Dec. 10, Avalanche vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

You play hard from start to finish. 

I never once criticized Columbus for burying us 10-0, just to be clear. 

I'm not gonna criticize a D for making a hit in a 10-1 game.  Could he have done something else?  I don't want him to think about the score, I want him to make the best defensive play he can.  I don't want him to let up or half ass it cause the score. 

1 hour ago, CerebusClone said:

If Emelin goes for the solid, clean shoulder-to-shoulder check on Colborne, I think everyone agrees that it is part of the game. Emelin cannot ignore his duties, and let Colborne skate past him, and get a good scoring opportunity. However in this case Emelin actually went for the more spectacular, dangerous, bending-over-to-reach-the-lower-body clipping type of hit. There was no need for that, and he knew what he was doing. Emelin wasn't going for a check, he was going for the somersault.

Is called a hip-check and not clipping.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Is called a hip-check and not clipping.

First that's why I said clipping-type hit... the line between hip check and clipping is very thin... and both can be dangerous. 

Second he actually did get 2 minutes for clipping ... 

But anyway like I said I don't care about the hit itself, I care more about him about going for the spectacular play, and possibly risking retaliation on one of his teammates. The Avalanche were down, they were humiliated, they just wanted to leave Montreal to move on to their next game in Toronto. There was no need to risk waking them up, possibly leading to harder hits and possibly guys dropping gloves in the last 6 minutes. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, CerebusClone said:

Actually technically his hit was penalized, he got 2 minutes for clipping, so not that clean in the eyes of the referee ;)  Although I do think it was a legal hipceck, and not exactly clipping, but the referee was smart enough to kick Emelin out for the rest of the game 

Oxymoronic statement. You mean you like and would promote situational 'unwritten' rules and officiating? In last minute of a superbowl, a hold is called exact same as if it was the 1st quarter of a pre-season game. Whereas; NHL owners make it very hard for refs to objectively officiate because of their ever changing demands. 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm not gonna criticize a D for making a hit in a 10-1 game.  Could he have done something else?  I don't want him to think about the score, I want him to make the best defensive play he can.  I don't want him to let up or half ass it cause the score. 

I agree with you on that... I don't believe in guys letting up because of the score. However there's still a difference with going for the strong shoulder hit - which also would have stopped Colborne - and the dangerous hip check. As soon as I saw him bending over and skating towards Colborne, it was obvious it would stir the Avalache... thankfully it was an again Iginla (10 years later maybe Iginla does more) and thankfully the Avalanche didn't retaliate. 

2 minutes ago, CerebusClone said:

First that's why I said clipping-type hit... the line between hip check and clipping is very thin... and both can be dangerous. 

Second he actually did get 2 minutes for clipping ... 

But anyway like I said I don't care about the hit itself, I care more about him about going for the spectacular play, and possibly risking retaliation on one of his teammates. The Avalanche were down, they were humiliated, they just wanted to leave Montreal to move on to their next game in Toronto. There was no need to risk waking them up, possibly leading to harder hits and possibly guys dropping gloves in the last 6 minutes. 

I thought fans like seeing Beaulieu duking it out?

Colborne tried to make a play.  Emelin had a split second to decide what to do.  I'm not going to criticize his decision to throw a clean hit, by saying he could have done something else. 

I want the player to make the play he thinks is the best defensive play there.  If its a hip check, so be it. 

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Oxymoronic statement. You mean you like and would promote situational 'unwritten' rules and officiating? In last minute of a superbowl, a hold is called exact same as if it was the 1st quarter of a pre-season game. Whereas; NHL owners make it very hard for refs to objectively officiate because of their ever changing demands. 

No, but the referees had to find a way to make sure Emelin didn't get back in the ice after that brawl. They gave him six minutes, they used clipping, but they could have easily used a number of other penalties to do the same trick (he did try to punch Iginla from behind while he was being held down by 2 referees, maybe a 10-min unsportsmanlike penalty like for that would have worked).  

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Colborne tried to make a play.  Emelin had a split second to decide what to do.  I'm not going to criticize his decision to throw a clean hit, by saying he could have done something else. 

I want the player to make the play he thinks is the best defensive play there.  If its a hip check, so be it. 

I respect your opinion... as long as you guarantee me that if Jack Johnson had done the same thing to Alex Radulov when the Habs lost 10-0, you would have defended Johnson when people in Montreal had criticized him on this board. 

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

To expand on this, did everyone notice how all the Habs were playing with unbridled confidence once the game was out of reach?

For most players that turns into a little extra pizzazz on your passing plays.

For Emelin, that turns into Joe Colborne flying first class. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CerebusClone said:

I respect your opinion... as long as you guarantee me that if Jack Johnson had done the same thing to Alex Radulov when the Habs lost 10-0, you would have defended Johnson when people in Montreal had criticized him on this board. 

You can go look at my posts on any blowout, including the Columbus one.  If you don't like what the other team is doing, stop them from doing it. 

If it was a legal hit, i have no issue with it. 

If it was something dirty, i would complain, yes... but thats the same in 5-4 game too. 

