Training Camp Roster

dlbalr

7 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Condon, Sergachev, McCarron are safe guesses. Lehkonen vs. Carr/Andrighetto... don't know where they go. Lehkonen has had a better camp but Carr is a tough nut to crack and Ghetto had a good rookie year. 

In an ideal world, it would be Condon, Emelin, Desharnais, and Sergachev.

Pretty sure Emelin is wayyyy ahead of barberio and Redmond  on the depth chart....

18 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I haven't been following the first week very closely, but doesn't Lehkonen have 0 points? That can be a problem.

1 assist in 3 games so far.  He has played pretty well though.  I wouldn't pencil him into a top six spot to start - I'd start him on the 3rd line and have him work his way into more of a scoring role as the season progresses, allowing Shaw at that time to move back down in the lineup.

On a side note, here are the preseason stats if anyone's interested: http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/montreal-canadiens-team-stats?season=2016&category=SCORING&time=1

22 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I haven't been following the first week very closely, but doesn't Lehkonen have 0 points? That can be a problem.

Therrien was asked about this.  He said they arent evaluating based on points, and are very impressed with Artturi's game. 

23 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

No points might look like a problem but he seemed to me anyway to have a lot more defensive responsibilities which might indicate they are looking for him to play with Pleks and Radulov in the two way shut down role. In that regard he has done a great job so far. The points will come he has a great shot.

Like I said I expect Radulov to be the play maker on that line with Pleks and Lehkonen as the shooters.

Of course I could be totally wrong and Lehkonen might be sent back to Europe at the end of preseason but I hope that doesn't happen

Guest Stogey24
41 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

He's a hit couple posts and been right on the door step of a couple. 

5 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

He's got some pretty stiff competition if he's going to be the guy that gets 0 goals. We've got a whole bottom six of 'em.

It's three preseason games.  That's not often an indication of potential regular season production...  If it is, Paul Byron's in for a career year.

36 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's three preseason games.  That's not often an indication of potential regular season production...  If it is, Paul Byron's in for a career year.

Byron first line confirmed. Adjust your fantasy leagues accordingly. 

;)

seriously though, McCarron has shown major strides heading into his 2nd pro season. early predictions of him being no more then brian boyle maybe a little premature as he's starting to show he can be more then that with consistent goal mouth presence. his performance at the rookie and main camp warrant his making the team... but oh the politics, namely david deharnais. 

my guess is he gets sent down temporarily (and does very well), while bergevin maneuvers in order to make room for him permanently. the pressure is really going to be on DD to perform this year!

He's proven he belongs on the team?  What

The rookie camp?  He scored goals in the rookie camp so that warrants him making the team? 50% of the guys in that tournament are now playing in third and fourth tier leagues.

Main camp... he scored a goal on Chris Dreidger, after beating an AHL defenceman to the net.

He looked bad against the Leafs and was victimized by Morgan Rielly on the goal... beaten badly.

Ok great, he's looked good against AHLers and ECHLers... but thats not proving he's ready.  He still needs more time. 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ok great, he's looked good against AHLers and ECHLers... but thats not proving he's ready.  He still needs more time. 

I agree that more time in AHL, playing top minutes with PP and PK time will not hurt him one bit and can only help him in long run.

But you know there are just as many who think he has done enough to warrant a spot on opening day.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The rookie camp?  He scored goals in the rookie camp so that warrants him making the team? 50% of the guys in that tournament are now playing in third and fourth tier leagues.

Main camp... he scored a goal on Chris Dreidger, after beating an AHL defenceman to the net.

He looked bad against the Leafs and was victimized by Morgan Rielly on the goal... beaten badly.

hes been better then all of carr, andrighetto, hudon, lehkonan, and any other player trying to make the team...so YES based on play over 2 camps hes done everything he needs to start on the team and would be if MB didnt have a million one way contracts and an ultimatum with atturi to deal with.....

your take on Mike McCarron is biased to say the least....

10 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

hes been better then all of carr, andrighetto, hudon, lehkonan, and any other player trying to make the team...so YES based on play over 2 camps hes done everything he needs to start on the team and would be if MB didnt have a million one way contracts and an ultimatum with atturi to deal with.....

your take on Mike McCarron is biased to say the least....

He's a centre, not a winger, that has been proven many times.  He's much better at centre than on the wing, so he's not competing with carr, andrighetto, hudon or lehkonen.

Given that he is a centre, the guy he's competing with is DD.  You know this, you said it in your first post. Comparing McC to the wingers is just dishonest, cause we both know that isn't the spot he's competing for. 

Don't talk to me about bias against McCarron when your bias against DD is just as bad or worse. 

8 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

im saying he's out performed everybody who is trying to make the team.... politics at this point are keeping him on the outside looking in... not because other players are more ready then him!

Politics?

By Politics, do you actually mean the depth chart at centre... cause there is no politics involved in the fact that he is behind Chuck, Plek, DD and Mitchell right now.  

He needs to develop the offence before he can play on the third line centre spot.  We don't score enough in the top 6, we don't need a guy who scored 2 points in 20 games as the number 3 centre.  Go to St. John's, develop the offense and maybe come back in December/January, or if not next season. 

Guest Stogey24

I'm a huge McCarron supporter, but he hasn't looked very good in any of the pre season games. 

He had a great goal in his first game. Other than that, not really sure he's done enough to make the team. 

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

I'm a huge McCarron supporter, but he hasn't looked very good in any of the pre season games. 

He had a great goal in his first game. Other than that, not really sure he's done enough to make the team. 

I would like to see McCarron go to the AHL, repeat the 1st half of season of last year and be an impact player there. Who knows, maybe that 3rd line centre spot opens up sooner than later.

On 10/3/2016 at 10:53 AM, dlbalr said:

Nine more cuts today:

Jeremiah Addison (to Windsor, not St. John's)

Daniel Audette

Jacob de la Rose

Jeremy Gregoire

Charles Hudon

Charlie Lindgren

Stefan Matteau*

Nikita Scherbak

Chris Terry*

Both cleared.

I'm glad both of them made it through - I was a little worried about Terry as he had basically been a regular for the last couple of years and he was their one signing this offseason made to try help St. John's subpar scoring.

6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Yeah, can't miss out on the spectacular value that Matteau brings to the Canadiens.

I'm not looking at it in terms of him helping the Habs this year but I'd like to actually follow a farm team that isn't basically out of the playoff picture by late February.  Matteau can certainly help St. John's in a 2nd/3rd line role.

Just now, dlbalr said:

I'm not looking at it in terms of him helping the Habs this year but I'd like to actually follow a farm team that isn't basically out of the playoff picture by late February.  Matteau can certainly help St. John's in a 2nd/3rd line role.

Fair enough, I wasn't thinking of him of what he actually is (AHL third liner)