2015 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but apparently nonis was offered a job with the Habs

I had it on our Twitter account the other day but I don't think it was noted on here. It would have been in an advisory capacity of sorts; the team already has enough assistant GM's.

I had it on our Twitter account the other day but I don't think it was noted on here. It would have been in an advisory capacity of sorts; the team already has enough assistant GM's.

Yes but how many assistant parking lot sweepers do we have? Huh? Huh?

And where is the sarcasm one? We really need that one.

Mark Giordano signs a 6 year, $6.75 M extension in Calgary. That's a far cry from the $9 M asking price. The Flames have a lot of money tied up in their D for 2016-17 already, nearly $29 M in just six players.

Mark Giordano signs a 6 year, $6.75 M extension in Calgary. That's a far cry from the $9 M asking price. The Flames have a lot of money tied up in their D for 2016-17 already, nearly $29 M in just six players.

that's an unbelievable deal for a guy who has been in the Norris conversation for the past couple of years.

that's an unbelievable deal for a guy who has been in the Norris conversation for the past couple of years.

He'll also be 33 when the deal kicks in. It'll be a very good deal for the first few years but at 37, 38, probably not so much. Short-term gain but likely long-term pain.

He'll also be 33 when the deal kicks in. It'll be a very good deal for the first few years but at 37, 38, probably not so much. Short-term gain but likely long-term pain.

They have their top 3 at very reasonable rates - only overpayment is Wideman who is their 4th or 5th. top Dmen typically play well at 37 or 38.

Anyone hear about the byfuglien (spelling) to the habs rumour? Seems like something that would hold no weight, yet if love to see him on the habs. Always puts up great numbers, and is a brick wall.

Anyone hear about the byfuglien (spelling) to the habs rumour? Seems like something that would hold no weight, yet if love to see him on the habs. Always puts up great numbers, and is a brick wall.

That website - assuming you saw this today - is 100% fake. They invent rumours out of thin air...and even then, they don't make much sense. They also have a tendency to link an awful lot of players to Montreal.

I don't know why people act as though the last year or two of a deal count for more than the four or five years preceding it. Calgary may indeed end up 'overpaying' Giordano at the tail end of that deal, but the bottom line is that they locked up their stud blueliner for the rest of his career at under $7 mil per. Good job.

That website - assuming you saw this today - is 100% fake. They invent rumours out of thin air...and even then, they don't make much sense. They also have a tendency to link an awful lot of players to Montreal.

I forget the site, but I'm not surprised. Didn't think for a second the trade would happen. I still like buff though

Do you remember the playoffs of last year?

I think DON was pointing out the tension between arguing that Giordano's deal will be A-OK because elite defencemen play well into their late 30s, and fans' propensity to point out Markov's obvious decline. DON's good at spotting posters' contradictions (although I'm not sure whether Habs29 has, himself, ever banged the drum about Markov's decline).

I forget the site, but I'm not surprised. Didn't think for a second the trade would happen. I still like buff though

I like him a lot, but the problem with Winnipeg trades is that they rarely happen. The Evander Kane trade was the first time in the new Jets history they made a move involving an NHL player leaving and an NHL player coming back. I don't think a lot of these rumour mongers pay attention to the fact that the Jets are pretty good and despite a few flaws, have a strong future ahead. They are not in a position to be selling Byfuglien, Ladd, Wheeler, etc.

I like him a lot, but the problem with Winnipeg trades is that they rarely happen. The Evander Kane trade was the first time in the new Jets history they made a move involving an NHL player leaving and an NHL player coming back. I don't think a lot of these rumour mongers pay attention to the fact that the Jets are pretty good and despite a few flaws, have a strong future ahead. They are not in a position to be selling Byfuglien, Ladd, Wheeler, etc.

I agree, those are great core guys. I always wished we had wheeler too. Would have looked awesome on our RW.

The funniest thing about the byfuglien rumour was that it involved Emelin going the other way. Lolololololol

I don't know why people act as though the last year or two of a deal count for more than the four or five years preceding it. Calgary may indeed end up 'overpaying' Giordano at the tail end of that deal, but the bottom line is that they locked up their stud blueliner for the rest of his career at under $7 mil per. Good job.

I didn't say the back years counted more or even that it was a bad deal (or good for that matter). I just provided the other side of the coin. Yes, it's a good price for a #1 defenceman but it'll be an overpay at the end. But, that's the cost to get an older player signed at a favourable cap hit in the immediate term.

Ladd and Byfuglien are both UFA's at the end of this coming season and it has been speculated among some of the media that they'll only be able to afford to keep one of them. Accordingly, the rumour inventors toss them into plenty of their creations.

The funniest thing about the byfuglien rumour was that it involved Emelin going the other way. Lolololololol

Pretty much any Montreal rumour/invention on that site has Emelin going the other way.

I agree, those are great core guys. I always wished we had wheeler too. Would have looked awesome on our RW.

We were very close to getting Wheeler when he became a free agent. From what I recall, he was deciding between Montreal and Boston. Went with Boston.

Him in the lineup in 08-09 until who knows when would have changed a lot for our organization.

Markov is declining but still put up 50 points and I see no reason why he can't be close to that for the next 2 years. His salary for his production is fine. The issue with Markov is that MT is using him like he is still the 27 year old before knee surgery Markov, rather than a 36 year old slowed down with bad knees. Keep Markov under 20 min or at most 21-22 minutes and not wear him out for the playoffs and I think he will be fine.

Issue isn't Markov, issue is MT's deployment of him. He is no longer should be the top pairing dman - we have the $9.5m man to be that guy.

Unless giorodano gets hurts - which can also happen to a 25 year old (see bobby orr) - I see no reason why he can't be a too pairing, or at least a top 2 pairing dman for 6 years. For his caliber dman (Norris candidate) 37-38 is usually an age that they are still effective (lidstrom, neidermeyer, Stevens, MacInnis, Suter, Robinson, Wilson, Pronger, chelios, etc), unless derailed by a serious injury. Most smart cerebral dman will compensate for lack if speed with their intelligence, read of the game and positioning.

I can't believe that the flames got him under $7m, without having to give out 8 years. They got a amazing cap hit and reasonable term.

Different story with forwards, which us why u think anaheim overpaid in dollars and term for Kesler.

I think DON was pointing out the tension between arguing that Giordano's deal will be A-OK because elite defencemen play well into their late 30s, and fans' propensity to point out Markov's obvious decline. DON's good at spotting posters' contradictions (although I'm not sure whether Habs29 has, himself, ever banged the drum about Markov's decline).