Jan. 26, Montreal vs NY Islanders, 7 PM

dlbalr

One of the worst efforts of the year.  Honestly, I think this was worse than the Columbus game.

The Columbus game, the score was out of hand when they quit.

This game, it was winnable in the third period and they brought nothing. 

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

One of the worst efforts of the year.  Honestly, I think this was worse than the Columbus game.

The Columbus game, the score was out of hand when they quit.

This game, it was winnable in the third period and they brought nothing. 

I felt this way also; this team should have been motivated going into that third period, knowing they'd gotten away with murder scoreboardwise thanks to Carey, and come out determined to steal the game.  Their lack of intensity over the final 20min was sickening.

12 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Andrew Shaw is on the team to bring energy. Rarely does he ever do anything that would spark his team

Really, seems to be doing fine, other than the couple tantrums he has had.

11 hours ago, sbhatt said:

And of course, Ottawa fights back from their 2 goal deficit to tie the game late and guarantee yet another point (or two) gained on the Habs.

So what?

Was funny watching Tavares walking right through Hab forwards again and again, he is one skilled player. Feel bad for Price, who did his best.

Lehkonen & Danault had 9 shots between them and Weber's shot almost ripped goalies glove off on his goal, but besides that, not a lot of positives.

Boone pointed out de la Rose & Flynn may not of been the pair to match up 4 on 4 vs Tavares/Ladd and Tavares wins faceoff and Ladd gets the winner.

21 minutes ago, DON said:

Was funny watching Tavares walking right through Hab forwards again and again, he is one skilled player. Feel bad for Price, who did his best.

Lehkonen & Danault had 9 shots between them and Weber's shot almost ripped goalies glove off on his goal, but besides that, not a lot of positives.

Boone pointed out de la Rose & Flynn may not of been the pair to match up 4 on 4 vs Tavares/Ladd and Tavares wins faceoff and Ladd gets the winner.

Well, it is Weight who did match Tavares and Laad against DLR and Flynn.

But I hear you.  Maybe MT should have played at least one of Plek or Danault expecting Tavares to be on the ice a lot during this 4 vs 4.

But I must admit that I don't remember if Danault and/or Plekanec just got off the ice at that point.  Maybe they took first shifts of  the 4 vs 4...

5 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Well, it is Weight who did match Tavares and Laad against DLR and Flynn.

But I hear you.  Maybe MT should have played at least one of Plek or Danault expecting Tavares to be on the ice a lot during this 4 vs 4.

But I must admit that I don't remember if Danault and/or Plekanec just got off the ice at that point.  Maybe they took first shifts of  the 4 vs 4...

Still a bit of a surprise that one of Mitchell, Danault, Plekanec or Flynn didn't take the defensive face off, but Therrien at least showed faith in de la Rose I suppose.

1 hour ago, DON said:

So what?

So...the standings are important, because if we don't win our division we'd have to face a tough opponent in the 1st round of the playoffs.  And if you look at those standings, Ottawa is now only 7 points behind us with 3 games in hand.  That's the 'so what' from a hockey standpoint.

And on a personal note, I live in an area rife with Sens fans, and I have to hear a lot of chirping when the Sens are surging and the Habs are sucking.

9 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

So...the standings are important, because if we don't win our division we'd have to face a tough opponent in the 1st round of the playoffs.  And if you look at those standings, Ottawa is now only 7 points behind us with 3 games in hand.  That's the 'so what' from a hockey standpoint.

Normally that's the case but the way things are looking based on the Wild Card, there's a good chance the Habs would get a tougher opponent in the first round by finishing first than if they finish second.  A first place division finish would line them up with the first Wild Card team, likely 4th in the Metro Division (one of NYR/PIT as things stand).  A second place division finish would line them up with the third place team in the division (likely one of OTT/TOR as things stand).

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Normally that's the case but the way things are looking based on the Wild Card, there's a good chance the Habs would get a tougher opponent in the first round by finishing first than if they finish second.  A first place division finish would line them up with the first Wild Card team, likely 4th in the Metro Division (one of NYR/PIT as things stand).  A second place division finish would line them up with the third place team in the division (likely one of OTT/TOR as things stand).

Am I crazy for wanting the NYR since we absolutely own Lundqvist?  I'd be fine with playing the Leafs, but we have a way of playing our absolute worst against the Sens more often than not.

1 minute ago, sbhatt said:

Am I crazy for wanting the NYR since we absolutely own Lundqvist?  I'd be fine with playing the Leafs, but we have a way of playing our absolute worst against the Sens more often than not.

The Habs do well against him in the regular season but he had a pretty good run against the Habs in the playoffs a few years ago.  I think Montreal also benefited the other day by getting him when he was in a big slump.  He played a lot better the last couple of games. 

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

And on a personal note, I live in an area rife with Sens fans, and I have to hear a lot of chirping when the Sens are surging and the Habs are sucking.

We actually play an easier opponent (toronto or boston) by finishing second instead of first (rangers on crossover)

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

Sens have fans? Are months away from end of season, could really care less how every other team is doing right now and it is just the regular season. Home ice advantage and who they play seems to matter very little, they have to beat 3 of the other 7 teams.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

We are so far from the playoffs, it seems crazy to start predicting or slotting any teams yet.