Game Thread | Canadiens @ Penguins | 03/26/06

bombTHEice

Did anybody hear on CJAD about Huet going out on the ice after the game to get the puck to give to Aebi for his first win as a habs (a classy thing to do) and then friggin Crosby comes by, takes it and tell Huet he cant have it. Im really starting to hate Sid the Crybaby....

:hlogo:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea how good or bad Aebi really is. All I know is that whenever the puck is in the montreal zone I get nervous. I haven't felt that way since Huet took over. I'd forgotten how stressful it is to watch games when you are always worried.

In another thread someone mention that in their fans eyes the leafs can do no wrong, and for us the habs can do nothing right.

I think people are starting to feel the same way about Huet and Aebi.

-toque

Wow....big win......

Abby? Shaky and soft...........but cheaper then the shaky and soft we used to have.......

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Brilliant.

Lucky win tonight, no thanks to Aebischer. I know not every goal was his fault, but he looked pathetic at times tonight. I'm not sure this team has alot of confidence in him. In 3 games with the Habs he has a 5.00 GAA. This is not good.

You can say all you want that its the sloppy defense infront of him, but thats the exact same defense that plays in front of Huet and he's sporting a 2.21 GAA and 0.928 Save %

I just hope Aebischer has some trade value left in the offseason. Other than saving $3.9 Million this trade isn't looking very good.

I was watching the Pens broadcast, and they were showing the Pens and Leafs from a few nights ago, Crosby was miked on the bench, telling guys what to do and where they should have been on the last play. If I saw it correctly, they were annoyed and skating away from him. He ######ing really bugs me. LOSER!!!!!!

Yeah I'm thinking more and more, people are really getting turned off by this kid

Lucky win tonight, no thanks to Aebischer. I know not every goal was his fault, but he looked pathetic at times tonight. I'm not sure this team has alot of confidence in him. In 3 games with the Habs he has a 5.00 GAA. This is not good.

You can say all you want that its the sloppy defense infront of him, but thats the exact same defense that plays in front of Huet and he's sporting a 2.21 GAA and 0.928 Save %

I just hope Aebischer has some trade value left in the offseason. Other than saving $3.9 Million this trade isn't looking very good.

I agree completely...I'm still glad we ditched Theo though. I doubt Gainey would have made the trade if he thought we could have gotten a better return. The only taker was obviously ...The Avs....

Saving the 3.9 mil this year is going to make the off-season a lot easier. If Gainey couldn't get rid of Theo in the summer we would have been screwed trying to pick up a good free agent. Now we can breathe. Thank god for Huet. I think Abby is UFA next year.....I'm almost certain the habs will go with Huet and Danis. Which means we get nothing for Theo.......hmmmm .......awell. We're winning and I'm glad he's gone.

Crucial week ahead.....We play teams we know we can beat, while Tampa plays Carolina, Atlanta and Jersey plays Ottawa and Buffalo......

Stay focused boys ..........!!!!!!!!!

Geeze who to root for? Atlanta or Tampa, that'll be a great game. Do you cheer for Atlanta as they're 3 points behind and we need catch Tampa? Or do you go for Tampa and take the safe route into the playoffs, as Atlanta doesn't gain two points.

I think it's a game time decision. Like tonight.....as much as I hate the leafs I was cheering for them, for obvious reasons. I think I will be voting for Atlanta because I want to pass Tampa at this moment. Well as long as we keep winning of course. Now if we lose to the islanders then I will have to cheer for Tampa........

Win Habs Win.....make it easy on us Leaf Jersey burning Freaks!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't worry about Aebisher,...after all we have Huet. The team's play thought, specially

in the defensive zone was really sub-stantard, much more so than Aebisher own play was, I thought.

I dont know why it all look somewhat shaky,....and why Gainey brought in so much change in the lines...

Sundstrom was back...Streit had much ice time....Bulis centering the second line.....I am glad for the

points....the only reason why I wont try to understand what could be behing many unorthodox

coaching decisions is those points,......but I would be curious to know how you guys inerpreted those

changes Gainey's brought in tonight's game.

