Which Dman Gets Replaced?

Prime Minister Koivu

We need a #1 Dman.

To do that we need to move someone.

By trade

By not resigning

By waiving someone

I did not include Streit because he has already sat a number of games and he does not fit into this poll.

One of the six mentioned is either gone or dropped to #7 with little to no ice time.

Who is it?

I tried to make it a poll but obviously screwed it up!

Edited by Prime Minister Koivu

Dandy. IMO he makes the most costly mistakes but has looked good with Bouillon.

That said Frankie is great at #5 or #6

Markov and KREX seem to be a great pair.

Rivet has played fairly well this year.

Souray could also be the one who gets replaced unless be starts attacking at the blue line rather than backing in on the goalie and getting turned inside out on a regular basis.

Souray is definetly the odd man out.

Markov and Komi are young, cheap and becoming a great pair.

Bouillon and Dandy are a nice 3rd pair that will do even better once their ice time is reduced to a regular standard 3rd pair.

Rivet is a good leader, as been playing great.

Souray is our most expensive D and our least reliable..that says it all. Is 2.5M would be used to attrack a #1 D.

Markov - Komi (22-23 minutes/game)

? - Rivet (22-23 minutes/game)

Bouillon - Dandy (14-16 minutes/game)

That would be the ideal scenario. Also, Souray as some trade value so he is the most likely to go...in fact I can't imagine anyone else...

I wouldn't want to see Souray leave. I have faith that he'll improve steadily, which we've already seen. He can be a good, tough defenceman when he's on his game. Between personal issues and changes with the "new NHL" (God I hate typing that phrase), he hasn't realized his potential this year. Markov had a similarly lacklustre year in the last season played (with personal issues as well), we stuck with him and we're not regretting it. Souray could be the same.

Now, if Dandenault had to leave to make room for a #1, I wouldn't be disappointed.

I agree that Dandenault is probably the odd-man out, but not because he's not playing to expectations. He can play forward, so he'd get put on the third or fourth line, depending on what forward was moved.

This really is a very tough question.

I think everyone agrees that Markov and Komi are safe.

That is where things get interesting.

Rivet - He is a leader and while not a superstar, he brings it every game. He is reliable and steady.

Bouillon - How could we let him go? He is a perfect guy to play third pair.

Dandenault - If you can forget about his contract, he is a good third pair Dman. I also think he would be tough to move even if BG wanted to replace him.

Souray - I don't want this guy to go. I believe the expectations on him are to be a #2 Dman, but can he be?

Is it possible that BG does not move for a Dman at all? Instead picking up a # 1 or 2 Center?

?

Is it possible that BG does not move for a Dman at all? Instead picking up a # 1 or 2 Center?

I think its highly likely that BG does nothing...unless the Habs tank and he sells off some parts at the deadline. I think the Habs stand pat...unfortunatley. But maybe they'll get involved in the Free Agent market in the offseason...they should have $8 Million or so to spend.

Having said that, I would suspect that Dandenault would be a very good candidate for a Stanley Cup bound team. He brings that experience that is so hard to find, and a team may be willing to overlook his shaky season in hopes that he'll rebound for them. If the Habs can find a decent return, and dump is $1.75 Million a year salary, I think that would be a good thing. Gives you that much more to spend this offseason. Unfortunatley with the likes of Salei, Witt, Cullimore, McAmmond, Weinrich, Kuba, Zyzuin and Willie Mitchell all available the chances of getting something decent for Dandenault seems remote.

Edited by kaos

We need a #1 Dman.

To do that we need to move someone.

By trade

By not resigning

By waiving someone

I did not include Streit because he has already sat a number of games and he does not fit into this poll.

One of the six mentioned is either gone or dropped to #7 with little to no ice time.

Who is it?

I tried to make it a poll but obviously screwed it up!

Streit had a huge goal yesterday. Maybe the Olympics will do him well and he'll come back full of confidence.

Why does everyone want to move dandenault? For one thing he is a good #5 or 6 Dman who can also play forward. He is also the only D who can skate. Markov a bit above average skater the rest are slow. Souray and Rivet are the logical choices to move, they may have a little trade value. Which ever one the habs move they need to replace him with someone who can skate. I know everyone on here hates Mcguire but i think he said it best, when Rivet and Souray are on the ice they get tap danced on all night by any forward with speed.

dandenault has value to us and his contract is too big/long to move.

Souray has question mark upside and might intrigue another team.

Rivet has a far too large contract and I really dont see him being very moveable.

There has not been a D-man move to now because we dont have any D man that I view as tradeable/moveable.

Oh please, Dandy screws up less then Souray and Rivet. What do they do? Let's see:

Souray: can't skate, doesn't play tough, getting in a fight every now and again isn't tough. Misses the net 8 out 10 shots. Can't pass. Is very soft in front of the net.

He does from time to time play well.

Rivet: Slow skater, soft, loses alot of 1 on 1 battles down low.

Does look better in the offensive zone lately.

I'm not what everyone is talking about by his leadership abilities. What has he ever done to be a great leader?

