Moore Family Lawsuit Against Bertuzzi And Knucks

CoRvInA

A change of venue to an old lawsuit. I've seen before where a plaintiff will first file a lawsuit where he expects the rewards will be largest - in the U.S. in this case. It didn't work, so he's back to get what he can in B.C. This story will linger on for a long time yet.

Wow, I feel for the guy (Moore) and hope he wins, but I really think this was a bad time to do this. I think theres going to be a lot of backlash against him, doing it while the Olympics are on. I know hes trying to get some high profile attention, but with all the other problems, this was just a bad time. What a piece of shit.

See what lawyers make you do!!!!

But having said that I hope he wins, he deserves it after what Bertuzzi did, the NHL and NHLPA have done (turned their backs on him).

No jurisdiction in Ontario.

Moore gets NHLPA injured players comp until I believe he is 75 and I don’t believe it is a small amount. This is ridiculous the court has no place in Hockey IMO. What Bertuzzi did was wrong for sure. But worse things have happened on the ice especially back in the day with stick swinging incidents. Moore and his family I believe are seeking almost 20 million dollars in damages. What was this guy making in the NHL $500,000 does he honestly believe he would have played 40 years in the NHL or that he would have become a superstar. That number is outlandish.

I frankly dont see how they could have had the case in colorado... there were personal jurisdiction issues.

Moore's argument was that the Canucks players, coaches and management conspired to retaliate against Moore for his hit on Markus Naslund, which occured in Denver. Since the conspiracy began there, Colorado had jurisdiction over the case. The judge didn't even take into account whether or not there was a conspiracy, just ruled that since the incident didn't happen in Colorado, then it was out of their jurisdiction.

Moore's argument was that the Canucks players, coaches and management conspired to retaliate against Moore for his hit on Markus Naslund, which occured in Denver. Since the conspiracy began there, Colorado had jurisdiction over the case. The judge didn't even take into account whether or not there was a conspiracy, just ruled that since the incident didn't happen in Colorado, then it was out of their jurisdiction.

If there was a conspiracy, I doubt the Canucks would have planned to send Bertuzzi - probably the league's top powerforward at the time - to make Moore pay. That's a sad story and we'd all wish this stuff never happened. There's a life lesson to take from this. Not try to do our own justice. The result is most of the time desastrous (like here) and it creates more evil. Let the law do its job. Ultimately, God will do justice, as he said "I'm in charge of vengeance and payback".

Give it a rest, Moore is a cry baby. End of story. Fact he threw a dirty hit to start this. Fact he turtled from a fight. Fact he was at best a career 2nd liner. Also how the heck can they say his neck was broken before he hit the ice? Pile of BS. Give him the price of a coffe and send him on his way.

Give it a rest, Moore is a cry baby. End of story. Fact he threw a dirty hit to start this. Fact he turtled from a fight. Fact he was at best a career 2nd liner. Also how the heck can they say his neck was broken before he hit the ice? Pile of BS. Give him the price of a coffe and send him on his way.

Wow, I have to intervene here.

1) It wasn't a dirty hit. If you watch it in slow-mo, you'll see it wasn't a dirty hit. Naslund himself said it wasn't a dirty hit.

2) He didn't "turtle". He didn't want to get in another fight in that game. He had already fought with Matt Cooke, Bertuzzi had no business stalking him around the ice.

3) He never said it was broken BEFORE he hit the ice. Grabbing the back of someones neck and slamming it into a hard surface can do that to someone.

BUT...what Moore is asking for is ridiculous. The HIGHEST his salary ever would've reached is about 1...1.5 per season. And to time it with the Canada's first game was stupid too.

What I don't get is his progress has been getting better. He's skated a few practices with the Avs and the Avs doctors have said it's very likely he could play hockey again. Lacroix also said if he is ever cleared to play again (which it looks like he will) he has a guaranteed contract with the Avs. So I don't understand why he's still pursuing this. While I'm one of the number one Bertuzzi haters....leave the guy alone. He doesn't need court stuff following him around anymore.

Maybe he should sue all his team mates who piled on him while he is at it.I personnally hope he never returns to the NHL because if he does someone might hurt him again and then he will cry some moore.

I didn't even consider that you may have strong fealings about this Sniper!

I'll give you this, you are showing more composure about it than the other Avs fans I know.

Seems to me Moore is looking for the big score. Whatever happens I just hope Bert and Moore can move on and get over this.

It is becoming neccesary for Bert or Moore to switch sides. One of them (most likely Bert) needs to come to the East.

I think the Habs may have a spot available. :D

Johnnyhasbeen: Are you a relic fan of the past when guys were supposed to be smart for jumping people from behind? Oh wait, never in the history of the NHL have players ever been respected for cheapshotting a guy in the back of the head and jumping on him.

You may like Bertuzzi all you want, but what he did was stupid. And tell you what, why don't you go ask a 215lb guy to punch you in the head and break your neck..I'm sure you'd actually shed a hell of a lot more tears than Moore did. Not to mention that Bertuzzi cried too, at his apologetic press conference.

