Rumour: Ozolinsh for Souray - Team 990 MTL

Athlétique.Canadien

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people are displeased with Souray's defensive zone play, wait until they get a load of Ozolinsh. We do need a PP quarterback in the worst way, though Markov may still grow into that role.

I don't know what I think of that rumour.

I dont know if that is a good idea but you never know.

It only increases the habs payrole like 750 thou not a bad hit for a proven puck mover and goal scorer.

2 time 20+ goals 7 times 50+ points

I have quite a good initial feeling about this. Ozolinsh is a big guy who can really help out on the PP and with the Offense generally. Souray has neither been good at defense nor offense and I don't see any improvement coming in his game. The guy just had a half season of point shots going in the net and never had any offensive creativity. Souray is one of the most overated dman in the league. I don't think Ozolinsh is our number 1 stud (Markov is, I have loads of confidence in that guy's development).....but he does bring more to the Habs than Souray. Considering the current shortage of dman however, I would perfer trying to obtain Ozolinsh for a pick (other than a 1st) and a lower prospect. Don't think it can be done though (Ducks wise and cap wise).

[Edited on 2005/11/30 by Rooster]

Originally posted by marky_and_komi

fact is that we don't need a sandis ozolinsh, we need a better souray

Well said. Ozolish and Souray are very similar players, except that Souray is younger. I've never been the biggest Souray supporter, but I don't see Sandis as the answer.

I agree with M&K. I don't see the upside to this trade.

You dont trade players when they are devalued unless you really have no choice.

If souray can get better then maby.

Also both of these players are injured as of right now and both have injury problems and yes ozolinsh is older but tha habs have plenty of young defenders.

Either way I just want K rex Souray and MArkov all back in the lineup for a few games before we do anything hastey. This is a great team that is slumping I hope they are given a chance to rebound in late Decemeber when everyone is back and healthy (knock on wood) before the team is torn apart .

Originally posted by JMMR

Either way I just want K rex Souray and MArkov all back in the lineup for a few games before we do anything hastey. This is a great team that is slumping I hope they are given a chance to rebound in late Decemeber when everyone is back and healthy (knock on wood) before the team is torn apart .

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I cannot say anything more than what JMMR posted. Well done

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

I'd like to know how Ozolinsh is NOT an upgrade over Souray? Ozolinsh has been an all-star and top offensive defenseman his whole career. Souray had ONE good year, and even then he was injuried for 1/4 of it.

As usual Leafs Suck you are right. He is an upgrade offensively. Problem is he is a fourth forward on the ice and Montreal does not have a stud defenceman to back up his rushing the other teams net. Normally I would say do it if Montreal was strong defensively, but right now Souray is average defensively where Ozolinsh is YIKES! With a big Y. (I like Ozolinsh)

[Edited on 2005/11/30 by Howie_Morenz]

tha habs have plenty of young defenders.

Where are all these young defenders? Name one decent defender (besides Komisarek) the Habs have in the organization who is under 29 years old. Look at the guys we put out on the ice last night! Streit and Cote? Get real. Those guys have no business being in the NHL.

As much depth the organization has at the forward position, that is how weak it is on defence. The loss of Hainsey hurts, because he at least had potential and was decent enough to pitch in if the NHL squad needed him. Look at Hamilton. There are no defenders down there who I am confortable with having on an NHL roster.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Where are all these young defenders? Name one decent defender (besides Komisarek) the Habs have in the organization who is under 29 years old.

Andrei Markov.

I still think Souray can be the man if he gets settled down...

Anywayz, hey, a sad reason to want the trade to happen... but i've got Ozy in my hockey pool, and he's doing nothing right now... lol.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Where are all these young defenders? Name one decent defender (besides Komisarek) the Habs have in the organization who is under 29 years old. Look at the guys we put out on the ice last night! Streit and Cote? Get real. Those guys have no business being in the NHL.

As much depth the organization has at the forward position, that is how weak it is on defence. The loss of Hainsey hurts, because he at least had potential and was decent enough to pitch in if the NHL squad needed him. Look at Hamilton. There are no defenders down there who I am confortable with having on an NHL roster.

Fanpuck33, you said losing Hainsey hurts? You were kidding right....

OBryne Korpikari Benoit Markov

Although Markov is the only proven one as of now we all know how long it takes for defenders to adjust and become NHL quality.

And don’t tell me the three I placed in front of markov are brutal because none of them were high draft choices lets just remember markov was not even in the top 150 picks. I believe he was like 165th overall

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz
Originally posted by Leafs Suck

I'd like to know how Ozolinsh is NOT an upgrade over Souray? Ozolinsh has been an all-star and top offensive defenseman his whole career. Souray had ONE good year, and even then he was injuried for 1/4 of it.

As usual Leafs Suck you are right. He is an upgrade offensively. Problem is he is a fourth forward on the ice and Montreal does not have a stud defenceman to back up his rushing the other teams net. Normally I would say do it if Montreal was strong defensively, but right now Souray is average defensively where Ozolinsh is YIKES! With a big Y. (I like Ozolinsh)

[Edited on 2005/11/30 by Howie_Morenz]

I happen to think that a creative, talented offensive dman (a fourth forward even as you say) is just what the doctor ordered for the style of hockey the Habs are built for and should be playing (fast, agile, creative attack). This could really help our forward lines get going and emphasise the team's strenghts. Sure we have responsible dman to pair with an Ozolinsh......I'd put Bouillon with him so that we keep Markov and Rivet together.

take a look at what we have in hamiltonin terms of D-men.

here's a «bold» prediction: habs will draff a defenseman in next entry draft