Dec. 30, Habs vs Panthers, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

i think Burns is probably one of the best coaches we had post Bowman. But i do have one major issue with Burns, which i think hurt us in not winning the cup in 1989. He did a sh**ty job of not recognizing Lemieux's value in the playoffs. Hardly used him.

Burns hated Lemieux (called him a cancer, to which Lemieux replied he is a cancer - zodiac sign) and we ended up moving one of the top playoff performers in the last 30 years for Pierre Turgeon's little sister.

A valid criticism for sure. Burns was "old school" and apparently hated Lemieux's penchant for diving. I still remember him leaving Lemieux phonily writhing on the ice and refusing to send out the trainer to "help." This was, I believe, in the Finals. It's a classic case of bias getting in the way of success (not unlike, perhaps, Gainey's unloading of legitimately useful punks like Ribeiro and Grabovski for nothing).

In fine, Burns got attacked for many of the same things Therrien gets attacked for. I think that's the relevance of bringing up the comparison; it underlines the point I generally try to make, which is that, while MT is hardly the second coming of Toe Blake, he's not the second coming of Mario Tremblay - i.e., a horrible fool who should be canned - either.

Now, as for Habs30/31: first, it's interesting that you assumed I had you in mind when I sniped at "nattering nabobs of negativism," since I didn't actually mention you. Typical narcissistic behaviour to make that assumption, and also to pretend to speak for "everyone," but who am I to diagnose your condition? I also in no way "bitch and whine" about negative posters; what I generally (not always) do is disagree with the stridency of their tone and make arguments to the contrary. You're the one who seems to equate argument and disagreement with "crying to Mommy" and an incitement to personal attacks. (This is also narcissistic behaviour, but fortunately, I'm not your therapist).

But enough sniping. The funny thing is that we actually agree on most things. E.g., we agree that the Habs are not in the front rank of contenders. We agree that Therrien is not an elite coach. We agree that Pleks is a good player but not elite. We both would like the PP to be better and the first periods to be stronger (as does everyone). You give a long list of prescriptions above (how you wanted Galy at C, Beaulieu with the big club, etc.) - most of those I had no problem with - the difference being that I didn't see the big urgency about implementing them RIGHT NOW rather than later, and was willing to consider the possibility that just maybe there were reasons NOT to implement them right away. The same goes for Tinordi. I want him on the team, but don't see the crying urgency to get him here at all costs right this very second and decline to issue denunciations of the club for its choice of a #6 defenceman.

At the end of the day, the only really important thing we seem to disagree with is tone. We're a work in progress headed 100% in the right direction and getting results that are wholly in line with a second-tier contender. After 20 years of darkness, I'm happy to see that. You appear to take a more "Cup or nothing" approach, which is indeed the traditional approach of Habs fans, but in my opinion is ill-suited to the realities of both this team as it stands right now, and hockey in general in the post-dynasty era. That seems a reasonable disagreement. Let's keep it reasonable.

• Upvote 1

A valid criticism for sure. Burns was "old school" and apparently hated Lemieux's penchant for diving. I still remember him leaving Lemieux phonily writhing on the ice and refusing to send out the trainer to "help." This was, I believe, in the Finals. It's a classic case of bias getting in the way of success (not unlike, perhaps, Gainey's unloading of legitimately useful punks like Ribeiro and Grabovski for nothing).

In fine, Burns got attacked for many of the same things Therrien gets attacked for. I think that's the relevance of bringing up the comparison; it underlines the point I generally try to make, which is that, while MT is hardly the second coming of Toe Blake, he's not the second coming of Mario Tremblay - i.e., a horrible fool who should be canned - either.

Now, as for Habs30/31: first, it's interesting that you assumed I had you in mind when I sniped at "nattering nabobs of negativism," since I didn't actually mention you. Typical narcissistic behaviour to make that assumption, and also to pretend to speak for "everyone," but who am I to diagnose your condition? I also in no way "bitch and whine" about negative posters; what I generally (not always) do is disagree with the stridency of their tone and make arguments to the contrary. You're the one who seems to equate argument and disagreement with "crying to Mommy" and an incitement to personal attacks. (This is also narcissistic behaviour, but fortunately, I'm not your therapist).

But enough sniping. The funny thing is that we actually agree on most things. E.g., we agree that the Habs are not in the front rank of contenders. We agree that Therrien is not an elite coach. We agree that Pleks is a good player but not elite. We both would like the PP to be better and the first periods to be stronger (as does everyone). You give a long list of prescriptions above (how you wanted Galy at C, Beaulieu with the big club, etc.) - most of those I had no problem with - the difference being that I didn't see the big urgency about implementing them RIGHT NOW rather than later, and was willing to consider the possibility that just maybe there were reasons NOT to implement them right away. The same goes for Tinordi. I want him on the team, but don't see the crying urgency to get him here at all costs right this very second and decline to issue denunciations of the club for its choice of a #6 defenceman.

At the end of the day, the only really important thing we seem to disagree with is tone. We're a work in progress headed 100% in the right direction and getting results that are wholly in line with a second-tier contender. After 20 years of darkness, I'm happy to see that. You appear to take a more "Cup or nothing" approach, which is indeed the traditional approach of Habs fans, but in my opinion is ill-suited to the realities of both this team as it stands right now, and hockey in general in the post-dynasty era. That seems a reasonable disagreement. Let's keep it reasonable.

when i said "we" it was because i was NOT ASSUMING you were just speaking to me. does that clear that up for you Dr Phil?

Yes the habs are a work in progress, and where you and i differ may be just in tone. I'm sure that we could have a great hab converasation past and present over a couple of beers.

GO HABS :thumbs_up:

Lemieux was an embarrassment to hockey; to sports. Yeah Burnsy. (No rude rebuttal to the serene CC intended esp given Claude the Depraved's short term efficacy)

As to rending garments..I had to stop that according to the desk Sargent before I got into "real" trouble...

A few negatives I've noted.

Our plan numbers...goalie stats and gf/ga stats are stagnating.

We stand little chance of improving our standing.

We are running out of measured steps to patiently and calmly implement fairly obvious improvements.

We seem to have reduced motivation in situations that don't generate much motivation in an 82 game season.

But our big concern should be goaltending...Price in particular doesn't seem nearly as upset as we are when the other guys score.

Happy New Years habiliosos.

Gonchar: the two most powerful warriors are patience and time..that's Tolstoy

Beaulieu: isn't he doing a mixtape with Drake?

...they have plenty to talk about, haha

Gonchar: "To win you have to play harder and give more than anyone else on the ice. Champions are created from within."

Beaulieu: "#YOLOSWAG"

• Upvote 2