Rumour: Ozolinsh for Souray - Team 990 MTL

Athlétique.Canadien

Originally posted by marky_and_komi

take a look at what we have in hamiltonin terms of D-men.

here's a «bold» prediction: habs will draff a defenseman in next entry draft

Unless the best available player is a goalie:)

Sorry, I've got to stop with the cheap shots.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Rooster

yeap, I was really shocked at how dman poor our last draft, free agent season and other off season acquisitions was.

Glad to see I was not alone with this. I thought Montreal would have had a little more activity than just Dandenault. Maybe something will be in the works after being shutout. The 4 - 0 loss to Ottawa was bad, but not as bad as it could have been since Ottawa is an Elite team.

I agree.

Habs should have had

Brian Lee

Luke Bourdon

Or Marc Stall instead of Price. But Gainey knows best I am sure.

Next the habs traded up to get Gui good move I don’t believe anyone will argue.

And the habs next pick was not until 121. I am sure Gainey knows how to draft players and will make this team a perennial powerhouse before he leaves office.

And 2 drafts ago habs did take Alexei Yemlin who will hopefully turn out to be a great defender.

Originally posted by option+

Andrei Markov.

My bad, he wasn't on the roster I was looking at, since he's hurt. I only looked over it breifly for ages. Still, he isn't exactly considered young talent. Don't get me wrong, I think he's easily our best D-man and a great player.

My main point is that the Habs are nearly devoid of young talent along the blueline. Nobody in the farm system is very good, and we have only a few long shots in terms of junior age players.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

Fanpuck33, you said losing Hainsey hurts? You were kidding right....

Not at all. Look at the situation the Habs have on D! Wouldn't you rather have Hainsey than Cote? They have 2 more games where they are only going to be able to dress 5 D-men. Hainsey is better than nothing. Without him, he was no D-men in the minors who are good enough to keep this team a contender. There is a reason they called him back up, because he was their best D-man down in Hamilton. Behind him is Cote, who doesn't deserve to be in the NHL.

If Gainey is considering that trade, it could indicate a variety of different things:

1 - Souray asked for a trade. It was said that his wife asked him to move to LA to be more with her and their daughter last August and that is where everything got bad with them.

2 - Gainey is doing this for offensive transition purposes. He looked at Souray as the powerplay quarterback like he was before the lockout, but it hasn't materialized yet.

3 - Gainey is seeing Souray's injury history repeating itself.

4 - Gainey wants to inject new energy into the team without touching much of the regular players of this season.

5 - Burke wants to do this deal and he was the one that approached Gainey, not the other way around.

Regardless, the one thing I would consider in this is, would it be straight up? Secondly, the leadership qualities being exchanged. I look at Souray as a leader on and off the ice. Losing him would mean great deal, at least off the ice.

But, I don't know much about Ozolinsh's leadership capabilities. Even though he's been on Stanley cup winning teams, he has always been personally successful, and he has an elite talent.

I would have never guessed Kovy was as good a leader in the locker room as some stories suggest. Nor would I have suggested Markov would show the kind of initiative he showed Saturday night, so it's hard to tell from our perspectives.

Overall, I'd believe he'd help the team, his PP time will replace Bouillon's, or Dandenault's, or Rivet's, which will fresh them up for other situations. It could have a snowball effect, a positive one!

I'd bet it would be Souray for Ozolinsh (sorry for the spelling) and a border line depth defenseman with a two-way contract.

Souray is younger and more diverse than Ozzy, not to mention cheaper, so Burke may be inclined to throw in a depth d-man.

Originally posted by GoHabs2002

If Gainey is considering that trade, it could indicate a variety of different things:

1 - Souray asked for a trade. It was said that his wife asked him to move to LA to be more with her and their daughter last August and that is where everything got bad with them.

2 - Gainey is doing this for offensive transition purposes. He looked at Souray as the powerplay quarterback like he was before the lockout, but it hasn't materialized yet.

3 - Gainey is seeing Souray's injury history repeating itself.

4 - Gainey wants to inject new energy into the team without touching much of the regular players of this season.

5 - Burke wants to do this deal and he was the one that approached Gainey, not the other way around.

