2015 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

The Sutter deal is done now - 5 years, $4.375 M per year.

As for other bad Vancouver deals, don't forget Derek Dorsett - 4 years, $10.6 M to be a fourth line tough guy.

If they go Prust - Vey - Dorsett as I've heard Canucks fans suggest, that's a $6.15M fourth line. Prust and Dorsett alone are $5.15M

If Habs ran Semin - Galchenyuk - Kassian as a second line, we'd be spending $5.65M on it.

If they go Prust - Vey - Dorsett as I've heard Canucks fans suggest, that's a $6.15M fourth line. Prust and Dorsett alone are $5.15M

If Habs ran Semin - Galchenyuk - Kassian as a second line, we'd be spending $5.65M on it.

:lol: Tale of two franchises right there

Canucks will be lucky to make the playoffs and yet are capped out; as bad a sign as there is, really. Sure, Gillis locked them into some bad contracts with NTCs (like Burrows), but the new management has seemed bound and determine to overpay for mediocrity. I suspect they're due for an extended stretch of mediocrity in consequence.

Kassian as top six? Semin may be washed up as NHL player period? So not fair comparison.

Also Canucks have some sweet prospects, but yes are in more of a rebuilding phase than Habs fro sure and their Mgmt likely wouldn't deny that.

Kassian as top six? Semin may be washed up as NHL player period? So not fair comparison.

Also Canucks have some sweet prospects, but yes are in more of a rebuilding phase than Habs fro sure and their Mgmt likely wouldn't deny that.

Their management is actively denying it. They want to make the playoffs.

Their management is actively denying it. They want to make the playoffs.

They're claiming to be 'retooling.' The rhetoric is that they will 'remain competitive' while getting younger. Most fans can see the blatant tensions involved - e.g., keeping an old an expensive Ryan Miller while dumping Eddie Lack for a 3rd-round pick; moving Kassian for an elderly Prust; etc. - which is why there is a patent lack of enthusiasm here. Everyone can sense that there is a high risk of ending up in a purgatorial no-man's land.

I believe that what's really going on is that ownership has zero faith that the fanbase will continue to buy tickets if the team goes for a full-on rebuild. And, frankly, they are correct in this. Just look at the BC Lions, down to about 18 000 fans per game because of a couple of mediocre seasons.

They're claiming to be 'retooling.' The rhetoric is that they will 'remain competitive' while getting younger. Most fans can see the blatant tensions involved - e.g., keeping an old an expensive Ryan Miller while dumping Eddie Lack for a 3rd-round pick; moving Kassian for an elderly Prust; etc. - which is why there is a patent lack of enthusiasm here. Everyone can sense that there is a high risk of ending up in a purgatorial no-man's land.

I believe that what's really going on is that ownership has zero faith that the fanbase will continue to buy tickets if the team goes for a full-on rebuild. And, frankly, they are correct in this. Just look at the BC Lions, down to about 18 000 fans per game because of a couple of mediocre seasons.

The thing about Vancouver is that they are the most financially successful non-Original Six franchise but their owners are not very financially stable. Technically the Canucks can afford a lengthy rebuild but ownership needs every penny the Canucks can generate. Making the playoffs last season when they probably shouldn't have made things worse. If they don't this year (quite possible), ownership will freak out at the loss of playoff revenue.

I have never seen hockey fans as fickle as Canucks fans. If the team is winning they will gladly pay though the nose for tickets, but the moment they start loosing you will have trouble filling the seats with half price tickets. Having been to NHL games in Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver, there does seem to be something missing with the atmosphere / design of GM place.

I have never seen hockey fans as fickle as Canucks fans. If the team is winning they will gladly pay though the nose for tickets, but the moment they start loosing you will have trouble filling the seats with half price tickets. Having been to NHL games in Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver, there does seem to be something missing with the atmosphere / design of GM place.

Detroit beats them historically and in modern days. If the Red Wings are losing 3-1 going into the third period, you'll see people leaving the arena. They don't even wait for a comeback.

That said, I think it's quite acceptable for fans to not goto games when a team is doing poorly. Blind support leads to franchises that constantly fail. The Chicago Blackhawks would not be the powerhouse they are today if fans didn't rebel against Wirtz and make Blackhawks games less attended than Coyotes games.

