1st Round: Canes Vs Habs (preview Thread)

puck7x

Canes in 5.

Because unless Gainey inserts a firecracker into the collective arse of the Habs, we're going to watch Carolina skate past us and to the SC Finals.

Although good work picking up the weak points, hope we can use 'em.

We get to see Carb and Gainey in play-off form. When we played the Canes things were not right . Don't jump on the Canes bandwagon yet. This a brand new season. The habs have got better the canes have got worse.

Ever since they brought over play-off expierience.......Recchi? maby he'll teach them all how to CHOKE.

I guess I’ll have to remind everyone of one startling fact. In 2002 when Montreal beat Boston and then fell to pieces against Carolina there was one noticeable trend with the Canadiens.

That is, they played BRILLIANTLY without the puck. So, I pose the question. Was this mastery the result of Michel Therrien’s brilliance :wacko: or could it have been Carbonneau as assistant coach?

The answer is clear!

Now, we are in for a treat. Is there anyone in the house who remembers the 1991 playoffs? If not, you’re about to meet Mr. Gainey – the playoff version.

Gainey being the coach can not be written off as insignificant. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gainey “get’s into (Laviolette’s) his head”. And, as good as a team may be, if the coaching wheels fall off in the playoffs it can be devastating.

And, while I’m on the subject, we were leading Carolina in 2002 and threatening to take a commanding 3-1 lead. That is until Therrien couldn’t shut his big mouth and received a bench minor from McCreary.

I remember watching the game. I remember saying,

“Therrien, shut up”.

“Therrien, shut up”.

"Therrien, shut up”

"ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH"

BOOM – bench minor…

…and it was all downhill from there.

Gainey won’t be fall for this nonsense!

TIME FOR REVENGE!

GO HABS GO! :hlogo:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I'll echo what Fanpuck said... I'd much rather be playing Ottawa. Sometimes it's all about the way you match up against a team, not their respective talent levels. We've shown we can compete with Ottawa, but not with Carolina.

However, all the contrary points are good ones - we'll definitely do better against them than we did in the regular season, but that's not saying much, since we were horrible. If it comes down to goaltending (as so many series do), the Habs could provide an upset.

Still, I think there's too much to overcome. Canes in 6.

I'll echo what Fanpuck said... I'd much rather be playing Ottawa. Sometimes it's all about the way you match up against a team, not their respective talent levels. We've shown we can compete with Ottawa, but not with Carolina.

However, all the contrary points are good ones - we'll definitely do better against them than we did in the regular season, but that's not saying much, since we were horrible. If it comes down to goaltending (as so many series do), the Habs could provide an upset.

Still, I think there's too much to overcome. Canes in 6.

Hate You!

the way they played against new jerzey, they'll take a 3-0 lead only to lose the series 4-3.

and you!

Here's hoping Gainey makes the right decision and puts Aebischer in the net. The 'canes have lacked chemistry since the Weight and Recchi acquisitions. Here's hoping we play to our potential and meet the Sens in round 2. At least against the 'canes we have a chance at round 2. Against the Sens, that chance would be almost nil. They're too good when healthy to be beaten in a 7 game series... and they're basically healthy now.

The Habs always seem to pull off an upset in the first round lately. So im thinking that this years upset is Carolina and then we play the Sens whom weve done fairly well agaisnt this year. After that Im afraid that its either Buffalo or NJ in the Confrence final.... SCARY!!!

:hlogo:

GO HABS GO!!!!

how come the breaking news on the HW home page says that game # 1 is Friday? I'm assuming that's a mistake and that it hasn't been moved from Saturday to Friday...

You are correct it is Saturday!

Prediction:

Game 1:

Canadiens 5

Hurricanes 2

Game 2:

Canadiens 3

Hurricanes 4 OT

Game 3:

Hurricanes 1

Canadiens 4

Game 4: