Best Start in Habs History

TheMaxDaddy

Is this some more TSN BS? According to this article:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=14105...056&hubname=nhl

the Habs 7-2 record is their best start to a season ever.

Here's the excerpt:

"While Ottawa looks to rebound, Montreal is hoping to improve on the best start in the team's 88-year history. The Canadiens improved to 7-2 with their third straight win, 3-2 in overtime over Philadelphia on Tuesday."

Can anyone on this board collaborate this? Given all the success the team has had over the years, it's seem incredible to me that this is their best start ever.

Not sure about the ebst start part... but... check out the last paragraph of the story...

Montreal center Radek Bonk will be facing his former team for the first time. Bonk spent his first 10 seasons with Ottawa and amassed 399 points before leaving the Senators in a three-way deal with the Los Angeles Kings following the 2003-04 season.

... Guess they forgot that we played the Sens already once this season... and if my memory serves me right... Bonk DID play that game... :monkey:

Originally posted by TheMaxDaddy

Can anyone on this board collaborate this? Given all the success the team has had over the years, it's seem incredible to me that this is their best start ever.

Went looking but couldn't find any specific mention. However, it does seem reasonble when considering that the 3-0 start was the best in 27 years.

Oh...and the word is "corroborate."

While I never checked every year i figured I'd check the year they only had 8 losses. They also started off that season 7-2 as well. It was the 13th game before they got the 3rd loss that season. Gonna need some luck to match that start.

1976-77 Season

Montreal 10, Pittsburgh 1 W

Montreal 3, Vancouver 0 W

Buffalo 3, Montreal 1 L

Montreal 4, Detroit 2 W

Montreal 7, Philadelphia 1 W

Montreal 7, NY Rangers 4 W

Boston 5, Montreal 3 L

Montreal 6, Washington 0 W

Montreal 5, Toronto 3 W

Montreal 9, Pittsburgh 1 W

Montreal 4, NY Islanders 1 W

Montreal 4, Chicago 4 (tie) T

Boston 4, Montreal 3 L

Outscored Pitt 19-2 in two games. HA.

Originally posted by Macaskill

Not sure about the ebst start part... but... check out the last paragraph of the story...

Montreal center Radek Bonk will be facing his former team for the first time. Bonk spent his first 10 seasons with Ottawa and amassed 399 points before leaving the Senators in a three-way deal with the Los Angeles Kings following the 2003-04 season.

... Guess they forgot that we played the Sens already once this season... and if my memory serves me right... Bonk DID play that game... :monkey:

They must've corrected it. The article now says it's the first time he's played in the Corel Centre since he was traded...

Originally posted by JungleWolf

While I never checked every year i figured I'd check the year they only had 8 losses.  They also started off that season 7-2 as well.  It was the 13th game before they got the 3rd loss that season.  Gonna need some luck to match that start.  

1976-77 Season

Montreal 10, Pittsburgh 1  W

Montreal 3, Vancouver 0  W

Buffalo 3, Montreal 1  L

Montreal 4, Detroit 2  W

Montreal 7, Philadelphia 1  W

Montreal 7, NY Rangers 4  W

Boston 5, Montreal 3  L

Montreal 6, Washington 0  W

Montreal 5, Toronto 3  W

Montreal 9, Pittsburgh 1  W

Montreal 4, NY Islanders 1  W

Montreal 4, Chicago 4 (tie) T

Boston 4, Montreal 3  L

Outscored Pitt 19-2 in two games.  HA.

Two losses to Boston? Ouch. At least we know how it came out in the end.....:hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::/)

YEah it would be pretty hard to match that magical season. It'll be interesting to see how this team ends up stacking up against that 76-77 team...the greatest team of all time.

I would imagine a few of those other 70's teams would have had some pretty good starts

Originally posted by olematelot

Habs website said it's the best start since 82/83 when they started 7-1-1

That makes more sense. My first random glance at JungleWolf's good find (1943-44) showed a 11-0-3 start with them not losing their second game until their 16th match and not losing their 3rd until game 27.

Didn't they only have 10 losses all season in 1974-1975 or 1975-76 season?

1974-75 was the second year that Philly won the cup. I wonder how Montreal did that year starting the season.

I remember Ken Dryden saying once that if you include the preseason games and the play-offs, Montreal only lost 12 games in the 1976-77 season. Winning something like 79-80 games.

Wow. Thanks for all the effort on this. Way to 'collaberate' in not being able to 'corroborate' this story. Just goes to show how much those idiots at TSN suck.

I notice they have corrected the comment about Bonk. It now says he'll be playing his first game at the Corel Center as a habs.

Originally posted by ch_nl

88 year history?! Im sure I just read something about the Habs celebrating 100 years rather soon?

Maybe they only count the 88 years that the Habs have been kicking the crap out of the Leafs.

Originally posted by TheMaxDaddy
Originally posted by ch_nl

88 year history?! Im sure I just read something about the Habs celebrating 100 years rather soon?

Maybe they only count the 88 years that the Habs have been kicking the crap out of the Leafs.

hehehe yeah for TSN time began with the birth of the leaf, no recorded history previously!