Best Habs Team Since 1993?

HipHipHuet

Its been a while since MTL has had a team like this one. I think Gainey really went in the right direction with Carbo behind the bench and character guys like Downey and Murray. With guys like Murray, Downey Souray,Rivet,Higgins,Begin and Komisarek it must be much more fun in the locker room...these guys love to play hockey and they are gratefull of being able to fulfill their dream : playing in the NHL. Even Radek Bonk has found back his will to play after a very very very difficult season.

They play so well right now I cant help but think they are the best team we've had since at least 10 years. I do not want to bash Europeans since our best players are Europeans, but having a good group of North American kids in the line up is the best thing that could happen to the Habs. It brings enthusiasm...im not saying European players are not enthusiast but they do not have the same mentality when they get into the NHL. Its a new reality to them. They have a tendency to slack a bit when things dont turn their way...they question themselves a lot more. Players like Begin, Downey, Murray and Komisarek are easier to coach and when you say they had a bad night they give all they got the next game.

I think we have almost all the pieces in place to make us a cup contender...we just need a bit more firepower!

Don't forget the 01-02 team. THat was a team that could go all the way. We should have won that series against the Canes. And with THeo on fire like he was, you had a real cup contending team.

But for sure we have a good team, but this team is not on his top (to win a cup) i believe. THe rookies need a little bit progress. And we miss some D. But the truth is, it's a very good team. THat can go some rounds. But we're not a cupcontender.(imo)

and i believe that we have the best coaching staff since 1993 tooooo~

leaderhsip - experience - thirst of victory

we used to get a lot of *quebecer* with the team -- which lots of people think it's good but if we look in our lineup now, only ribs, bégin, dandy and bouillon remain~

i think that BOB's mentality = i dunt care what nationality the player is from, as long as he fits in our team and do what he has to do~ BUT, if there are 2 players with the same talent / productivity / work intensity / salary, and one of them is a quebecer, that guy will be select~

ok~ gotta run to work now :(

BYE BYE :)

This is definitely the best team since 1993. That 2002 team was terrible... that team wouldn't have gotten to the playoffs if it wasn't for a Hall of Fame-type performance by Théo down the stretch and wouldn't have gotten out of the first round if it wasn't for a Hall of Shame-type performance by Byron Dafoe and the emotional lift supplied by Koivu's return. The 2002 team had the likes of Oleg Petrov, Andreas Dackell, Sergei Berezin, Chad Kilger, Shaun Van Allen, Bill Lindsay and Karl Dykhuis playing important minutes. This year's edition is MUCH better than the 2002 team.

Edited by option+

I guess it really is hard to say with so many rookies, Higgins, Plekanec,, Perezhogin, Murray (I think he's still classified as a rookie) and Mark Streit, and 2nd year player Komisarek. With so much inexperience its exciting to see whats happening now and what could be in the future if the proper pieces are kept intact.

Maybe better to ask this question next year, or the year after. The team should only get better

Edited by kaos

we used to get a lot of *quebecer* with the team -- which lots of people think it's good but if we look in our lineup now, only ribs, bégin, dandy and bouillon remain~

Bouillon is a New Yorker. :hlogo:

I will make one comparison though. Huet = Roy at this point and how important he is for this teams playoff run.

This is definitely the best team since 1993. That 2002 team was terrible... had the likes of Oleg Petrov, Andreas Dackell, Sergei Berezin, Chad Kilger, Shaun Van Allen, Bill Lindsay and Karl Dykhuis playing important minutes.

Ouch I cringe just reading those names. And don't forget Patrick Traverse, our stalwart D-man... :blink:

and i believe that we have the best coaching staff since 1993 tooooo~

leaderhsip - experience - thirst of victory

ok~ gotta run to work now :(

BYE BYE :)

Hey Bebe -- Congratulations on your :king: 1,000th post :king: coming very soon!!!

I guess it really is hard to say with so many rookies, Higgins, Plekanec,, Perezhogin, Murray (I think he's still classified as a rookie) and Mark Streit, and 2nd year player Komisarek. With so much inexperience its exciting to see whats happening now and what could be in the future if the proper pieces are kept intact.

