2015 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Today marks the first day of waivers for the year. Not surprisingly, a whole lot of players were waived today (42 by my quick count). I doubt many of these get claimed (maybe one) but here are a few of the interesting names:

Danny Kristo (STL) - former Hab prospect

John McFarland (FLA) - anyone who remembers the ridiculous hype when he started in junior might get a kick out of this one

Davis Drewiske (PHI) - I wish he'd have been kept around for the IceCaps

Zack Phillips (BOS) - 1st rounder 4 years ago, was teammates with Beaulieu in Saint John

Corey Tropp/Jeremy Morin (CHI) - both were part of the Saad to CBJ deal and both were in the NHL full-time last year. I could see someone claiming Morin.

There will be a lot more players on waivers in the next 11 days. It's worth keeping track of the notable players waived to compare to the likes of youngsters that are facing waiver decisions from the Habs. In particular, what d-men get waived that could be comparable to Tinordi.

Brent Seabrook agrees to an 8 year extension worth roughly $6.85 M per year. I'll be curious to see how Chicago fits that new deal in as it's a bit of a raise (and Anisimov has a pricier new deal starting then as well). He'll be 31 when that deal kicks in so there may be an ugly year or two at the end as he turns 38/39.

Brent Seabrook agrees to an 8 year extension worth roughly $6.85 M per year. I'll be curious to see how Chicago fits that new deal in as it's a bit of a raise (and Anisimov has a pricier new deal starting then as well). He'll be 31 when that deal kicks in so there may be an ugly year or two at the end as he turns 38/39.

I feel like the 6.85 is a bit of a discount to stay with a winning team, yet the 8 years is possibly more than he would have gotten on the open market.

Way too many players to count on waivers today and there aren't many names of interest. Obviously Thomas from the Habs will be one to follow.

It's starting to be make-or-break time on PTO's. Brad Boyes signed for $700k with the Leafs (great bargain) while Curtis Glencross, Patrick Dwyer, and Ray Emery, among others, were all let go.

We're starting to see some completely ill-advised panic over the Habs not having signed Fleischmann yet. One of the arguments is that all the other teams are all signing or releasing their PTO players. That's not the case. Here are the players still on PTO's:

Arizona: Corey Potter (signed a one year deal)
Boston: Jonas Gustavsson
Calgary: Ryan Wilson
Chicago: Kyle Cumiskey (signed PTO with AHL affiliate)
Colorado: Curtis Glencross, Andrej Meszaros, Jack Skille
Florida: Martin Havlat
Los Angeles: Peter Budaj
Montreal: Tomas Fleischmann
New Jersey: Tyler Kennedy, Lee Stempniak
NY Islanders: Eric Boulton (will sign waiver to practice with team but will not sign before the season starts)
Pittsburgh: Sergei Gonchar
St. Louis: Scott Gomez, Scottie Upshall
Washington: Derek Roy
Winnipeg: Thomas Raffl

There's a few players on that list that seem to be likely to get contracts. If so, it'll be a much more successful year for PTO players compared to last year where Drayson Bowman with the Habs was one of the rare successes.

We're starting to see some completely ill-advised panic over the Habs not having signed Fleischmann yet. One of the arguments is that all the other teams are all signing or releasing their PTO players. That's not the case. Here are the players still on PTO's:

Arizona: Corey Potter

Boston: Jonas Gustavsson

Calgary: Ryan Wilson

Chicago: Kyle Cumiskey

Colorado: Curtis Glencross, Andrej Meszaros, Jack Skille

Florida: Martin Havlat

Los Angeles: Peter Budaj

Montreal: Tomas Fleischmann

New Jersey: Tyler Kennedy, Lee Stempniak

NY Islanders: Eric Boulton

Pittsburgh: Sergei Gonchar

St. Louis: Scott Gomez, Scottie Upshall

Washington: Derek Roy

Winnipeg: Thomas Raffl

There's a few players on that list that seem to be likely to get contracts. If so, it'll be a much more successful year for PTO players compared to last year where Drayson Bowman with the Habs was one of the rare successes.

Think you have to decide what your are doing with your young players-- Ghetto and Hudon-- both will likely play in at least one more preseason game-- if you decide to send them back- then you sign Fleischman--- if you sign Fleischman now nomatter what they do in the last game (Ghetto and Hudon) they are going back--would not be fair.

Think you have to decide what your are doing with your young players-- Ghetto and Hudon-- both will likely play in at least one more preseason game-- if you decide to send them back- then you sign Fleischman--- if you sign Fleischman now nomatter what they do in the last game (Ghetto and Hudon) they are going back--would not be fair.

You can have the most amazing pre-season and still be sent down for the right reasons.

Is that Fleischman guy a lock to be signed? Or is there still a chance they might just decide to go with a youngster for that position?

I would suggest that a good showing by one of the youngsters, in the last game or two, might complicate the decision making process.

Is that Fleischman guy a lock to be signed? Or is there still a chance they might just decide to go with a youngster for that position?

No PTO is ever a lock to sign but as long as he stays healthy in the final two preseason games (and I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting in case he gets hurt vs Ottawa), he should be in good shape to sign. If you look at the practice lines, they haven't really tried a youngster in anything more than a depth role the last few days. It seems like they're strictly around to just spend time practicing with the rest of the NHL'ers since they'll likely be up at some point.

No PTO is ever a lock to sign but as long as he stays healthy in the final two preseason games (and I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting in case he gets hurt vs Ottawa), he should be in good shape to sign. If you look at the practice lines, they haven't really tried a youngster in anything more than a depth role the last few days. It seems like they're strictly around to just spend time practicing with the rest of the NHL'ers since they'll likely be up at some point.

You'd think they'd give Hudon at least one game beside DD to see if he can do what Fleischman can.

Raphael Diaz waived by the New York Rangers. Everyone knows the reason is because the Rangers don't want to lose Dylan McIllrath on waivers. Same situation Montreal could face if they waive Barberio over Tinordi and why Dallas is ready to hold onto Oleksiak as an eighth defenceman.

A bigger shock is Chicago sending Marco Dano down.

Ottawa puts Greening on waivers, kind of a surprise no?

$2.65 M on his deal for a 12th/13th forward. For me, the surprise was that it didn't happen last year. He'll clear, as will Bryan Bickell amongst overpaid physical forwards.

Another pricey player will hit the wire as Andrew MacDonald will be waived at noon. Philly fans will be cursing Paul Holmgren's name a little more now.

Former Hab defenceman Mike Weaver has retired. He bought a customized licence plate to commemorate the occasion.