Magic Number Is 1!

GoHabs2002

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

note that as of right now we lose the first (end of season) tie breaker to Tampa Bay - wins.

We win the 2nd tie breaker (season series).

We better win that season series against New Jersey, because if it ends up tied, it doesn't look so good for the goal differential tie breaker (mtl is the only team of the group that still carries a negative differential).

We're only one win back now of Tampa with the same amount of games played, BUT we're two points ahead of them.

.340 hockey is all we have to achieve to make the playoffs. This is based on Atlanta & Toronto getting all their remaining points. .340 still wins with 94 points.

LET'S FACE IT - THE CANADIENS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS! - Pomme De Terre!

4 POINTS! :hlogo:

.340 hockey is all we have to achieve to make the playoffs. This is based on Atlanta & Toronto getting all their remaining points. .340 still wins with 94 points.

LET'S FACE IT - THE CANADIENS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS! - Pomme De Terre!

4 POINTS! :hlogo:

<knocks on wood> :angry2:

GO HABS GO!!!

Habs still aren't out of the woods. I think they have the toughest schedule down the final stretch of the four teams still in the running (Habs, Lightning, Thrashers & Leafs.) Ottawa, Jersey and Buffalo are going to be tough. All are playoff teams above you in the standings.

It's going to be interesting as there is little margin for error with a 6 point lead on Atlanta and 7 on the Leafs.

All of the games are important, but the game against Boston is crucial - you have to beat the teams below you.

If they lose that one and it is the one that comes back to bite them...... ouch!

They have to win as many as possible ASAP and take care of business themselves - but you welcome any help possible!

Mr. Beliveau, the Boston game might be important but it is nowhere near our most important game remaining. Remember - we still play New Jersey again.

Habs still aren't out of the woods. I think they have the toughest schedule down the final stretch of the four teams still in the running (Habs, Lightning, Thrashers & Leafs.) Ottawa, Jersey and Buffalo are going to be tough.

Let's be honest. I really don't see the Leafs making the playoffs nor Jersey dropping their last four, so it all comes down to the Thrashers, Lightning and the Habs.

We definitely do have the toughest schedule and two games against Buffalo scares me a great deal. Two points out of that split would be satisfactory but four would definitely be better.

The biggest game in this race right now is tomorrow's contest between the Lightning & Thrashers - if the Lightning wins, all we need is two points out of eight. Thing is, the Thrashers have been really average of late and I'm just waiting for them to get on a run.

Lightning have two games against the 'Canes - both are 6-4 in their last ten, though the 'Bolts have a 4-2 record against the 'Canes. Interesting stuff...

We still have a very good chance to catch New Jersey. We are two points behind and we play them in the last game of the season. If we can win that game in regulation all we need to do is get more points than them in the intervening 3 games we each play.

Also I think we have the easist schedule between us, NJ and TB. We play 2 against the Sabres (home and away), who have been very average since the Olympics, 1 against the Bruins (in Boston) who have been horrible lately and 1 against NJ (at home).

NJ has the toughest schedule. They play the Hurricanes(away), then 2 home games against the Flyers and then us in Montreal.

TB play the Thrashers tonight, then they get the Hurricanes twice! (away and home) and finish at home versus the Caps. TB does have the advantage of 3 home games but they are 2 points behind us and 4 points behind NJ.

The Thrashers are pretty much out of it as far as catching us. They need to win their final 5 games and hope we only take 2 points in our final 4. Note that this means that contrary to the current title of this thread ("Magic Number is 2") our magic number versus TB is 3. (It is 2 versus the Leafs).

The Devils are on a 7-0 streak right now with against quality teams in that streak while Philly has 2-4 in their last six with wins against the Isles and Sabres, no to mention a 6-2 loss to the Laffs.

Speaking of the Sabres, they still scare me. Maybe it was that playoff shutout a few years ago (the exact season has been erased from my memory, thank-you very much mr. Thibault, mr. Rucinsky, mr. Kovalenko....) but for some reason they have had our number over the last few seasons during clutch times. Admittedly, two of their last three wins came from beating up on the Sens but that 7-0 loss to the Laffs!?!

Looking at it properly, Mr. Puck, I agree the Habs schedule looks easier now but there are still some scares and those two Sabres games shouldn't be taken lightly.

Mr. Beliveau, the Boston game might be important but it is nowhere near our most important game remaining. Remember - we still play New Jersey again.

It is important because it is a team below you in the standings. It is a game that teams still fighting for a playoff birth must win. It is the only team below you in the standings that you will play down the stretch.

Beat Jersey, but lose to Boston and the Jersey game possibly means squat as far as catching them goes!

So this game is a must for point accumulations - not for clinching a playoff berth, but for final positioning.

Games lost to teams below you in the standings can hurt you big time - ask the Flyers if they'd like the last couple of losses to the Leafs back or not?

Think outside the box on this one. It is important, but not for the conventional reasons.

Actually I'd say they are all equally important. The New Jersey game becomes important if we are tied with New Jersey in points going into the last game. That then becomes the most important game as we need to be 1 point infront of them in the standings, as New Jersey owns the tie breaker.

Other than that, all the games are equally important as Montreal needs to win them to 1) solidify their playoff spot, 2) catch New Jersey

Lose to the Bruins and possibly live to regret it position wise - that's my reasoning on a morning when I can't spell Sabres right :blush:

Lose to the Bruins and possibly live to regret it position wise - that's my reasoning on a morning when I can't spell Sabres right :blush:

Hey I would rather see that kind of mistake, then the guys who type on here only IN CAPITALS, or start typing ebonics, or typing shortforms like b4, or players names like Komi, Perez or Kovy "cuz" its easier.

Your mistake was minor, and anybody with a brainstem knew what you were saying Beliveau1. Kinda pathetic the way he pointed it out.

Hey I would rather see that kind of mistake, then the guys who type on here only IN CAPITALS, or start typing ebonics, or typing shortforms like b4, or players names like Komi, Perez or Kovy "cuz" its easier.

Your mistake was minor, and anybody with a brainstem knew what you were saying Beliveau1. Kinda pathetic the way he pointed it out.

I'm a big boy and can take my lumps - none in my coffee though.....

And I agree with you = presentation is important.

Edited by beliveau1