bad.

I thought Bouillon played fine 3rd pairing role, doubt he will stick this year, but could easily see him signed if Habs have couple injuries on d, as options of UFA d-men is slim pickings.

Wow, you really have a good sense of humour. Bouillion played in 52 regular season games and 9 playoffs games last year with power play time. He was also paired with Subban at times and probably got more playing time than he should have in certain games. Bouillon was definitely therrien's pet at time.

it's an opinion don, not all comments here need to be scientifically proven with concrete evidence. I agree stoge, boullion has been a teachers pet of therriens for quite some time. and no don, i'm not going to dig thru the archives to find out exactly how much time they've been together as player/coach neither. haha have a good day bro

Guest Stogey24

it's an opinion don, not all comments here need to be scientifically proven with concrete evidence. I agree stoge, boullion has been a teachers pet of therriens for quite some time. and no don, i'm not going to dig thru the archives to find out exactly how much time they've been together as player/coach neither. haha have a good day bro

lol, amen

To play Devil's Advocate for a moment, "not standing out" for a rookie defenseman is probably not a bad thing. If you play cautious and as a consequence neither make yourself obviously present by generating offense, you also might not be making yourself obviously present by making stupid mistakes.

PK Subban can get away with coughing up the puck in his own end on occasion, because for every time he does that, he's going to generate 5 or 6 good scoring chances on the other side.

What has impressed me most about Pateryn so far has been the fact that he has not been making rookie defensive mistakes, compared to the other two. (Tinordi looks a bit lost at both ends of the ice, while Beaulieu frequently appears to be trying to get assists for the opposing teams.) Likewise, Nygren hasn't really stood out...but he hasn't stood out in a good way OR a bad way. This is how you want them to be when they start out.

Don really likes the little guys heart. And you gotta admit little frankie has heart in spades. His time in the league is probably over but like we have said a few times, he would make a good player/coach in Hamilton.

I would like to see pateryn stick around for a bit..the other two have had a chance, why not give him a 15 gm taste? and lets hope that maybe beaulieu will build his confidence in the A while pateryn is up? I think pateryn will seek a trade if he doesn't get a chance again this year.

Beaulieu earned the spot as the 6th... Pateryn as the 7th imo

Agreed. Tinordi just shows he needs more development. Perfectly fine. Pateryn I'd either put back in the AHL and let Drewiske suit as #7 or use as a #7. I like his game overall but his skating speed leaves a bit to be desired.

Beaulieu/Gilbert on the PP2 is gonna shave some seconds for Markov/Subban and give the powerplay some variety.

Beaulieu earned the spot as the 6th... Pateryn as the 7th imo

Other than the 1 screwup he had Pateryrn looked really good tonite. Very professional. Hey screwups happen PK has had his share.

I think he definitely deserves a spot.

I've flip-flopped from each of the "little 3" since rookie camp. now, i'd say that beaulieu will get the #6 spot. the #7 spot could probably be a revolving door between pateryn, tinordi and drewiske. but, mb hasn't called me to confirm his intentions, so i'm clueless at the moment :blush:

Beaulieu will star with the habs on the 8th. Last nights third period solidified it. It was his job to lose. Pateryn has been better than Tinordi. Drewskie looks to be healthy for once and would be a good number seven. Log jam on the blue line a nice problem to have. One that this team has not experienced in years. Good to see. Centers DD, Chucky, Maholtra, Pleks, Eller. Move Pleks to wing or trade him. If not trade DD. Both struggle big time when it counts most anyways..... play offs!

..you may be right 30/31. that's a dicey situation though with dd. patches will probably whine all year if dd gets traded or taken from first line. but it's a business not a sewing circle..i wouldn't trade pleks at all..except if we could get Bergeron somehow.

Barring some stupidity in the last two preseason games against Ottawa, last night earned Beaulieu a start in Toronto on the 8th.

He has to maintain that to keep that spot. You guys didn't like me comparing him to Subban, so lets compare him to a sophmore defenseman that SHOULD be a fair comparison:

Torey Krug with Boston. He'll never be half the defenseman Subban is. If Beaulieu is going to be worth his salt as an offensive D-man, he needs to put up numbers somewhere close to what Krug did in his rookie year last year. That's not too much to ask. It's not like he was a calder nominee or anything, and Beaulieu already has 30 NHL games under his belt, compared to Krug's 3 before last season. Beaulieu is a 1st round pick, Krug went undrafted. Nate's 6'1", Torey is 5'9". Beaulieu should have all the advantages. 14 goals, 26 assists? Let's see him do it.

Krug got PP1 time. I doubt Beaulieu does unless Markov goes down to injury or Beaulieu is clearly better for the PP1 than Markov, which in that case he'll be putting up a 40 point season.

19 of Krug's 40 points came on the powerplay. He averaged more PP minutes than even Chara.

A better comparison for him would be Ryan Ellis on Nashville, who is behind Weber, Jones and Josi in the PP category but still gets PP2 minutes. Ellis only had six points on the PP due to limited minutes but was able to put up a respectable 21 points on even strength. That's a better target for Nate.

You're struggling really hard to find any excuse to write Beaulieu off.

Markov won't play point with Subban on the PP that much, you balance the attack.

If your powerplay is Subban, Markov, Gilbert, and Beaulieu, Beaulieu is going to get ice time either with Subban or Markov. Either should afford him ample powerplay opportunities.

Guest Stogey24

Markov won't play point with Subban on the PP that much, you balance the attack.

If your powerplay is Subban, Markov, Gilbert, and Beaulieu, Beaulieu is going to get ice time either with Subban or Markov. Either should afford him ample powerplay opportunities.

I really liked Beaulieu Subban pairing on PP. I've only seen it a couple times, but it could be a nice little tandem... I'm not too sure if Beaulieu would be awarded top PP minutes though. I guess he has to make the team before anything.

am i the only one who thinks gilbert and subban (two righties) should be paired together and markov and beaulieau (two lefties) on the PP. you need the same sticks on the points so they aren't constantly flipping sides to create the one timer.

am i the only one who thinks gilbert and subban (two righties) should be paired together and markov and beaulieau (two lefties) on the PP. you need the same sticks on the points so they aren't constantly flipping sides to create the one timer.

That's an interesting suggestion.

It might help.

It also might lead to league-leading shorthanded goals allowed.