Regardless, the one thing I would consider in this is, would it be straight up? Secondly, the leadership qualities being exchanged. I look at Souray as a leader on and off the ice. Losing him would mean great deal, at least off the ice.

But, I don't know much about Ozolinsh's leadership capabilities. Even though he's been on Stanley cup winning teams, he has always been personally successful, and he has an elite talent.

I would have never guessed Kovy was as good a leader in the locker room as some stories suggest. Nor would I have suggested Markov would show the kind of initiative he showed Saturday night, so it's hard to tell from our perspectives.

Overall, I'd believe he'd help the team, his PP time will replace Bouillon's, or Dandenault's, or Rivet's, which will fresh them up for other situations. It could have a snowball effect, a positive one!

I'd bet it would be Souray for Ozolinsh (sorry for the spelling) and a border line depth defenseman with a two-way contract.

Souray is younger and more diverse than Ozzy, not to mention cheaper, so Burke may be inclined to throw in a depth d-man.

Excellent post GoHabs! Thanks for the thoughtful analysis. :/)

doesnt matter what we do as long as we get at least one more FIRST Dman ( having one more to meet the Markov quality but wiht more offensive prowess) and where at the end of it all our 7th DMan is either Bouillon , Rivet or Komy... Because I doubt any of these three will go anytime soon. this means we have one hell of a set of 6 dmen at all times!

I don't think they want Sourrey, from what I understand Sandis is available because Anahiem is unloading d-men. We can probably get this guy for a draft pick or one of our young talented forwards or goalies.

Originally posted by johnnyhasbeen

I don't think they want Sourrey, from what I understand Sandis is available because Anahiem is unloading d-men. We can probably get this guy for a draft pick or one of our young talented forwards or goalies.

Problem is we would have to unload salary in any trade where we would pick up salary such as Ozolinsh's.

Not necessarily...we currently have about 3.5M, I would even say close to 4M room below the 39M cap.

Assuming Gainey wants to keep 2.5M for post Olympic break moves at the deadline, they'll be about 4 paychecks left at the time of the trade deadline (there are, I think, 12 equal payments on the 1st and 15th of each regular season month), therefore a guy getting paid 7.2M, for example, would get paid $600,000 per paycheck, therefore, for Gainey to pick this hypothetical player at the deadline would be committing 2.4M (600,000 X 4 paychecks) to the team's payroll.

Further assuming Gainey doesn't want to max out, and he doesn't want to go any further than 38M, than we room of 2.5M.

Long story short, Gainey could still add roughly, at least 1m to the cap without hurting the team's options significantly.

That would leave the habs contending for players, at least payroll-wise, in the 4.5M to 7M range. Whether we have the players to make a deal is for another discussion. (of course, consideration for next year's cap will have to be made, as well).

Originally posted by GoHabs2002

Not necessarily...we currently have about 3.5M, I would even say close to 4M room below the 39M cap.

Assuming Gainey wants to keep 2.5M for post Olympic break moves at the deadline, they'll be about 4 paychecks left at the time of the trade deadline (there are, I think, 12 equal payments on the 1st and 15th of each regular season month), therefore a guy getting paid 7.2M, for example, would get paid $600,000 per paycheck, therefore, for Gainey to pick this hypothetical player at the deadline would be committing 2.4M (600,000 X 4 paychecks) to the team's payroll.

Further assuming Gainey doesn't want to max out, and he doesn't want to go any further than 38M, than we room of 2.5M.

Long story short, Gainey could still add roughly, at least 1m to the cap without hurting the team's options significantly.

That would leave the habs contending for players, at least payroll-wise, in the 4.5M to 7M range. Whether we have the players to make a deal is for another discussion. (of course, consideration for next year's cap will have to be made, as well).

Doesn't the 39M cap have to include benefits paid to players -allowing them to go to the dentist and stuff- (making it like a 38M or so cap)?

Originally posted by Fanpuck33
Originally posted by option+

Andrei Markov.

My bad, he wasn't on the roster I was looking at, since he's hurt. I only looked over it breifly for ages. Still, he isn't exactly considered young talent. Don't get me wrong, I think he's easily our best D-man and a great player.