There does seem to be something distinctive about Vancouver fans, based on my decade of living here and observing them up close. They have an underlying attitude that combines entitlement with considerable resentment. It's fundamentally not fair, they seem to feel, that they've never won the Cup; and there is a simmering alienation perpetually lurking just below the surface. They also have a bizarre history of actively dissing or failing to appreciate terrific players (the Sedins, Luongo) while canonizing complete asshats (Bertuzzi) and plumbers. All fan-bases have a huge per centage of bozos, but all this combines to create a peculiarly unattractive fan culture IMHO.

Canucks used to be one of my west teams (along with San Jose until Useless Joe arrived) until the whole Sundin thing. The fans started this really weird rivalry with the Leafs because they got Sundin for a couple games. I couldn't understand it at all.

To be fair, every fanbase has their plumber obsession. We got Habs fans here who still dream of Chris Nilan sugarplums dancing in their heads. Bertuzzi scored 40 goals and had 90 points for the Canucks in one season. For about two or three years he was the premiere power forward in the league. Of course they treat him like Wendel Clark. Heck I was pissed when I kept hearing the Habs were gonna trade a package around Jose Theodore for a package around Todd Bertuzzi and instead the Canucks dealt him to Florida.

It's probably just a proximity thing. You see how the awful local homer fans are like all the time. I bet if we lived near Columbus we'd think the same of Blue Jackets fans.

Canucks used to be one of my west teams (along with San Jose until Useless Joe arrived) until the whole Sundin thing. The fans started this really weird rivalry with the Leafs because they got Sundin for a couple games. I couldn't understand it at all.

To be fair, every fanbase has their plumber obsession. We got Habs fans here who still dream of Chris Nilan sugarplums dancing in their heads. Bertuzzi scored 40 goals and had 90 points for the Canucks in one season. For about two or three years he was the premiere power forward in the league. Of course they treat him like Wendel Clark. Heck I was pissed when I kept hearing the Habs were gonna trade a package around Jose Theodore for a package around Todd Bertuzzi and instead the Canucks dealt him to Florida.

It's probably just a proximity thing. You see how the awful local homer fans are like all the time. I bet if we lived near Columbus we'd think the same of Blue Jackets fans.

Bertuzzi is a particular sore-point for me. I moved here in the year of the Moore incident, and after it happened I saw a HUGE percentage of fans jumping to Bertuzzi's defence. (Moore is 'faking it,' he 'deserved it,' it's 'the code,' etc., etc.). Before that moment I'd been considering adopting the Canucks as my second-favourite team, but after that all I could feel was disgust.

In any case, while I agree that all fan-bases have a big proportion of dummies, I think there are real distinctions between the attitudes and assumptions of various fan-bases, just as there are in the culture and vibe of different cities themselves. There's something distinctively resentful in Vancouver that isn't at play in Montreal, say. (On the other hand, Montreal fans have historically shown a very ugly tendency to scapegoat specific individual players and subject them to merciless round-the-clock booing - c.f. Brisebois, but it goes back to J.C. Tremblay apparently. I haven't seen the same thing in Van, for instance).

Anaheim signs Jakob Silfverberg to a 4 year deal worth $3.75 M per year. If he keeps up his postseason play, that will be a very good deal. Interestingly, this only takes away one UFA year.

Id love to trade Ellers contract for this guy.

Id love to trade Ellers contract for this guy.

I think pretty much everyone would (except for Anaheim unfortunately).

Let the fun begin with the Mike Richards situation. As expected, the NHLPA has filed a grievance over his contract termination. The Kings have some cap space right now; if they were smart, they'd hold on to it until this gets settled.

Emelin skating with Scherbak and Juulsen.

Therrien said he feels Galchenyuk is close to becoming a centre but doesn't want to put him in a position that will ruin his confidence. Also said he considers Semin a "nice challenge" and that we're no longer in the "my way or the highway" days. Says he recognizes his game breaking ability. Also said Pacioretty is ahead of schedule.

Guest Stogey24

Looks like Lars was at Therrien's golf tourney. Obviously no hard feelings between the two. Or Larry is trying to suck up to get some powerplay time next year.

Ah, summer time. Everyone is best pals, Lars loves coach, coach is happy to have Semin, it's all peaches and cream.

And then, about five games in, Semin is stapled to the bench, Lars is still being 'handled'...and we're back to normal :)

Emelin skating with Scherbak and Juulsen.

Therrien said he feels Galchenyuk is close to becoming a centre but doesn't want to put him in a position that will ruin his confidence. Also said he considers Semin a "nice challenge" and that we're no longer in the "my way or the highway" days. Says he recognizes his game breaking ability. Also said Pacioretty is ahead of schedule.

Was therrien's no longer "my way or the highway" referring to himself not being stubborn or semin not being stubborn?