Maybe better to ask this question next year, or the year after. The team should only get better

And kaos congratulations on your 1,000th post which came recently!! :hockey:

definitely the best team we have had in a long time. What is even better is the outlook for the future. Gainey needs to tweak a couple of things and we are a real contender. That is exciting

:hlogo: And PM Koivu you are but days away from your 1,000th too -- Congrats! :hlogo:

Edited by JeanLucPilon

Ouch I cringe just reading those names. And don't forget Patrick Traverse, our stalwart D-man... :blink:

Actually, I try very hard to forget Mr. Traverse, which is why I didn't mention him. :P Traverse is my least favourite habs ever, the thought of him in a Habs uniform gives me the overwhelming urge to dunk my head in a tub of ice water.

The team that breaks my heart is the 1995-96 team, which was probably more talented than the 1993 edition.

G Patrick Roy (Jose Theodore in the wings)

D Odelien, Malakhov, Rivet, Quintal, Daigneault, Brisebois

F

Pierre Turgeon

Vincet Damphousse

Mark Recchi

Saku Koivu

Craig Conroy (!)

Valeri Bure

Mike Keane

Darcy Tucker (!)

Martin Ruscinsky

Turner Stevenson

Oleg Petrov

Now THAT's a nucleus. If it had been left intact instead of destroyed by that drooling jackanapse Rejean Houle and his bungling sidekick Mario Blueberry, we could very well have contended for a 24th Cup somewhere in the late 1990s. Assholes. :puke:

And by the way, the current team couldn't hold a candle either to the squad above OR the 1993 edition. But with all the young guns we may yet do so, in 2-3 years.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Have to say this team is the best one since '93.

Probably has the potential to be even better than that edition with the right moves!

Solid coaching, better management and more depth in the system.....

The future is looking great!

Yeah the future looks great. And to think about that, people suggesting some rookies to get traded. Talks of Pleks or Perezhogin should be giving up for another great player that is now on his top. Forget it, let this team progress, and mature. Until we have a team that KICKS ASS!! (which we do now and then already)

I have to agree with the Chicoutimi Cucumber that the 95-96 roster was better than the current roster. You have to give it to Reggie Houle, he really knows how to destroy a team. How do you go from having centers Turgeon, Damphousse, Koivu, Tucker, and Conroy in your ranks to pretty much just Koivu? Eric Landry was one of our top 2 centers for a few games while Koivu was injured!

As for the current roster, once we replace Ribeiro (either by Plekanec if he progresses REALLY well, or another acquisition), and we have Kostsitsyn, Chipchura, and Latendresse as regulars on the roster, we could very welll be at least as good as the 92-93 roster. Just for fun, a roster that we could have in 2 years:

Higgins-Koivu-Kostsitsyn

Ryder-(Arnott)-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Chipchura-Latendresse

Lapierre-(Matieu Aubin)-Begin

Markov-Komisarek

Souray-O'Byrne

Emelin-Rivet

If the prospects develop well, that's defenitely a the roster of a team that could contend... (I think Arnott and Kovalev would complement each other extremely well).

The team that breaks my heart is the 1995-96 team, which was probably more talented than the 1993 edition.

F

Pierre Turgeon

Vincet Damphousse

Mark Recchi

Saku Koivu

Craig Conroy (!)

Valeri Bure

Mike Keane

Darcy Tucker (!)

Martin Ruscinsky

Turner Stevenson

Oleg Petrov

Now THAT's a nucleus. If it had been left intact instead of destroyed by that drooling jackanapse Rejean Houle and his bungling sidekick Mario Blueberry, we could very well have contended for a 24th Cup somewhere in the late 1990s. Assholes. :puke:

And by the way, the current team couldn't hold a candle either to the squad above OR the 1993 edition. But with all the young guns we may yet do so, in 2-3 years.

25th CUP :king:

Maybe in the not to distant future if Higgins, Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Plekanec and Komisarek keep developing positively, along with the stellar goaltending of Huet

For all we know, it could be this year. With the great parity in the NHL, any team could beat any other team in a best of 7 series. That's really not likely, but the best team on paper hardly ever wins the Cup. With that said, I'm not making any plans for celebrating in May.

