Bulis Will Be Gone

GoHabs2002

If Gainey really wants him though he will make a RFA offer. I guess it will come down to Richards. Does he want to stay in Tampa or is he curious about Montreal?

when was the last time an RFA moved teams? I can't see BG giving up all those prospects and cash... or really any GM.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when was the last time an RFA moved teams? I can't see BG giving up all those prospects and cash... or really any GM.

I think the next time an RFA will be signed is in 2008 when both Crosby and Ovechkin are RFAs, someone is going to try it. I definitely would.

I guess it will come down to Richards. Does he want to stay in Tampa or is he curious about Montreal?

RFA signings have nothing do to with a player's location preference, though. That's the restricted part of RFA. Signing an offer sheet merely assures the player of getting the kind of contract he wants. WHere he plays is ultimately up to his originating team, in whether they match or not.

I think the next time an RFA will be signed is in 2008 when both Crosby and Ovechkin are RFAs, someone is going to try it. I definitely would.

As great as these 2 phenoms are, would you be willing to give them the 8-10 millions (assuming the cap keeps rising) that will be required to overbid their respective team, AND sacrifice your future by giving up 5 first rounders?

Which would you prefer (this is just a fictional example, not the current situation):

Sign a superstar RFA (ex. Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, ...)

or

Have youngsters like Komisarek, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostsitsyn, and Price in your organization, and still have the money (and cap room) to sign superstar unrestricted free agents (ex. Hossa, Heatley, ...).

I don't think there is any good reason to give away 5 first round picks, especially not with the new CBA. Every cheap quality youngster on the active roster gives you more flexibility to acquire quality veterans.

Just read this on ESPN:

In 1998, Carolina gave Sergei Fedorov a six year 38 million offer sheet. Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos has been a longtime rival apparently of Mike Ilitch (Detroit's owner), and Ilitch quickly matched the offer rather than take 5 1st's. The Hurricanes actually included in their offer a 14million dollar signing bonus and a 12mil bonus if they won the cup..and that year after re-signing Fedorov the Wings won the cup. So in roughly 3 months, he made 28million.

we'd better not lose bulis... give him a shift here and there on the PP and keep him happy... he's a valuable player...

The habs have too many players like Bulis.... C ya Jan

I guess it will come down to Richards. Does he want to stay in Tampa or is he curious about Montreal?

RFA signings have nothing do to with a player's location preference, though. That's the restricted part of RFA. Signing an offer sheet merely assures the player of getting the kind of contract he wants. WHere he plays is ultimately up to his originating team, in whether they match or not.

Crosby will look good in a Habs Jersey and he will be just entering his prime at 25.....

As great as these 2 phenoms are, would you be willing to give them the 8-10 millions (assuming the cap keeps rising) that will be required to overbid their respective team, AND sacrifice your future by giving up 5 first rounders?

Which would you prefer (this is just a fictional example, not the current situation):

Sign a superstar RFA (ex. Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, ...)

or

Have youngsters like Komisarek, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostsitsyn, and Price in your organization, and still have the money (and cap room) to sign superstar unrestricted free agents (ex. Hossa, Heatley, ...).

I don't think there is any good reason to give away 5 first round picks, especially not with the new CBA. Every cheap quality youngster on the active roster gives you more flexibility to acquire quality veterans.

I think the Cap is going to stabalize around +/-48m, which make a max. salary of 9.6m. I'd give Ovvy or Sidney that max contract offer sheet, but not Kovalchuk, Nash or anything other young star. Ovechkin first then Crosby. Those two will be able to carry a team, I think Kovalchuk is a great scorer, but I don't think he can carry a team.

I can honestly see Ovechkin and Crosby staying with thier respective clubs for a long long time. They both have great youth movments going and if they ever become playoff teams while still young it will only encourage them to stay.

I think the Cap is going to stabalize around +/-48m, which make a max. salary of 9.6m. I'd give Ovvy or Sidney that max contract offer sheet, but not Kovalchuk, Nash or anything other young star. Ovechkin first then Crosby. Those two will be able to carry a team, I think Kovalchuk is a great scorer, but I don't think he can carry a team.

If either Ovechkin or Crosby were UFAs, (assuming they both continue to progress well and become franchise players), I would have no problem giving them the max salary allowed by the NHL. However, if they were RFAs, I still would not give them the money, AND give up the 5 first rounders as well. I'd rather keep the picks, and sign a lesser, but still very good, player instead.