Why does everyone want to move dandenault?

we have lots of fowards and dandy's playing has been ok to the best.

now, if we move him, it will be in order to get better, not worse. I wouldn't move him just for the sake of getting rid of but to make my team a better one.

Souray dazzles with flashes of brilliance. Rivet is a guy who makes plenty of mistakes but can be solid on occasion. I'd have to say that Dandenault right now makes the most sense to be cut.

Sure, he's got speed. But for years he's been nothing more than a utility player, and it hasnt changed here in Montreal. He's not strong defensively or offensively or physically. Is versatility important? Sure.. in some instances. But if he can play both positions, but not very well, then what's the point?

Eventually Streit will be cut, and Bouillon will become a 7th dman, depending on whether Komisarek gets his act together. I can't stomach having Streit in a Habs uniform, but really I hope he can do something in the NHL -- at least we can say Hainsey was passed over for a guy who did something.

Eventually Streit will be cut, and Bouillon will become a 7th dman, depending on whether Komisarek gets his act together. I can't stomach having Streit in a Habs uniform, but really I hope he can do something in the NHL -- at least we can say Hainsey was passed over for a guy who did something.

We lost Hainsey to a stupid rule, not because of Streit...

With that said, streit might be the best swiss player in the world, then again, who cares about swiss hockey players? hes a goner thats a fact... The guy is no better than Dandy (this year) on both sides of the ice, but Dandy has more "Potential" (not in the sense he'll get any better, but in the sense that hes been having an "OFF YEAR" and that he can always bounce back) so I wouldn't get rid of Dandy too fast, the guy played for the Wings all his career, and the Habs have a different style of play...

As for Bouillon, are you seeing the same player I am? I mean 7th D-man? hes been playing like he is our 2nd D-man all year (second only to Markov) and Defensively, hes our #1... they dont call him the Bulldog for nothing... one on one hes basically unbeatable (only few players have faked him out of 1 on 1 battles along the boards) Souray will probably either become 7th D, or due to his injury prone few last years, might think about retirement...

we need toughness with guys like rivet n souray... can u imagine the playoff grit game without these guys??? Dandenault, even as a so called "utility" player, i dont see any positives him playing defense let alone forward!! Streit n dandy are on their way out hopefully.. i cant imagine trading anybody else on D.. but souray WOULD like to be dealt somewhere to da west coast so he can be closer to his kid.

Yeah completely agreed on this one. Dandenault just isn't progressing he would make a good trade opportunity for the Canadiens right now. I wonder where he should be traded to though...

You know looking at our D its not that bad. We got Markov and look at what Streit is doing at the Olympics. We got Rivet who sometimes is very good but he's inconsistent. Souray is getting his game going. Komi was coming around under Gainey. Dandenault and Bouillon I think are 5th and 6th defenceman capables. What we lack is a real rugged hitting Dman since Komi is just getting his feet wet and Souray doesnt do it often enuff and Rivet isnt big enuff.

You know I wouldn't mind seeing somebody like Willie Mitchell from Minnesota coming over to solidify our defence. HE would be an excellent addition to the club, decent size, good mobility, decent offence, excellent defence, and he's trained by the best...Jaques Lemaire.

Dandenault not progressing? What does that mean? he has been the same kind of player for years. He is a good 5 or 6 Dman. How about not progressing, Souray and Rivet. The pair of Markov and Komisarek have been playing very well lately. Possibly even the top pair. Dandy and Bouillon have been playing better since there minutes have gone down some. Yes i agree with the earlier poster who said Bouillon is a #7 Dman. Other then playing tough on the boards what does he do that is above average. I would say nothing. I would like to see Cote and Bouillon split that spot the rest of the year. Then the habs will know if Cote is a keeper.

Dandenault not progressing? What does that mean? he has been the same kind of player for years. He is a good 5 or 6 Dman. How about not progressing, Souray and Rivet. The pair of Markov and Komisarek have been playing very well lately. Possibly even the top pair. Dandy and Bouillon have been playing better since there minutes have gone down some. Yes i agree with the earlier poster who said Bouillon is a #7 Dman. Other then playing tough on the boards what does he do that is above average. I would say nothing. I would like to see Cote and Bouillon split that spot the rest of the year. Then the habs will know if Cote is a keeper.

Rivet has been the best Dman all season for the Habs. I've even seen Markov go through spats of screwing up this year but Rivet has shown his game face even in the worst of the slump. If the guy had a little more talent I'd put the C on him tomorrow. Every year this guy improves. His skating this year has seen a vast improvement. His passes are better and smarter. He takes the occasional stupid penalty but so has every player on the team this year. This guy should be a franchise player, not because he's great or because we plan on giving him a huge stupid contract, but because he bleeds for the team and that inspires all that see it. In our worst games he is usually the only redeemable thing.

Dandenault is a versatile player. His versatility is seen in his ability to be useless up front and on D. He has looked better over the last 10 games, but before that putting him on was like playing a man short, almost as bad as Zednik. It seems Gainey is commited to his decisions even when they aren't looking good at the time so we'll see what Dandy can do. The only D I'd easily part with are Dandy and then after Souray. Souray we'd have to get something in return.