Gainey's Potential Targets

gohabsgo252006

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont want to make a topic out of this but did anyone listen to that Jerk from Sportsnet ( I guess I should have said "Dude" ( he pisses me off ANYWAYS) he said Souray is rumored to be headed out to Vancouver?

any news on that?

I think that guy might be getting is info from Habchris

Edited by CoRvInA

Dont want to make a topic out of this but did anyone listen to that Jerk from Sportsnet ( I guess I should have said "Dude" ( he pisses me off ANYWAYS) he said Souray is rumored to be headed out to Vancouver?

any news on that?

I think that guy might be getting is info from Habchris

There have been rublings that Vancouver wants Sourray, also, and someone can correct me if i misinterpreted, but Pierre Macguire today implied that there is some talk to bertuzzi coming the other way for a package of sourray plus.

Too bad the Habs missed out on Spacek, he's very underrated and would have been a nice addition to our blueline.

Mara is very underrated as well. I'd take him or Morris on my team any day.

The Souray-Bertuzzi bit dont really makes sense to me. Too easy to match for any other team. You think someone like Bobby Clarke wouldnt try everything he could to get his favorite type of player, especially with Primeau out? Or that Ottawa wouldnt be able to give a package of good young players?

I dont know, but Souray looks pale in comparison to what other teams could offer.

I highly doubt the Habs make any moves, but if they do, I'd like to see them take a run at Paul Mara and/or Derek Morris in Phoenix, which I think could be done with the likes of Souray, Ribeiro, Zednik, a prospect and maybe some draft picks. These are top 4 defenceman and Montreal would have to pay for them.

And if Gainey is going to be that aggressive, then he might as well shoot for Jokenin as well. Trade a 1st Round Pick next year and maybe one of the young prospects like Perezhogin. Probably have to give up something more as well, but it would be worth it.

These three players are young, under 28 years old and would be witht he Habs a long time so it would be worth giving up a few draft picks and one or two of our young prospects.

But like i said, I don't think the Habs will be players in the trade market.

never heard of it but He did play with kovalev and he's right handed if i'm not mistaking

Lang is another "code" rumour.

I've always like him and he can put points up. but at 35 and at 3.8 Million, i would hope we're not giving up much to get him. As far as i could find out he still has 1 year left on his deal as well.

Don't get me wrong if it's lang or Ribeiro, no question i'd take lang.

Lang is another "code" rumour.

I've always like him and he can put points up. but at 35 and at 3.8 Million, i would hope we're not giving up much to get him. As far as i could find out he still has 1 year left on his deal as well.

Don't get me wrong if it's lang or Ribeiro, no question i'd take lang.

Why Lang?

what would having him for 1 more year do for the team at 3.8 mill?

doesnt make any sense.

Code is infinately better than Eklund. Code is the only one that reported the Kovalev to Montreal deal before it happened.

habs rumours I can find there:

Teams are calling about Kovalev

Gainey is really trying to move Ribs and the Islanders are interested

Vancouver wants Souray bad but Gainey wants nothing they have, including Bert

Teams keep calling Gainey about Higgins and Komisarek, Gainey won't budge

Detroit wants to dump Lang and his contract, maybe Dandenault going the other way

Gainey is waiting for the big summer move, Brad Richards at almost any cost

A deal may have been struck between Florida and Montreal, to be announced after the game.

Info out of Montreal is immpossible to get, all info/rumours are coming from the teams Montreral is talking to. Gainey is a vault.

Just rumours but it sure is interesting.

Edited by Prime Minister Koivu

There have been rublings that Vancouver wants Sourray, also, and someone can correct me if i misinterpreted, but Pierre Macguire today implied that there is some talk to bertuzzi coming the other way for a package of sourray plus.

I have heard this rumour now on the radio. I dont like it. What did Bertuzzi do for Canada, and what has he done all year? The message we got from the Olympics is stop living in the past. Bertuzzi may not be the player he was. Big defencemen with good shots are at a premium in the NHL. Souray has had a bad year and is not as physical as he can be, but we don't need more scoring punch as much as we need defensive help. And Bertuzzi is no guarantee he will be a star without Markus Naslund

Edited by Strummerman

Hey habitforming, i'll respectfully disagree with with you, for one sundstrom has NO trade value but Vancouver would need someone to replace Ruuto. If you think Souray has alot of trade value your dreaming. Vancouver is interested because they are desperate. Chicago would never make that trade only if you threw in zednick and ribiero. Ruuto does take the occaisional stupid penalty but he does bring is toughness, grit, size and will stick up for his players. Which no other Canadiens really do. I would rather have his aggressive penalties than the ones this current team takes, hooking and holding all night. It's getting pretty bad. Thank Huet for the win Tuesday.

Hey habitforming, i'll respectfully disagree with with you, for one sundstrom has NO trade value but Vancouver would need someone to replace Ruuto. If you think Souray has alot of trade value your dreaming. Vancouver is interested because they are desperate. Chicago would never make that trade only if you threw in zednick and ribiero. Ruuto does take the occaisional stupid penalty but he does bring is toughness, grit, size and will stick up for his players. Which no other Canadiens really do. I would rather have his aggressive penalties than the ones this current team takes, hooking and holding all night. It's getting pretty bad. Thank Huet for the win Tuesday.

I wasn't suggesting that Chi would make that deal at all. Tallon would have to be on quite the binge to accept a deal like that. I was more or less making fun of offering a marginal top 4 D-man for a borderline 3rd line checker/agitator. It makes no sense, let alone throw in a versatile player like Sunny.

I can accept that you don't think Sunny has any trade value, but the GM's of the NHL would disagree. He is not a star in any sense but he is far more useful the Jarkko Ruutu.