If either Ovechkin or Crosby were UFAs, (assuming they both continue to progress well and become franchise players), I would have no problem giving them the max salary allowed by the NHL. However, if they were RFAs, I still would not give them the money, AND give up the 5 first rounders as well. I'd rather keep the picks, and sign a lesser, but still very good, player instead.

I think most GMs think the way you do, which makes the RFA system the most restricted system in sports. I was sure the players/gms would seek to lower the compensation demands during the CBA negotiations, but they kept status quo.

You can kiss Bulis good bye. In today's Journal de Montréal, Bulis mentions that he's frustrated about not playing, that he doesn't understand why he's not playing (doesn't understand that he's a pussy in the corners) and that he will be going somewhere else next year to get more icetime.

He wants a more offensive role and we don't have that room for him here in Mtl.

With him and Sunny gone, there's another 2M$ available for next year.

Yeah it seems the writing is on the wall here. I've never been a huge Bulis supporter, but even I'm suprised by his lack of playing time. I think he may be usefull in the playoffs, but I hope he isn't back next year and it doesn't look like he will be. It'll be intersting to see how he plays elsewhere and whether he can hit the 20 goal mark. I doubt it

And your right, that $2 Million in savings with Sundstrom and Bulis will hopefully come in handy.

The habs have too many players like Bulis.... C ya Jan

Crosby will look good in a Habs Jersey and he will be just entering his prime at 25.....

I don't like that kid very much. I did, but I'm slowly losing respect, with every pittsburgh game I see. To tell you the truth, I hope and pray that he never puts on a habs jersey.

I don't like that kid very much. I did, but I'm slowly losing respect, with every pittsburgh game I see. To tell you the truth, I hope and pray that he never puts on a habs jersey.

I understand what you mean, but I think as he matures he'll end up becoming a better hockey player respect-wise. He just needs to shut his mouth and play hockey. I will say this though, I'd rather see Ovechkin as a habs instead of Crosby.

yeah without a doubt the pens would trade crosby for ovechkin stright up right now, who wouldn't

Absolutley no question. I'd trade Ovechkin straight up for anybody in this league right now. No ifs, ands or buts. This kid is phenomenal

Edited by kaos

I think Bulis has every right to ask for a more offensive role. He's definitely more than a fast third line winger like some of you call him. So far he's second (unless Kovalev passed him recently) on the team in goals even though he's been getting limited ice time and being forced to play a defensive game. Both guys with more goals than Bulis have gotten many games on the first line and played pretty much all the rest on the second. I see Bulis as a fast goal-scorer who's strong defensively rather than a fast checker who's decent offensively. This is a guy that if he ever finds the right linemate WILL become a 30 goal scorer someday. I don't think Montrela has that player but I realy want to see him play with Ribeiro on the second line (taking Zhog's place - Bulis-Ribeiro-Kovalev) and see what he can do. If he doesn't produce then I guess he'll never pan out like he was supposed to. There's also no way that we get a trade for him. No one would rent a player during the offseason - he never even plays one game for you.

Just finished reading the thread and saw that it was confirmed that he's leaving next season.

No way would I pay Crosby 9-10 mill!! Of course, he's going to improve every year but to me he's a "good" player with amazing passing and playmaking skills. He really doesn't have that much else to his game and he's VERY overrated. Not to mention that he's got one of the worst work ethics in the league and his teammates don't like him. Please keep him out of Montreal - we can get more for our 5 1st rounders. On the other hand, if Crosby shuts up and plays hockey than maybe he'll become a "very good" player. I also think there's no way he'll ever lead a team. He isn't an impact player - he's a very good player. There's a huge difference and when you compare him to someone like Ovechkin then it only stands out more and more.

I think Bulis has every right to ask for a more offensive role. He's definitely more than a fast third line winger like some of you call him. So far he's second (unless Kovalev passed him recently) on the team in goals even though he's been getting limited ice time and being forced to play a defensive game.

Bulis has had several opportunities in the past to play an offensive role, but he never seized one. He played several times with either Koivu or Ribeiro on the top scoring lines, but he never put up the numbers. Again earlier this season, he had some opportunities, both as a winger and a center, to play an offensive role as he played with everyone on this team including Kovalev, Koivu, Zednik, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Ryder, and even Kostsitsyn at some point.

Unfortunately, besides one hot streak this season, Bulis failed to prove that he could be anything more than a [soft] defensive forward with the occasional streak. When Koivu (and also Kovalev) was injured, he had a golden opportunity to prove to Gainey that he was more than that; he had a lot of ice time in all game situations, including quite a bit on the power play. But again, although he didn't play badly, he didn't show that he could do more.

