Game 74 Florida at Montreal 7pm April 2

When you look at that stat sheet, the dismal production from our FWs (apart from the top line) is absolutely glaring. And even the top line...20 goals, 55 points for Caufield is really second-line totals. Slaf is impressive in context - 41 points at age 20, and much of that in the second half. 

Bottom line, our FW corps needs major work.

And even on D - subtract Mattheson, and the offence is also pretty bad.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

When you look at that stat sheet, the dismal production from our FWs (apart from the top line) is absolutely glaring. And even the top line...20 goals, 55 points for Caufield is really second-line totals. Slaf is impressive in context - 41 points at age 20, and much of that in the second half. 

Bottom line, our FW corps needs major work.

And even on D - subtract Mattheson, and the offence is also pretty bad.

The good news about the defence is that there are better players coming soon. 

The offence is as you say. I do like the fact that Hughes said in a presser that he knows Montreal is in need. I would be shocked if a player isn’t added this offseason to help address this. 

Hopefully we get to see if Dach can play an entire season as well. 

His team-mates did nothing for him on either goal ... but Montembeault also badly beaten (I-M-O) on both.

Nice, interesting call.  I was sure it went in but I wasn't sure if they would over rule the call on the ice because on the top angle you don't see the typical white ice they usually look for to tell it went in.  However, the 1 angle from the front you can tell it went in.  

What the hell - they reversed the reversed call before I was able to hit submit reply.   No goal.   

Just watching this replay Florida Panthers at Montreal Canadiens (sportsnet.ca)

1. Amusing to hear the colour guy basically disagreeing with the play-by-play man and saying Monty sucks

2. The first four goals were all on spectacular moves and/or spectacular defensive breakdowns! Amazing to watch but not really what you expect to see from a Cup finalist.

3. Habs scored two goals of the backbreaker variety: the softie Caufield put in with three seconds left in the second, and Evans' scoring the 5th goal shorthanded.

Based purely on the replays, it looks like a game where Florida was not playing down to the level of the opponent.

In the 10 Thoughts (which I always love) on tonight's game, Brian expresses some displeasure that the Habs put out our top PP unit during the power plays late in the 3rd.  Normally I agree that teams should not do this when the outcome of the game is already determined. 

But tonight I was in favour of it.  If the Panthers are going to goon things up and take cheap shots we shouldn't pull our punches.  

56 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Stop winning you bastards 🤡

Proof that players don’t tank I guess. Still super happy for Suzuki 

I wasn't overly hoping for a win either but I'm happy for Suzuki too.  

As long as the Sens are above the Habs I think it could be possible for the Habs to draft 5th.  If the season ended right now the Habs would be 6th with the Yotes at 5th.  There is probably a decent chance the Yotes will take a dmen so I'm thinking Hughes might try to do what NJ was attempting when the Habs drafted Slaf.  i.e. NJ didn't need another C (Wright) so they were trying to pay the Habs to swap picks and/or to get Hughes to pick Wright so they would get Slaf.  If the Habs want Lindstrum and he is still available at 5th and the Yotes want a dman they might be into taking a payment to swap places 1 spot.  

10 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Proof that players don’t tank I guess. Still super happy for Suzuki 

Anyone who has EVER thought that players "tank" was an idiot ... players can lose hope/spirit and play a stinker, but that is not the same thing.

• Upvote 1