Sean Avery = Grade A Moron

Leafs Suck

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=137855&hubName=nhl

Los Angeles Kings forward Sean Avery - never one to shy away from opinion - had plenty of strong words regarding Phoenix Coyotes defenceman Denis Gauthier and French Canadian hockey players.

When asked about the blueliner's hit on Kings teammate Jeremy Roenick in a preseason game Sunday night, Avery did not hold back digging into Gauthier and Quebec-born NHLers.

"I think it was a clean hit," he explained on Monday. "I think it was typical of most French guys in our league with a visor on, running around and playing tough and not back anything up."

"I'd think if a guy like Brett Hull was coming up the middle, somebody probably wouldn't have stepped up and hit him, but like I said, a typical move from a guy wearing a visor that certainly doesn't like to get scratched at all."

Gauthier insists he wasn't trying to injure Jeremy Roenick when he levelled the veteran Kings.

Roenick, who was livid with Gauthier after the game, suffered the 11th documented concussion of his career as a result of the clean hit that Gauthier delivered during the second period.

It isn't the first time Avery has made controversial remarks about the game.

During the NHL lockout, he told Toronto sports radio The Fan 590 that he wouldn't mind the possibility of dropping NHL teams and jobs at the expense of players from overseas.

"I think they can eliminate a lot of Europeans who are mediocre and are taking a lot of jobs," Avery told The Fan 590 in February.

When told that the NHL Players' Association did a lot of things for the best interests of all players - regardless of background - Avery maintained that it was his own opinion.

"The Association does a lot of things," he said. "I'm just talking for me."

When the lockout ended in July, Avery said NHL players were wrong and sorry while holding back no punches on NHLPA boss Bob Goodenow.

"We were brainwashed," he told the L.A. Times about the decision to follow the union's advice during contract talks with the owners.

"I am furious at Bob. Bob thought he was bigger than he was. Bob brainwashed players like me."

[Edited on 2005/9/27 by Leafs Suck]

He doesn't seem to have a problem with Quebec born players. His issue seems to be limited to Quebec born players who wear visors. That is fair I guess as we all know that Ontario born visor wearers (as well as non visor wearing Quebec born players) don't make clean, legal big hits on players during preseason. I see his point. A well thought out statement by Avery. :)

Originally posted by Rooster

He doesn't seem to have a problem with Quebec born players. His issue seems to be limited to Quebec born players who wear visors. That is fair I guess as we all know that Ontario born visor wearers (as well as non visor wearing Quebec born players) don't make clean, legal big hits on players during preseason. I see his point. A well thought out statement by Avery. :)

Was his "I think they can eliminate a lot of Europeans who are mediocre and are taking a lot of jobs," statement well thought out too?

He couldn't just say "players with visors", he had to say French born players. Obviously he has a huge issue with them. I figured that was obvious.

What if he said he has a problem with "black players who wear visors"... He'd be deemed a bigot. I see no difference in this.

I guess it all boils down to that ultimate monster.....a black european job stealing mediocre player who wears a visor. Lord behold! I have created a monster:)

Leafs, are you serious? I was being sarcastic with my post. Thought, if nothing else, that would be clear form my "That is fair I guess as we all know that Ontario born visor wearers (as well as non visor wearing Quebec born players) don't make clean, legal big hits" statement. Thought it was clear that I meant that his reasoning was,well, not reasoned.

Originally posted by jetsniper

Figures it's coming from a former Red Wing. Scrawny piece of crap.

Dunno what being an ex-Wing has to do with anything. Wings made a damn smart move getting rid of this clown for Matt Schneider.

I'm curious, how many French Canadian-hockey players who were visors are their in the NHL?

Gagne, Tanguay, Robitaille, Gauthier... Who else?

Originally posted by Leafs Suck
Originally posted by jetsniper

Figures it's coming from a former Red Wing. Scrawny piece of crap.

Dunno what being an ex-Wing has to do with anything. Wings made a damn smart move getting rid of this clown for Matt Schneider.

I'm curious, how many French Canadian-hockey players who were visors are their in the NHL?

Gagne, Tanguay, Robitaille, Gauthier... Who else?

Take a look at who I cheer for ;)

he should be suspended. It makes the whole league look bad when someone makes a racial remark to reporters like that. He barely has the skill to be a legitmate 4th liner in the league, yet he opens his mouth like JRetire and not only insulted French people but canadians as a whole.

Avery should be suspended and fined heavily.

JR should retire. He already has had too many concussions. Maybe he could take over as CBC's resident mouth when Don Cherry retires

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Was his "I think they can eliminate a lot of Europeans who are mediocre and are taking a lot of jobs," statement well thought out too?

Wasn't he one of those "superstars" who played for a couple of games in Europe during the lockout? This guy should shut the hell up, meeh, if he ever comes over to Europe again ... :guru: ;)

On RDS TV, this morning, a report was given in which Avery expressed his apologies for his statements.

The statement mentioned that it was not Avery's intention to hurt anyone and that it was not so much a statement of fact but something said in the heat of emotion.

Time to move on.

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

"I certainly did not want to offend anyone with my comments earlier today," the statement read. "I am an emotional guy who sometimes says things that shouldn't be said. I apologize if I offended anyone."

I suppose that this written statement is from a Kings press executive but surely not from Avery.

Avery is a complete idiot - why should we move on? The dude has to live with it, he said those crap. He should think before he's talking such things - period. This dude should get fined for it ... it seems like it isn't the first time that he's talking such crap. :wall:

What he should get is BELTED by the next french canadian "who can't back anything up" who happens by. You know, to show him perspective and humility for the bettering of his person:)

Originally posted by Rooster

What he should get is BELTED by the next french canadian "who can't back anything up" who happens by. You know, to show him perspective and humility for the bettering of his person:)

Someone like Georges Laraque who kicks the crap out of him? Or someone like Ian Lapperiere who breaks his neck with a clean hit? :D

The statement mentioned that it was not Avery's intention to hurt anyone

That is such a cop-out. Some people just wanna say anything they want, no matter how offensive, yet say it wasn't their attention to hurt anyone. PLease. Avery knew exactly what he was saying. Stick a mic infront of these guys and eventually the real morons will shine threw. Avery has a history of saying stupid and idotic things, he's a fringe player who should be thankful the NHL expanded. Maybe instead of shooting his mouth off about Europeans and French-Canadians he should work on his game.

Sean Avery is just looking to get his scrawny little name in the news because he is a nobody on a team as a spare part. How can you take a guy that scores 17 goals in 163 games seriously, which of all goals probably came when playing with Yzerman.

This is his 5 minutes of fame and I will just ignore this biggot! He will not be famous for anything else because he is small, stupid and a useless hockey player. If he was small and a goal scorer or small and gritty or small and gifted two way player this would still not be right. Maybe he can claim he was brain dead when he said these things.

[Edited on 2005/9/28 by Howie_Morenz]

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!

LALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You a funny man... got any marshmallows? ;););)

Read a quote from Ian lapperriere in the Journal de Quebec today. I dont know if its on the Net, but it was someting along the lines of "Avery is an egocentric who'll say anything to get the spotlight. We play them tomorrow (tonight) and he'll know where to find me. He'll have to own up to his comments. We played them the other day and every time I skated by him he was too afraid to look at me."

:P