Basically, Bulis is another Dagenais, but more reliable defensively which means that he'll always be able to find some work in the NHL. Like Dagenais, he's got some skills, and he had some offensive potential, but he was just missing that little "je ne sais quoi". However, Bulis isn't a young prospect anymore, and the upside is pretty much gone. The guy is in his prime, and cannot get much better.

That's what you would have said about Huet before the season. Guys pan out at different times and you can never just lose your potential. Look at Cheechoo - once Thorotn came along he magically became a 50 goal scorer. Same for Gagne with Forsberg next to him. Kiprussoff was a late bloomer who came out of nowhere. I belive Hasek joined the picture pretty late. Speaking of soft, fast wingers, what about Matin St Louis who's been nothing his whole career before having that amazing season. You can never just say "this guy will never get any better than he is right now."

That's what you would have said about Huet before the season. Guys pan out at different times and you can never just lose your potential. Look at Cheechoo - once Thorotn came along he magically became a 50 goal scorer. Same for Gagne with Forsberg next to him. Kiprussoff was a late bloomer who came out of nowhere. I belive Hasek joined the picture pretty late. Speaking of soft, fast wingers, what about Matin St Louis who's been nothing his whole career before having that amazing season. You can never just say "this guy will never get any better than he is right now."

True, but all the same faith in a player has to be based on SOMETHING. Apart from his wheels, I don't know what that would be in Bulis's case. He's been in the league nine years and has never shown anything more than what he's shown with us this season. 17 goals...well, that may have *led the team* for a while, but that's precisely what's wrong with the Habs at this point, that middling talents like Bulis can do that. The player he reminds me of is Benoit Brunet, only with less grit; both were effective third-liners prone to occasional scoring streaks, and then both would revert to their usual inability to score on open nets. Nothing against the guy, but holding onto him instead of making ice time for the youngsters seems dubious to me.

Martin St-Louis' situation back then was completely different from Bulis's current situation. St-Louis was a speedy, skilled, but VERY small forward that had never yet convinced a team to see past his small frame to give him a real shot in the NHL. He had only played a total of 69 games in the NHL, spread over only 2 season, and still that was pretty much as a 4th line / backup player. The NHL was (and still is right now) all about size and defensive reliability, which are not St-Louis' strengths. The Lightning gave him a chance in an offensive role, and he seized it.

Bulis however is now 27 years old, and is an 8th season veteran. He has played in 465 games, in which he was given all kinds of roles and opportunities. He has been used as a defensive forward, an offensive forward, a penalty killer, a powerplay shooter, a shutdown guy, and any other role you can think of for a forward. He's played with everyone on the current roster, and I'm pretty sure he's had the chance to play with either Adam Oates and/or Peter Bondra in Washington. Because of his good size, good overall skills, and the fact that he's not a defensive liability, he's the kind of player of will always be given a chance. Unfortunately, he's pretty much proven that he's never going to become an offensive threat in the NHL.

Again, I don't mind Bulis as a 3rd line defensive forward, however, he will be an unrestricted (I think) free agent this summer, and we have players (rookies, prospects, and veterans) that are capable of easily replacing him. I believe that we are better off keeping his 1.5M-2M, combining it with the 1.5M-2M that Ribeiro will be asking for, and instead getting us a much better top 2 center.

Edited by CerebusClone

From what I remember when Kovy and Koivu were out (late December all January) Buils was given a scoring role and put up about 20 points in a month’s time. I believe he does have an argument and would love to see him centre Kovy and Zed for two or three games so they could build some chemistry.

Well, historically he's played his best hockey in January. If he signs with the Leafs I will kill myself... or him.

Bulis has had more scoring opportunities then anyone in the league (perhaps overstating it..). However, he rarely turns them into goals.

I have always said that if Bulis could convert, he would be a great player. He has the speed and hockey sense to create opportunities, but he has hands of stone. Yes he got some goals this year during a hot streak, but think of all the goals he didn't get. To my way of thinking, he has proven he does not have hot hands, just hot legs. Legs slow down with age!

I would rather have a proven goal scorer who is slowing down a bit, then fast guy with poor hands who is slowing down. At least guys like O'Neil and Lindros can convert on the PP when they get the shot.

Bulis has probably peaked. He might have a decent year or two to go, but I don't think he will ever turn into a 20+ goal scorer. If he fancies himself that and does not like his defensive roll, then send him packing.

i dunno... perhaps with a good centre and a full season on a scoring line Bulis could eclipse 20 goals... but I dont know if I want the bell centre to be the laboratory for that experiment...