I'm with CerebusClone on this one.

I don't mind Emelin hitting Colbourne.

What I have a problem with is choosing the big hip check when the game is a blowout.

Emelin put his health and, I hope not, his teammates' health in jeopardy by doing that.

On February 7th, there will be retaliation.  I know it, you know it, everybody knows it.  We can only hope it will not result in a serious injury.

2 hours ago, CerebusClone said:

No, but the referees had to find a way to make sure Emelin didn't get back in the ice after that brawl. They gave him six minutes, they used clipping, but they could have easily used a number of other penalties to do the same trick (he did try to punch Iginla from behind while he was being held down by 2 referees, maybe a 10-min unsportsmanlike penalty like for that would have worked).  

The guy who actually got hit, jumped up and seemed to accept the hit.

Yes and the refs pulled some penalties out of their asses because of the situation (or were told to on their headphones), not because he actually deserved them...that is my main beef.

39 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Emelin put his health and, I hope not, his teammates' health in jeopardy by doing that.

Better bubblewrap all the players then?

On February 7th, there will be retaliation.  I know it, you know it, everybody knows it. Habs PP is pretty good, so bring it on! We can only hope it will not result in a serious injury. Are you serious Joe?

3 hours ago, CerebusClone said:

Actually technically his hit was penalized, he got 2 minutes for clipping, so not that clean in the eyes of the referee ;)  Although I do think it was a legal hipceck, and not exactly clipping, but the referee was smart enough to kick Emelin out for the rest of the game 

I still think he could have gone for the shoulder hit, and not the more spectacular and dangerous hip check. 

But it's the type of hit where we defend our own players, and criticize the opponent's. Like Carey Price on Palmieri, since he's a Hab we found many ways to justify him pummeling a guy lying down on the ice with blocker punches (and being held down by Petry - who had actually pushed Palmieri into Price), like he had to defend himself, or he missed the head of the first so it's ok. Or when a player crashed the net and makes contact with the golaie, we love it when Gallagher does it, but we hated Kreider for doing it in the playoffs... unlike Emelin in this case, we didn't try to justify Kreider just doing his job he's pad for, going hard for the net, and try to score  

I don't remember Gally crashing skates-first into a goalie's knee. But if he has indeed done that, then I stand corrected. I never defend attempts to injure, except maybe when it's a case of targeting a known headhunter, as with Kovalev elbowing Tucker. As for the ref penalizing Emelin, that was of a piece with the laughable non-call when an Avs guy shot the puck over the glass (an automatic penalty, supposedly). In other words, the refs were making calls based purely on considerations with no connection to the rulebook. Everyone on earth knows it was a clean check.

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't remember Gally crashing skates-first into a goalie's knee. But if he has indeed done that, then I stand corrected. I never defend attempts to injure, except maybe when it's a case of targeting a known headhunter, as with Kovalev elbowing Tucker.

Actually that's what I meant earlier when talking about how things are different when the other team does it, or trying to justify our players' actions. You bring up crashing skate first into a goalie, insinuating that Kreider was trying to intentionally injure Price. You don't mention that Kreider must play hard all game long, must make the best play he can think of in a split second, in this case skating hard towards the middle to get the free puck before the Canadiens' defensemen or possibly Price coming out of his net (in this case unfortunately ending up out of balance right in front of Price, also while Emelin swinging at his legs with his stick) ... but of course when Gallagher go hard at the net, but ends up making contact with the other goalie, that's just hard work.

54 minutes ago, CerebusClone said:

Actually that's what I meant earlier when talking about how things are different when the other team does it, or trying to justify our players' actions. You bring up crashing skate first into a goalie, insinuating that Kreider was trying to intentionally injure Price. You don't mention that Kreider must play hard all game long, must make the best play he can think of in a split second, in this case skating hard towards the middle to get the free puck before the Canadiens' defensemen or possibly Price coming out of his net (in this case unfortunately ending up out of balance right in front of Price, also while Emelin swinging at his legs with his stick) ... but of course when Gallagher go hard at the net, but ends up making contact with the other goalie, that's just hard work.

Whatever. Kreider made no attempt not to smash into Price's knee, but there was enough ambiguity in the play - as with last year's hit on McDavid- to let the culprit off the hook. When Gally injures a goalie, that will also be a BS play. But a clean check is, as I say, a clean check, quite a different animal from plays like Kreider's.

Well he was at it again with another beauty hip xhrck on our "favourite" brad marchand...

emelin has  really found his game again... maybe being paired with weber has him reborn, or at the very least regrown his b@lls

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Well he was at it again with another beauty hip xhrck on our "favourite" brad marchand...

emelin has  really found his game again... maybe being paired with weber has him reborn, or at the very least regrown his b@lls

He's Hab of the week, that's for sure:thumbs_up:

• Upvote 1

Emelin just might be the best hitting defenseman in the league, I think he's having a fine bounce back season, and is a part of this team that I don't want to see traded. This team is too soft up front, we need this type somewhere in the lineup, and he looks great playing with Weber.