Official Hab's Nicknames

CoRvInA

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Rydes Her (avec beaucoup de Latendresse)

HEHEHE.

He bonk'd her koivu with his johnson :( Souray about that!

What? What are you all looking at?

LOL

hahahaha

I've heard that Bouillon is referred to as "Franky Boul" by his teammates. And Ribeiro was "Mickey Ribs".

Both awfully long and awkward nicknames if you ask me.

I like those nicks.. sounds like new york mobsters from movies :D

Michael Rydes Her (avec beaucoup de Latendresse)

HEHEHE.

He bonk'd her koivu with his johnson :( Souray about that!

What? What are you all looking at?

I sense a markov humor in here !!

I don't mind if you have your own player nicknames, everyone does. What's annoying is if I were to see a thread that simply says "Did you see the play by The Shogun last night? Mr Binkers had a great pass to him after Acropolis dumped it up along the boards." How the hell would I figure out who anyone is talking about? It's hard enough decifering some posts without having to figure out what players are being discussed.

Just a pet peeve of mine...I can't stand when people always have to use metaphors, catch phrases, nicknames constantly. This is something a LOT of local sports announcers are guilty of. If I here Craig Laughlin say "biscuit in the basket" one more freaking time, I'm flying down to Washington to kick his arse.

Gonna have to somewhat agree here with Huzer here, especially about the need to make up stupid catchphrases and expressions to spice things up. More often not, it just ends up reminding me of the movie Mean Girls where Lacey Chabert's character tried to make "Fetch" popular...

Anyway, my shortand/nickname list... aside from the usual "y-ized names (Kovy, Sammy, Dandy, etc.):

Plekanec: Plex.

Perezhogin: Zhog, started using it on ESPN the day we drafted him because I couldnt spell his damn name.

Komisarek: K-Rex, from a long time ago, or just Komi.

Higgins: Higgy Pop, stole that one from Palffy's Ziggy Pop...

Latendresse: Lats or Tender... for now Once enough people get to see my avatar, Big Bro will be in effect... (that's my Fetch moment...)

Huet: Huet. Its already just 4-letters long, no need for a nickname!

last night on OLN they had Higgins mic'd. He called Bonk Bonkers, he called Janne Ninnima- janee (except the ja sounded french like Jenne, he said something to Ryder but i couldnt hear what he called him, The commintators were laughing at Bonkers

• 2 weeks later...
Then how about "Borat" for Perezhogin?

I don't think he'd really appreciate it, regardless of whether he's ethnically Russian or Khazak. Many Khazaks are seriously offended by Borat, and I can't really blame them.

I don't think he'd really appreciate it, regardless of whether he's ethnically Russian or Khazak. Many Khazaks are seriously offended by Borat, and I can't really blame them.

Which is too bad really, as Sacha is making more fun of Americans than he is the Khazak people. But I understand why they are upset.

Which is too bad really, as Sacha is making more fun of Americans than he is the Khazak people. But I understand why they are upset.

I know, but just imagine if someone NOT canadian was going around in places of the world where they know nothing about Canada (as people here know nothing about Khazakstan) and making up stuff. It might be a little funny, but it would also be seriously offensive to some. And it's not the same as Americans making fun of us, because they're right next door so they do know something about Canada. I think he (Sacha) should have just made up a country that didn't actually exist. It wouldn't risk upsetting so many people. But I guess with comedians, nothing's sacred.

I don't think it would work for Sacha Baron-Cohen to make up a country - many people are aware which countries exist and which don't, and if it's not really a country, it would blow his cover - his gig is to have people believe that he's a real journalist from a real place. That said, I can understand Kazakhs being upset about Borat, even though it's hilarious. The movie seems to make fun of Kazakhs in a way that the tv segment doesn't.

As for whether Perezhogin would appreciate it...I think it's all in the delivery - I can imagine Mike Johnson getting a smile out of him with it.

I don't think it would work for Sacha Baron-Cohen to make up a country - many people are aware which countries exist and which don't, and if it's not really a country, it would blow his cover - his gig is to have people believe that he's a real journalist from a real place. That said, I can understand Kazakhs being upset about Borat, even though it's hilarious. The movie seems to make fun of Kazakhs in a way that the tv segment doesn't.

As for whether Perezhogin would appreciate it...I think it's all in the delivery - I can imagine Mike Johnson getting a smile out of him with it.

Are you kidding? Have you seen "talking to Americans" with Rick Mercer? He's told people that the US is going to bomb "east timor and west edmonton" and they believed him. Never mind that East Timor is in Indonesia and West Edmonton is, well, West Edmonton. If Borat said he was from "Urmenistan" no one would know or realize the place didn't exist. They'd figure it was another post-Soviet country. He could still make all his jokes about Hating people from Uzbekistan, etc...

Are you kidding? Have you seen "talking to Americans" with Rick Mercer? He's told people that the US is going to bomb "east timor and west edmonton" and they believed him. Never mind that East Timor is in Indonesia and West Edmonton is, well, West Edmonton. If Borat said he was from "Urmenistan" no one would know or realize the place didn't exist. They'd figure it was another post-Soviet country. He could still make all his jokes about Hating people from Uzbekistan, etc...

Comedians offend...that is in fact what makes it funny. You referenced "Talking to Americans" which I have personally watched for several years, it makes fun of both the stereotypes of Canadians and the ignorance of Americans that fuels the stereotypes. It is hilarious ! There are things about the citizens of each country that makes us unique to that country and also give ammunition to comedians from other countries .... Live, love ...LAUGH ! :P

Comedians offend...that is in fact what makes it funny. You referenced "Talking to Americans" which I have personally watched for several years, it makes fun of both the stereotypes of Canadians and the ignorance of Americans that fuels the stereotypes. It is hilarious ! There are things about the citizens of each country that makes us unique to that country and also give ammunition to comedians from other countries .... Live, love ...LAUGH ! :P

Yes, but Rick Mercer IS Canadian, so he can say whatever he wants. I'm amused at "Talking to Americans" because I'm Canadian, but I would absolutely NOT blame someone from Khazakstan who was insulted at a Non-Khazak painting his/her country like a mysogynistic, anti-semitic, illiterate bunch of people. And I have a feeling if Rick Mercer went around saying things that were absurd but also downright rude, I might be offended. If he said that Canadians liked rape and incest, instead of that we just recently legalized staplers, these aren't the same things, and I'd be mad.

I like comedy. I like humour. I just don't think it's really okay to be offensive and get away with it just because you're being 'funny'. It's a carte blanche to insult everyone.

I just heard Abby call Komisarek "Komo" when he came to his rescue.... he said "Komo must like me" and then he will buy him a couple of beers

Komisarek gets called either "Komi" or "Komo" interchangeably.

Saku is also "Sak" and Souray is "Shelly". I've heard both referred to by these nicknames by players in interviews, just can't remember when or who anymore.

• 2 weeks later...