I would highly doubt the Canadiens would acquire Souray because if they did it would force their hand to move Theo in the off season if they wanted to make a move in the ufa market. Bert is a great player but his risk vs. reward level rest currently too high on the risk side for any team. From Vancouver’s standpoint it is not that terrible of a move the Sedin's line has effectively become the scoring threat for the Canucks over the past 2 months. A change to the Naslund line may be just what the doctor ordered but I don't think this move will be made as the Canucks were without Bertuzzi last playoffs and I believe would like to have him this time around. IMO I believe Gainey would rather spend the money on a centre man or defenseman than another winger but only time will tell.

Like I've said before....leave Souray alone!!.....he brings a physical presence which allows our munchkins to skate without fear ........ if you followed this team the few years before we got him, you know exactly what I'm talking about....DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS INTANGIBLE ASSET!!!

I like Sundstrom but he has no value, he can't even make the top 12 forwards in Montreal. If he does get moved your right any coach would like to have them but nothing will come back for him. He needs to be added to another trade to sweeten the deal.

Trade Sundstrom to Phoenix for a defenceman or make a package deal.

Gretzky says he's a great player and would love to have him on his team.

Doesn't mean he wants him and he's UFA at the end of the year anyways so he can just sign him then.

If any deal is made Sunny is at best a throw in

Like I've said before....leave Souray alone!!.....he brings a physical presence which allows our munchkins to skate without fear ........ if you followed this team the few years before we got him, you know exactly what I'm talking about....DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS INTANGIBLE ASSET!!!

Well, if for Souray we get Bertuzzi, the munchkins will be just fine. If there's one guy in the league who has proven in the recent past that he does protect his teammates, it's Bertuzzi; I think players will think twice about hitting Koivu if Bertuzzi is behind them :P

More seriously, I would normally have no problem with trading Souray. I think he's a good player to have, but he's was overrated and overpaid right now. However, Montreal's defense needs him; we already have Bouillon and Dandeneault who should not be top 6 regulars, and none of Streit, Côté, or even Archer are suitable replacements. If anything, we could use another reliable guy like Keith Carney so that Dandeneault gets bumped off to the bench. With that said, I am kind of hoping that we don't get another defenseman because then Gainey would be stupid enough to bench Komisarek, who has really progressed over the last 2 months, and who I still believe has the potential to be a top 2 guy (but at some point we'll have to give him a chance on the powerplay).

Edited by CerebusClone

I agree K Rex and Markov will be the Canadiens top two defenseman for years to come.

On your other point I would love to see K Rex on the PP in one of two spots on the point with Markov or right in front of the net who would be able to move Mike he is a monster of a man and a goal would just increase his confidence even more.

I'm not sure the value in getting players like Carney, Gelinas etc. Very true they are good players but this team will not win the cup by additions like that. This team should be getiing younger. The future is in a couple of years. They should be focusing on players 24-28 who can replace the vets. Players like Mara, Guathier, Sopel, etc. Beruzzi would be a great addition for what the other poster said before, size and toughness. On a line with Ryder and Koivu.

I think I may prefer to get JOkinen for character issues, I was just listening to the radio and everyone with "inside" info keeps saying that Bert is a cancer in the locker room.

But Sourray and Zednik for Bertuzzi, i think i would do that deal.

Or a package to get Jokinen. I trust Bob and i hope to see a major deal like one of these.

If he does deal Sourray for Bert, I'm sure BG has a plan to get another Dman from somewhere...I don't think he would look to replace Sourray with either Streit or Cote.

I love this time of year because it is interesting and fun to speculate on potential trades and the ramifications each trade has, but reading some of the rumored deals out there some people go too far.

Example:

To Van: Zednik, Ribeiro, Perezoghan, 1st rounder.

To Mtl: Bertuzzi, Allen

Can anyone justify something like this from a either standpoint, let alone Montreal's?

Edited by Habitforming

On your other point I would love to see K Rex on the PP in one of two spots on the point with Markov or right in front of the net who would be able to move Mike he is a monster of a man and a goal would just increase his confidence even more.

Despite what many believe and his career stats so far, I believe that Komisarek could be useful on the powerplay. He did the job in college, he did the job in Hamilton, and I think he can do the job in the NHL. He's not the most talented guy, unlike a guy like Gonchar, but he's a smart player with a good shot from the point who keeps his game simple. If Souray could do what he did last season (actually more one month during the season), I don't see why Komi couldn't do it either. Also, Gainey has nothing to lose; he can't do any worse than Bouillon and Dandeneault on the power play because they generated zero offense.

I thik he's a simple question of confidence. He reached a very low point this season, and has lost every once of self-confidence in his body; Julien also showed zero confidence in him, which didn't help. Just a little bit of time on the powerplay could do wonders for him, which would boost his ego, and improve his defensive game as well. If Komisarek gains confidence at both sides of the ice, Montreal is a much better team.

That's my opinion...

Edited by CerebusClone

Unless Gainey is willing to part with a good prospect (which I wouldn't), I doubt he will acquire anyone that will have much of an impact on this team.

Yeah, if anything I would say 2nd rounder in this years draft and maybe the 3rd or the 2nd in '07 plus dead weight to address some sort of need. Personally, I hate trading picks but whadda ya gonna do?

On another note (not you CerebusClone, but rather others) , please stop with the Kostitsyn trading reccomendations. With Sergei putting in a major case for CHL player of the year runner up, I wouldn't screw around with our potential "Sedin" situation yet. The Kostitsyn's (especially Andrei) talent and potential has not been tapped yet. Why screw with that?

If Bob does Move A.Kosty, I will be VERY surprised and quite :angry: .

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN