Some Hockey Fans Disgust Me

Fanpuck33

From the article about Ribeiro:

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...d4-457dc2244e18

"Anthem boos a disgrace: I have no problem with fans booing at hockey games, but I have a problem explaining to people why fans in Montreal fail to show respect for the U.S. national anthem.

There were two responses to the anthem last night. When Sylvia Desgroseillers started singing, there were loud of cries of "Go Habs Go" that were later replaced by boos and a final chorus or two of "Go Habs Go."

There are a couple of points here. Making noise during an anthem shows an ignorance that you don't expect to find among supposedly sophisticated fans in a sophisticated city.

At the very least, you would expect the fans would show a little respect for Desgroseillers. She was singing the anthem for the first time at the Bell Centre and she handled it with far more grace than the boorish crowd."

Some Montreal fans need to grow up and show respect to the US anthem. I've never heard about US fans booing the Canadian anthem. Booing a country's anthem shows a total lack of class. I know it's not all fans, but it's obviously a significant number if it's loud enough for people to really take notice and write about it in the paper.

Granted, I am sure it happens and I just hear about this because I follow the Habs. I am ashamed of any US fans who boo the Canadian or any other anthem.

I pose this question to the Montreal fans booing the US Anthem: How do you think it makes Komisarek and Higgins feel?

Didn't listened to it. I switched to TSN and the Philly singer (btw, much nicer girl than Sylvie) sang the God bless america song along with a '30s singer on the big screen. That was pretty nice and patriotic. Sadly it didn't help the Flyers lol

Actually, it all started a couple of years ago....one day during the war in Afghanistan, the US accidentally killed 4 canadian soldiers...that night, during a Detroit-Toronto basketball game...they booed our anthem....in response (not agreeing with this in any way), Montrealers booed their anthem during the boston-montreal series....

I personally have never booed their anthem, and choose to tone-defedly sing both....

Can't we all just get along? :)

Unfortunatley these ignorant fans make the rest of us look bad. Same thing happens all over Canada. Just look at the World Jr Championships out in Vancouver. They booed the American team mercilessly.

This isn't just a Montreal problem, its Canada wide. I think it must be an inferiority complex or something?

I agree also.

There seems to be an anti-American prejudice in Canada. In some ways it's understandable, given the history of the US and some of its socio-political actions.

Nevertheless, to behave in the way that some people do - at the games for the sake of our topic doesn't help the situation.

In the case of booing at our hockey games identifies American citizens with their country. It makes the individual American out to be the villain responsible for his country's politics, etc.

Therefore our Mike Komisarek & Chris Higgins are made to feel unwelcome. I wonder if, in a few years, at UFA contract renewal time if they'll feel comfortable staying in this country in which some citizens feel free to indirectly boo them to their faces.

I would hope that they have the sense to know that likely this is the same group who will boo their own wounded (ie. players that are struggling) and will be able to dismiss it as such.

We'll see.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Yeah I don't know how much it affects players. I think they understand that Habs fans love them (Higgins and Komisarek) and that its only a political thing, nothing against them.

Then again Americans can be extremely patriotic and it might always be in the back of their minds?

The world is full of jackasses who don't have a clue. Unfortunately because of the actions of a few many get painted with the same brush. To those who booed, shame on them, they are lower than a snakes belly and have about as much class as Mike Tyson.

I agree to everyone. Also, I am discusted by Montreal fans calling for Zedniks head because of one bad year. Completely pisses me off, the guy has a bad year after leading the team through playoffs...he was with us for it all...and now he deserves to get dumped? Absolutely mind boggling. You dont just dump a consistant 30 goal scorer. look at other teams rosters at their star players and even you will see in their career stats that they have the odd bad year.

GIVE HIM ANOTHER CHANCE GUYS!! HE'S A PROVEN SCORER!

I agree totally with the anthem thing. Our best two up and comers are americans. How do they feel? Will they remember things like that when they have a chance to leave as free agents? How can you blame them? I wish I could apoligize for all habs fans. Sometimes the behaviour of some(very few) montreal idiots embarrass me for being a Habs fan.

I thought that the booing was much more subdued as compared to 2004. During Game 3, I wasn't sure if it was actual booing or just the crowd murmur during the anthem. I do find it very troublesome that a small minority of people would boo the anthem, either because of political differences with the particular nation or because another group of idiots lowered themselves to that level a night before. Tit-for-tat is a great way to respond to a slight by a group of people that you've never met, and will probably never meet.

As has been mentioned before, booing the anthem not only disrespects the US as a country, but it also disrespects a couple of members of the team that you shelled out pretty good money for tickets to watch and support. Let's just remember the fact that the vast majority of people did act with respect and integrity.

