2015 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

The Leafs made another addition to their analytics department, hiring Bruce Peter. Why am I mentioning this? Bruce used to post here regularly up until a few years ago under the username saskhab. He joined the Saskatoon Blades a couple of years ago before making this move. http://www.saskatoonblades.com/article/blades-statistical-analyst-is-going-pro

Congrats to him...even though it's the Leafs.

And that's why this is the best Habs forum on the net; the majority of the conversations are from intelligent people with well thought out ideas. That's great to hear about saskhab, but there must be a part of him dying on the inside joining the bad guys.

And that's why this is the best Habs forum on the net; the majority of the conversations are from intelligent people with well thought out ideas. That's great to hear about saskhab, but there must be a part of him dying on the inside joining the bad guys.

Congrats Saskhab---- Agreed illWill--- Sometimes the material gets a little suspect during the summer doldrums but for the most part is as good as any and better than most.

I passed everyone's comments onto Bruce the other day. Obviously he can't comment publicly but he was appreciative of your messages.

The LA situation just got more interesting with Slava Voynov being taken into custody by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement. He now faces a hearing with an immigration judge. One possible outcome is that his work Visa gets revoked. (Now that would be actual grounds for a material breach like they're trying to pull with Richards.) There could also be a scenario where if he leaves the country, he won't be let back in for a certain period of time. With three Canadian divisional opponents, that too could be grounds for a breach of contract.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/la-sp-0904-kings-voynov-20150904-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=53285

Congrats Saskhab---- Agreed illWill--- Sometimes the material gets a little suspect during the summer doldrums but for the most part is as good as any and better than most.

Hockey I/O has many good posters (some of whom post on here as well). But it also has a higher number of blatherskites and morons to wade through; and besides, I much prefer the format of this site, which makes it easier to organize discussion by theme.

Things got off the rails around here somewhat last season, when the bitterness quotient skyrocketed despite the Habs turning in their best season in years. Nonetheless, yes, this remains the best place going for intelligent Habs discussion, by and large.

Interesting stats on Plekanec in winninghabit write up.

With a good 15-16 season he will pass Gainey & Carbonneau.

He is 8th in career points, 7th +/-, 6th games played of 2001 draftees, not bad for a 3rd rounder.

Hudon had similar stats (bit better but only 1 year so far) as Plekanec did in AHL, would be sweet if he can have a similar career.

Well.. I may not be able to contribute to intelligent hockey discussions here, but I sure get to benefit from them. And of course congrats to saskhab and may God rest his soul. .... :pray:

Well.. I may not be able to contribute to intelligent hockey discussions here, but I sure get to benefit from them. And of course congrats to saskhab and may God rest his soul. .... :pray:

He didn't die. He just went to work for the leafs. Oh wait.... Ya. ..

David Savard cashed in on his good 2014-15 season in a big way. He signed a five year, $21.5 M extension today that kicks in following the upcoming season. He had 36 points in 82 games last year (but just 25 in 105 before that).

3 on 3 overtime, just how will fans take to it?

I cant see it as anything but an improvement on 4 on 4.

(seeing as ties arnt coming back anytime soon)

How will Habs likely fare and what trio(s) would you run out there? 76-67-14 & 26-27-Semin

How will Habs likely fare and what trio(s) would you run out there? 76-67-14 & 26-27-Semin

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Subban

Petry - Plekanec - Gallagher

Ugghhh. They just devalued an OT win to about the same as a SO win. I think after the SO a selected player should have a juggling contest. The winner will be decided by the refs.

• Upvote 1

Ugghhh. They just devalued an OT win to about the same as a SO win. I think after the SO a selected player should have a juggling contest. The winner will be decided by the refs.

If it cuts down on shootouts, then it's the lesser of two evils.

• Upvote 1

Yup I agree. Hate ties, don't like shootouts, so this will be more exciting I hope.

Yeah, although I'd add that were the NHL to adopt my hobby-horse - ZERO points for a tie - they could eliminate all of this nonsense altogether.

(Someone else on this board posted another format that would have the same result and was less shocking to traditional sensibilities, but I forget the exact formula).

Yeah, although I'd add that were the NHL to adopt my hobby-horse - ZERO points for a tie - they could eliminate all of this nonsense altogether.