Edited by smon

I didn't even consider that you may have strong fealings about this Sniper!

I'll give you this, you are showing more composure about it than the other Avs fans I know.

Seems to me Moore is looking for the big score. Whatever happens I just hope Bert and Moore can move on and get over this.

It is becoming neccesary for Bert or Moore to switch sides. One of them (most likely Bert) needs to come to the East.

I think the Habs may have a spot available. :D

Haha, thanks. If you'd talked to me a little bit after it happened though, you'd probably read something entirely different. :unsure:

It happened two years ago though. No matter what people think about it. whats done is done and everyone just needs to move on. Moore obviously thinks he has business he still needs to take care of (although I can't help but think there is some lawyer influence happening. The guy looks like a slimeball).

Although the Bertuzzi boos at the Pepsi Center are ever so sweet. ;)

of course you sue for as much as possible. It's like contract negotiations - you throw out the biggest number you can possibly try to justify and then work your way down to reality. It helps set the parameters of the settlement negotiations and remember that the jury is in no way constrained by the requested damages.

I actually dont know exactly how damages are awarded in canada, I know there is less jury involvement under canadian system then US, but I guarantee that canadian judges are far more conservative in damage awards than their US counterparts. Wait for the settlement or judgment before forming an opinion on the merit of the damages.

Johnnyhasbeen: Are you a relic fan of the past when guys were supposed to be smart for jumping people from behind? Oh wait, never in the history of the NHL have players ever been respected for cheapshotting a guy in the back of the head and jumping on him.

You may like Bertuzzi all you want, but what he did was stupid. And tell you what, why don't you go ask a 215lb guy to punch you in the head and break your neck..I'm sure you'd actually shed a hell of a lot more tears than Moore did. Not to mention that Bertuzzi cried too, at his apologetic press conference.

Okay, let's go.

start with the knee that took out Neeley, a real star not a guy that may or may not have made his team the next year. carrer ending, Lawsuit?

Hell no. this is and was hockey, next meeting when he tried a comeback he tried to settle the score like a hockey player, not a ballerina.

If you pansies want a watered down game that is because either

a: you are pacifists that should stick to watching figure skating and curling

b: you are women

c: you never played the game because you were picked on by bullies growing up

How about the shot that took out the guy from detroit, can't think of his name, by I believe Lemieux from Colorado. Terrible cheap shot. Lawsuit. Hell no. But war was declared.

Screw any of you that think this is justified. You don't know anything.

Get your fat asses off the coach.

The rocket broke a stick over a guys head. Lawsuit. No suspension, and we rioted over that!!!

As for the 215 guy hitting me, I have been suckered in a bar by a large guy before, hazard of working clubs, and no I didn't cry, I turned and hit him back. So what is your point there buddy? Maybe you would cry but I am a man. Oh, I didn't sue him.

What are they supposed to do? Let Bertuzzi whail on the back of his head? Obviously it didn't help matters but most of the damage had already been done by Bertuzzi.

Seriously man, use your common sense.

He wasn't hitting him. He hit him once, no whailing. That is your imagination. Watch the highlight again. One punch. Who is that on Betuzzi's back in the Avs jersey? Sue him.

Yeah ok there buddy. Watch who you call what, that's all I'm gonna say about that. I'm an ex-rugby player myself, which isn't exactly the most peaceful sport out there. But if you really believe that suckerpunches are a great thing, then go on believing that. I hated seeing that shit happen to people and see em lose their careers.

The last time we saw a comparable thing was when Ace Bailey nearly paralyzed a guy. And unlike Bertuzzi, Bailey didnt cry like a baby. He actually organized a benefit game for the guy's family..didn't see Big Bert do that now did we?

Oh and one more thing -- I've never seen Moore crying on TV -- but I sure as hell did see Bertuzzi.

p.s. it's couch.

For the record, at no time did I justify the hit, I just can't relate to Moore,s feminate reply to it. I am not condoning sucker punches. Just saying lawsuits of this nature have no place in sport. Settle it like a man. Get healthy and drop the gloves with him. Seems to me Lemieux fought the whole Detroit team. He didn't say "they are all out to get me, I will cower from them. He stood up to them one by one until it was over. moore should have done the same.

I've had it on my computer since it happened, 3 times atleast. I'm watching it right now.

You're blind if you say otherwise.

Was your life's dream ripped out of your hands when you got sucker punched in some bar? Nope. Did your neck break when he smashed it into the ground? No. That point is mind-numbingly stupid. Thinking at the most here, he had a 8-10 year career going at 1-15 mil a year. While his current 22 mil lawsuit is completely stupid, he is entitled somewhere in the range of 10 mil.

And Moore. Is Not. A Fighter. The fact he fought Cooke amazes me. I'll repeat that.

Moore. Is Not. A Fighter

The Detroit/Colorado incident is completely different, it's pointless to bring that up.