I wouldn't worry about Aebisher,...after all we have Huet. The team's play thought, specially

in the defensive zone was really sub-stantard, much more so than Aebisher own play was, I thought.

I dont know why it all look somewhat shaky,....and why Gainey brought in so much change in the lines...

Sundstrom was back...Streit had much ice time....Bulis centering the second line.....I am glad for the

points....the only reason why I wont try to understand what could be behing many unorthodox

coaching decisions is those points,......but I would be curious to know how you guys inerpreted those

changes Gainey's brought in tonight's game.

Easy. Fresh legs. Most of the habs were fried after that weekend with the leafs........it paid off.

Easy. Fresh legs. Most of the habs were fried after that weekend with the leafs........it paid off.

Et voila !

Correct answer and even more for me....a satisfying one,...I will sleep well now.

Geeze who to root for? Atlanta or Tampa, that'll be a great game. Do you cheer for Atlanta as they're 3 points behind and we need catch Tampa? Or do you go for Tampa and take the safe route into the playoffs, as Atlanta doesn't gain two points.

All I can say is cheer for a regulation winnner. No three point games.

Well, we were a perfect 2/2 for my bday weekend! I wish it was my bday all year round.. :D

PS. Thank goodness we've found our scoring touch...

Edited by lazy26

As a coach you'd look at this game and note a couple of things.....

A/ your team seems to play down to the level of the lower teams - this was sloppy hockey that wasn't at all present in the two games against the Leafs = while you gladly take the two points and get out of town as fast as you can there is possibly some reason for concern with that tendency?

B/ two extremely intense and emotionally draining games that were a must win against an arch rival who seems to rise above their actual talent level time and again against you (this was true even in the late 70's when the Habs were so dominant.) = that definitely affected what they had in the tank for this game.

C/ what seems to go right for Huet is not working for Aebischer - while he has been weak on occasion he also has caught some bad breaks at times that may result from a lack of cohesion with the defense. After all the Avs style is quite different from the Habs and it takes time to adapt to it. Whether he does adapt or not is still up for debate? = with so much on the line now he should only play once your playoff fate has been decided or an blowout/injury otherwise forces your hand.

With Huet playing the way he is, of the three points the first point would worry me more as that is where the vital playoff position points can be so easily squandered, and have been.

A/ your team seems to play down to the level of the lower teams - this was sloppy hockey that wasn't at all present in the two games against the Leafs = while you gladly take the two points and get out of town as fast as you can there is possibly some reason for concern with that tendency?

I kinda disagree with this. I don't believe Montreal plays at a lower level than these teams. I think Montreal is weak defensively and poor offensively, and are surviving with great goaltending. There was definitely sloppy hockey in the games against Toronto. In both games Toronto came out flying, with poor play by Montreal and only thanks to Huet in the first game did they not score early on. Toronto did score first in the second game, and Montreal was being outshot early again. Thankfully Telquivst played like shit in both games and surrender atleast 6 bad goals in the two games. Now Toronto is worse team than Montreal and Montreal eventually outplayed them and dominated them at times, but those games were a little closer than you think.

I kinda disagree with this. I don't believe Montreal plays at a lower level than these teams. I think Montreal is weak defensively and poor offensively, and are surviving with great goaltending. There was definitely sloppy hockey in the games against Toronto. In both games Toronto came out flying, with poor play by Montreal and only thanks to Huet in the first game did they not score early on. Toronto did score first in the second game, and Montreal was being outshot early again. Thankfully Telquivst played like shit in both games and surrender atleast 6 bad goals in the two games. Now Toronto is worse team than Montreal and Montreal eventually outplayed them and dominated them at times, but those games were a little closer than you think.

I never said that they play at a lower level level - I simply stated that they seem to drop the level of their game to match that of a much weaker team.