F

Pierre Turgeon

Vincet Damphousse

Mark Recchi

Saku Koivu

Craig Conroy (!)

Valeri Bure

Mike Keane

Darcy Tucker (!)

Martin Ruscinsky

Turner Stevenson

Oleg Petrov

They finished 3rd in their conference and only managed to put up 90 pts that year. They looked better on paper than they actually were in the end. This years team may not have a lot of big names, but they are a better 'team' = they seem to play better together. And they definitely have more potential in the current system than at the time under Houle's regime. Yes Houle did destroy a decent team, but some of his drafts weren't all that bad either? Go figure that one out, eh? :wacko:

The Canadiens owe Andre Savard a big one for his reconstruction work. The guy was awful for building a coherent team, and for negociating contracts (ex. Brisebois), but he's a really great talent scout. Unlike with the Senators, he never had any of those top draft picks to rebuild the team with blue chip prospects, but he did great with whatever he had.

The only good picks Houle did were [lucky] late-round picks like Markov and Ryder. To his defense, he came close to leaving a good legacy in his final year with the selections of Hainsey, Hossa, and Balej; they were close to becoming star players, but none of them ever fulfilled their potential (although Hainsey seems to finally be merging as a good defenseman with the Blue Jackets).

The Canadiens owe Andre Savard a big one for his reconstruction work. The guy was awful for building a coherent team, and for negociating contracts (ex. Brisebois), but he's a really great talent scout. Unlike with the Senators, he never had any of those top draft picks to rebuild the team with blue chip prospects, but he did great with whatever he had.

The only good picks Houle did were [lucky] late-round picks like Markov and Ryder. To his defense, he came close to leaving a good legacy in his final year with the selections of Hainsey, Hossa, and Balej; they were close to becoming star players, but none of them ever fulfilled their potential (although Hainsey seems to finally be merging as a good defenseman with the Blue Jackets).

Absolutley. Kudo's to Andre Savard for sure. I still hope he has alot to do with the scouting of players. I know he got moved around alot in the organization, but the guy definitley knows talent. A great front office guy

I was going to say that I would hold all comparisons until after the playoffs, but I think your idea is probably more realistic. To sleep perchance to dream :hockey: :hlogo: :hockey: for Stanley :)

I've never had as much fun watching hockey as back in '93, but let's not overestimate the quality of that team. Some very good components: Great goalie, solid D, and one good scoring line.

In the end, winning it took a miracle run of overtime wins made easier by the elimination of several strong teams before the Habs had to face them.

Here's the roster:

Jesse Belanger

Brian Bellows

Patrice Brisebois

Benoit Brunet

Guy Carbonneau

JJ Daigneault

Vincent Damphousse

Eric Desjardins

Gilbert Dionne

Paul DiPietro

Donald Dufresne

Todd Ewen

Kevin Haller

Sean Hill

Mike Keane

Stephan Lebeau

John LeClair

Gary Leeman

Kirk Muller

Lyle Odelein

Oleg Petrov

Andre Racicot

Rob Ramage

Mario Roberge

Ed Ronan

Patrick Roy

Denis Savard

Mathieu Schneider

Some good names in there, but a whole hell of a lot of filler (Dionne, Ramage, Ronan, Leeman, etc). All this to say...I don't think the current quality is that far off from that year. Our top line hasn't come close to what Bellows-Muller-Damphousse was able to achieve, but I think there's currently more talent through the other lines...

I think the 2006 team has a better D overall. Desjardins and Schneider were a good Top 2 in 1993, but Brisebois, Haller, Daigneault, Ramage, Odelein, Dufresne were only an average 3-8. I'd rather have Komisarek, Rivet, Dandeneault, Bouillon, Streit and Simpson.

There's probably more top flight offensive talent this year than in 1993, but the 1993 never had the problems with offense that this year's group did. The 1993 team has much better secondary scorers/grinders than this year's addition, IMO, with guys like Mike Keane (60 points that year!), Carbonneau, LeClair, and, in the playoffs, Switzerland's own Paul DiPietro.

And as good as Huet has been, he's no Patrick Roy.