My main point is that the Habs are nearly devoid of young talent along the blueline. Nobody in the farm system is very good, and we have only a few long shots in terms of junior age players.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

Fanpuck33, you said losing Hainsey hurts? You were kidding right....

Not at all. Look at the situation the Habs have on D! Wouldn't you rather have Hainsey than Cote? They have 2 more games where they are only going to be able to dress 5 D-men. Hainsey is better than nothing. Without him, he was no D-men in the minors who are good enough to keep this team a contender. There is a reason they called him back up, because he was their best D-man down in Hamilton. Behind him is Cote, who doesn't deserve to be in the NHL.

OK, I get your point now. You are right that the farm team is not that strong with defensive talent. Hainsey was probably the best at this time but realistically he is not a good hockey player. I watched a few Bulldog games on the Tube (Lucky to live close to Hamilton) and he only seemed interested in spurts. I really wonder if he wants to play hockey? Kind of strange for someone that was drafted so high. HE does have talent as when he tried to play well, he was a different player. But life without Hainsey goes on and Montreal has to deal with the guys they have.

What do you think of Dandenault? When Montreal signed him I asked myself Why? Was Gonchar not available? Must be a money thing.

Not sure who was saying it on the Team 990, but you have to keep this in mind as well! I remember hearing that bum Gabriel Morency speaking with Mcguire when Melnyk was away, and Gab brought up the whole Patrick Roy coming back to Montreal rumour.... He had been speaking about it as though it was gonna happen, then when McGuire came on, and he heard about it he asked "Where the heck did you hear that?" and Morency did a complete 180, and said "yeah, I know, sounds crazy"

Most of these guys spit anything out to grab peoples attention....if it were a real rumour, it would be on their website, which it isn't.....

Please not Ozo... Ok, I don't want to sound like Don Cherry here, but I think we have enough Euro's on the team.

Koivu- Tough

Zednik-Tough

Perezhogin-Not afraid

Bulis-He's fine

Bonk-WIMP

Sundstrom-WIMP

Plekanec-Not afraid

Markov-Tough

Kovalev-Tough enough

Anyways we could use a few more tough Canadian boys... ahh I really do sound like Don.

Anyways, I want Warriors, guys who step up when the going gets tough, guys with some sandpaper... Ozo Isn't one of them.

While Souray has been average at best this season, he's still a monster of a man, and gives our team some respect, because he's pretty feared out there on the ice. If we're going to move him and not replace his size, and toughness.... let alone his indimidation factor... we'll be regressing.

<i>Detroit sure didn't do good with alot of Euros.

Fedorov, Konstantinov, Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Kozlov, Larionov, Fetisov... yep can't have any Euros.</i>

Ok, you can't really compare Bonk, Bulis and Sundstrom with those guys...

Fedorov has throw huge hits in his career, he's also one of the most complete players to ever play.

Konstantivov, Fetisov... You're talking Russian ledgens.

Lidstrom, doesn't need to be tough, he's THAT good.

Holmstrom might be the TOUGHEST euro in the NHL.

Larionov... ledgend.

Kozlov is a wimp, but he's just one.

Simple question, who would you rather have clearing the net when we meet the Leafs in the Playoffs and Antropov or Lindros, or even Allison are standing there?

Ozo or Souray... It's pretty obvious.

I don't think Souray is a Norris winner or anything like that, but we're missing toughness, it's not the time to trade it without replacing it.

I'd be more interested in Salei... There a tough Euro.

Originally posted by Habby1197

Simple question, who would you rather have clearing the net when we meet the Leafs in the Playoffs and Antropov or Lindros, or even Allison are standing there?

Ozo or Souray... It's pretty obvious.

I don't think Souray is a Norris winner or anything like that, but we're missing toughness, it's not the time to trade it without replacing it.

I'd be more interested in Salei... There a tough Euro.

I agree, i would try to get Ruslan Salei, that guy is really tough and is a good defenseman overall

So what's the deal with not wanting Euros? What you're saying is you want guys who play physical and with emotion. Fair enough. You seem to have mentionned quite a few "Euros" that fit that description.

Btw, a lot of these Russian guys come from places east of the Ural mountains. They are Asians:)

[Edited on 2005/11/30 by Rooster]