(Someone else on this board posted another format that would have the same result and was less shocking to traditional sensibilities, but I forget the exact formula).

Lot of us asked for :

3 pts for a win in regulation or overtime.

1 pt for a win in shootout.

0 pt for a loss of any kind.

• Upvote 1

I am not sure why we can't just go with 2 points for a win be it shoot out or overtime, o for a loss, no ties. It would get rid of the "loser point" Have no idea why a team gets 1 point making it through 3 periods without losing. I have heard all the reasons but it is crap, you win or you lose. Period.

Here's a mock lineup of the best remaining UFA's on the market. This includes players signed only to PTO's for training camp. How much success, if any, would this team have?

Forwards:

Glencross - Gomez - Tlusty
Cole - Boyes - Erat
Upshall - Weiss - Stempniak
Fleischmann - D. Roy - Ryder

Scratches: Bernier, Jokinen, Kennedy, Paille

Defence:

Franson - Zidlicky
Hejda - Leopold
Gleason - Visnovsky
Scratches: Meszaros, Volchenkov

Goalies:

Gustavsson

Emery

Harding (if healthy)

• Upvote 1

100% agree

I am not sure why we can't just go with 2 points for a win be it shoot out or overtime, o for a loss, no ties. It would get rid of the "loser point" Have no idea why a team gets 1 point making it through 3 periods without losing. I have heard all the reasons but it is crap, you win or you lose. Period.

The only problem with this model is that it retains the shootout; indeed, it magnifies the importance of SO wins (which I gather was the original problem with it). It would, however, motivate teams to try to win in regulation or OT rather than wait for the SO and take the loser point.

The 3 point system seems ideal, but would, obviously, throw regular season points totals out of whack with historical norms. A minor irritant perhaps, but offensive to traditionalists.

I still like my 'tie = a loss' approach because it gets rid of the SO altogether; and it would lead to the most crazily end-to-end third periods ever seen, as teams desperately try to win the damned game lest they come away with nothing. However, most fans seem to find the idea of not awarding a point for ties to be scandalous. This proposal would produce the most entertaining hockey, however, and that's why I still defend it.

Regular season points are already out of wack. My he introduction of OT and the loser point allowed Detroit to break Montreal's single season point mark. Having said that, I like the simplicity of 2 points for a win - regardless of the type of win and nothing for a loss.

The only problem with this model is that it retains the shootout; indeed, it magnifies the importance of SO wins (which I gather was the original problem with it). It would, however, motivate teams to try to win in regulation or OT rather than wait for the SO and take the loser point.

The 3 point system seems ideal, but would, obviously, throw regular season points totals out of whack with historical norms. A minor irritant perhaps, but offensive to traditionalists.

I still like my 'tie = a loss' approach because it gets rid of the SO altogether; and it would lead to the most crazily end-to-end third periods ever seen, as teams desperately try to win the damned game lest they come away with nothing. However, most fans seem to find the idea of not awarding a point for ties to be scandalous. This proposal would produce the most entertaining hockey, however, and that's why I still defend it.

• Upvote 1

Since we are going to a period of 4 on 4 and then 3on 3. I don't see many shoot outs happening. This may be the way to end it. I think with the new rules the hockey will be very interesting in overtime, but I don't think teams really want to go there so the incentive is there to win. I sure as heck don't want to face crosby Malkin and kessell on a 3 on 3. Better to get the game over before that. Nope 2 points for a win 0 for a loss spoken by a traditionalist who hated ties. And never much liked shoot outs.

I just want to see less shootouts, not particularly a fan of it, never have been. The debate over 0 points for a loss is one I won't bother arguing or thinking about, less shootouts is what matters most to me.

• Upvote 1

I like the shootout and so does the league so you might want to brainstorm options on how to make it work for you ;)

3 on 3 is silly to me. When was the last time you saw it during an actual game? I say just toss three pucks on the ice like a pinball bonus if we are going to get unnatural.

• Upvote 1

Actually even are 3 on 3 hockey tournaments. And yes is a pond hockey type deal and no question is more 'hockey-like' than the goofy skills competition of shootout. I would even prefer to see ties to get rid of shootout.

But, have no fear all will love seeing best players in world in wide open end to end play and in the end you will still your much beloved shootout, just not as often..