There is a difference between what your strengths/weaknesses are when playing to your realisticly full potential and actually playing down to the level of the teams at the bottom of the standings. An 8th place team is definitely better than a 16th place team - if they weren't then they'd be neck & neck in the standings. Toronto's last game against the same lowly Pen's was a product of much the same problems - even the analysts on this Playing down to the teams talent level happens not because of flaws in your talent, instead it is a result of attitude. You get caught up in their deficiencies and step out of the system. It can range from players trying to pad personal stats to just taking games against weaker opponents for granted. As a result the flaws a somewhat weaker team may have can become that much more obvious. Stronger teams can be guilty of the same approach and that is where management looks to assess their level of killer instinct. It's often what makes the difference between a solid contender and the winner.

Yes the Habs were guilty of a lot of mistakes last night - sloppy coverage, bad finishing, poor passes and fancy plays - Kovalevs' little defensive zone gem late in the game was a prime example of why coaches assess these games differently than most fans do(and it's a good thing they do assess teams differently than we as fans do or trades would be happening every week en masse.) That bonehead play was a major gaffe that occurs from a complacency that games with lower teams can create. It stems from nothing more and nothing less than taking a team like that for granted! The Habs have been guilty of this several times against weker teams this year - i.e Pittsburgh & Washington - and have lost valuable points as aresult of this tendency.

As a coach or a fan it is truly frustrating to watch...... 'cause you won't win the cup without that killer instinct in you!

Edited by beliveau1

The habs played pretty well against the leafs. The first minutes in both games were dominated by the Leafs but after that the Habs put the game out of reach with excellent passing and timely scoring.

I never said that they play at a lower level level - I simply stated that they seem to drop the level of their game to match that of a much weaker team.

Thats the exact same thing.

The habs played pretty well against the leafs. The first minutes in both games were dominated by the Leafs but after that the Habs put the game out of reach with excellent passing and timely scoring.

But mostly bad Toronto goaltending, coupled with superior Montreal goaltending

Quoting your response as follows: "I kinda disagree with this. I don't believe Montreal plays at a lower level than these teams..."

To clarify things a bit, which I probably should have done in my response. You mistakenly had said that I was suggesting that they played at a lower level than the Pens had - I was referring to that particular statement.

That's not what I was implying. There is a difference between playing down to their level and actually playing below it. The Habs are guilty of lowering their play to an equal level of the bottom teams at times = the kind of games we've seen them put up against some of the bottom dwellers......

p.s. If I caused any confusion in my wording then my apologies?

As a coach you'd look at this game and note a couple of things.....

B/ two extremely intense and emotionally draining games that were a must win against an arch rival who seems to rise above their actual talent level time and again against you (this was true even in the late 70's when the Habs were so dominant.) = that definitely affected what they had in the tank for this game.

C/ what seems to go right for Huet is not working for Aebischer - while he has been weak on occasion he also has caught some bad breaks at times that may result from a lack of cohesion with the defense. After all the Avs style is quite different from the Habs and it takes time to adapt to it. Whether he does adapt or not is still up for debate? = with so much on the line now he should only play once your playoff fate has been decided or an blowout/injury otherwise forces your hand.

With Huet playing the way he is, of the three points the first point would worry me more as that is where the vital playoff position points can be so easily squandered, and have been.

O.K?

O.K?

So - just a thought on this game as opposed to some of the others expressed here.

Guess anyone who suggests otherwise than some opinions continuouslyexpressed here doesn't make much sense? I'm an older fan who has been through the trenches with the Habs and I guess I see things from a different perspective than younger fans may. Just willing to express my two cents and don't expect people to agree all the time.

My point was that one should take many of the factors that occur in team sports into consideration and I disagreed with some of the opinions expressed about the game with the Pens.

Sorry but I think a little differently..... but I still love my Habs.

oh well...... rant completed!

Hey were all here to express our opinions and we don't always like what other people have to say, and don't have a problem saying that. I'm certainly guilty of that. I guess its just because we love our Habs so much.

Hey were all here to express our opinions and we don't always like what other people have to say, and don't have a problem saying that. I'm certainly guilty of that. I guess its just because we love our Habs so much.

I love that sentiment - brothers in Habland - here's to the next cup. I'll raise my glass to you when it happens no matter how many times we might agree or disagree here. It's all about the CH.......