To be honest, i dont see a point in doing the anthems anymore. Half the time the singer performs the anthem in a way that is rather disrespectful, very few anthem singers actually sing it the way it is supposed to be sung anymore.

The people yelling "GO HABS GO" during the anthem probably shouldn't be, but all of that energy that is built up in the pre-game show that the Habs put on is not easily extinguished. Not to completely defend this, because i wouldn't, but it is somewhat understandable, no?

The people that boo the anthem are simply tools.

To be honest, i dont see a point in doing the anthems anymore. Half the time the singer performs the anthem in a way that is rather disrespectful, very few anthem singers actually sing it the way it is supposed to be sung anymore.

The people yelling "GO HABS GO" during the anthem probably shouldn't be, but all of that energy that is built up in the pre-game show that the Habs put on is not easily extinguished. Not to completely defend this, because i wouldn't, but it is somewhat understandable, no?

The people that boo the anthem are simply tools.

Good point - why do we even sing anthems anymore? The Habs are a multi-cultural group. They may live in Montreal, but they are from places like Finland, France, Switzerland, Czech, Slovakia, etc...

OK - the anthems are for the fans, right? As a tool to build up a feelings of a rivalry? What happens when Ottawa plays Montreal - should we have a Montreal city anthem and an Ottawa city anthem?

I gotta say, I really don't see the point of the anthems at sporting events. If anyone's got a good reason why they should be there, I'd love to hear it.

I'll probably regret opening this can of worms, but if one abhors the actions of a particular state, couldn't burning a flag or sitting through or even booing an anthem be regarded as freedom of expression, equal but opposite to cheering, chanting or flag-waving?

I'll probably regret opening this can of worms, but if one abhors the actions of a particular state, couldn't burning a flag or sitting through or even booing an anthem be regarded as freedom of expression, equal but opposite to cheering, chanting or flag-waving?

That doesn't make it right or OK to do.

That doesn't make it right or OK to do.

Why not?

I remember having the worst of times on ESPN eons ago trying to explain this simple fact: the amount of feelings Americans put in their national anthem, flag and other patriotic symbols isn't shared worldwide.

Just to be clear: I'm not talking about the US anthem or the US flag, I'm talking about anthems and flags in general. Not everyone over the world give it as much importance as Americans do.

Look at it from someone living in Quebec. We've got TWO flags in our face all the time: the Canadian flag and the Quebec flag. To most people, flags probably are just symbols of Governments, of bureaucratic institutions. They dont hold all those abstract values Americans tend to associate with their flags, like freedom, independance, opportunity and etc. Same goes for National anthems. Its not a matter of disrespect, its a matter of not giving the same symbolic value.

If you want to find something of equivalent symbolic value in Quebec, you would most likely have to look toward language. Someone from Quebec usually dont get riled up if you make fun of his flag. Make fun of his language though and you'll see them get all up in arms.

Its basically the same type of differences that caused the whole Mahomet caricatures scandal. Difference of attributed value to symbols. Its not a matter of content (the US anthem), its a matter of container (an anthem).

Its like you had a friend, who isn't really a rabid Habs fan and who decides to cheer for the Leafs when you watch hockey. To you its high treason because you put so much value in the Habs and consequently hate the Leafs, but to him its just a sport and he likes the blue jerseys.

I'm not trying to defend anyone here. I'm not passing any ethical judgement. I'm just explaining how you have to keep things relative. One should'nt expect everyone else to value the same things with the same passion. That's just unrealistic ethnocentrism.

Edited by KoZed

People do and say a lot of things I don't agree with, but I'd never want to try to censor them.

If the people want to boo it shows their lack of respect for the american anthem and what it stands for, and thats their right.

Someone mentioned earlier about booing at the WJC in Vancouver? Why do you have a problem with this? Booing is part of every major sport, it shows passion, and I for one think it's great.

Bar

I will agree booing an anthem is an unsophisticated form of political expression but we are talking about hockey fans for chrissakes, and once they get into the arena and are all pumped up, about the only expressive modes they have available are "cheer" and "boo"...

Anyway I repeat there should not be national anthems before games -- politics have no place in hockey

IAnyway I repeat there should not be national anthems before games -- politics have no place in hockey

Absolutley could not agree with this more. And if there has to be an anthem played. It should be the anthem of the country the event is taking place in.

Here in Europe the anthems are only for the games of the National Teams.

I don't understand why in the american/canadian professional legues you sing the anthems before every game, every day.

I'm sorry but this is my opinion