Zednik Ideas

For sure don't buy him out, but trade him! We have no room left for him on a top line, and he's no 3rd liner.

Id only trade him if it makes the team better. Lang would only be a linear move to me.... but what do I know?..... :hlogo:

Zednik for Lang straight-up is a no-brainer. No, Lang isn't the perfect fit and yes, he's overpaid but he can put up huge numbers and he'd be great between Kovalev and Kostitsyn/Higgins. Not to mention that he's played with Kovalev in the past. He'd definitely be a great addition to our roster and he'd only take up a roster spot (and the cap space) for 1 or 2 more years which will make room for a developing prospect. Personally, I think Plekanec will have hit his potential as a bonafide second line C by the time Lang retires.

We need to stay away from guys like Datsyuk. Sure, he's flashy, and scores highlight reel goals from time to time, but that guy is never there when it counts, and has no consistency. He might be an upgrade over Ribeiro offensively, but many of the things we hate about Ribeiro can also be said about Datsyuk. Besides, the guy already had a huge head last summer when he demanded superstar money even though he had only played 2 decent seasons.

I'm not sure I would trade for an Robert Lang, but I'd definitely take him before Datsyuk, especially considering he's had success playing with Kovalev in the past. Either way, we can do much better... otherwise we'll be better investing our money elsewhere.

Ribeiro doesn't even deserve to be talked about in the same month as Datsyuk.

Datsyuk has skill, finnish, passing, he makes Ribeiro look like a bantam, or maybe that's Ribeiro's hulking 140lb frame.

Ok Well me and some friend of mine thing that zednik will be bought out or traded on draft day.

What do you guys think will happen with zednik, stay, leave,bought out, and traded? for what or where?

I don't think zednik will be bought out. Gainey won't want that hit against his cap

I thought buying players out was a one time thing only. Unless you mean they'll just release him, I'm sure they could find some kind of return for him though.

Not its not a one time thing. It was a one time thing to buy them out and not have it count against the cap.

You are allowed to buy guys out now, but its counts against your salary cap.

By adding Lang we solve some problems but get some more.

What will happen to Ribs?

When Zednik is gone who are they going to use as bait to fill the wing on the first line?

When Zednik is gone who are they going to use as bait to fill the wing on the first line?

1. Who cares? Let the bum walk.

2. We have lots of winger, we don't need bait for another one. Higgins, Kovalev, Ryder, Perezhogin, and Kostitsyn are our top wingers for the foreseeable future.

By adding Lang we solve some problems but get some more.

aebischer is our only good bait.

we could use another right handed winger

We don't need Robert Lang... Detroit can keep him and his package (financial and performance).

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I'm not quite sure what the cap hit is when a contract is bought out in the NHL. There hasn't really been any signing bonuses in this league, as they were mainly designed to circumvent the caps in the other pro leagues. I know last year, they were given a percentage off the yearly average of the contract, as well as the contract not effecting the cap.

"Contracts can be bought out for two-thirds of the remaining value for players over the age of 26, and one-third of the remaining value for players under 26."

Presumably, these would be the amounts that count against the cap.

We don't need Robert Lang... Detroit can keep him and his package (financial and performance).

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I have a small feeling that you do not like Lang. :)

When he was younger he was excellent. Now it would be a financial gamble only if Montreal did make a Lang for Zed trade. I am nuetral about it. Lang can put the numbers up which Montreal desperately needed when Koivu went down with an injury.

I'd say Robert Lang is a risk. A Bonk-type of risk.

And there's a few things that I have been thinking about...

After the olympics the Habs had one of the best records in the NHL and Carolina Hurricanes management said that Montreal was a tought nut to crack.

With that said I think Montreal could be a better team than many thinks. No major changes required.

But with the departure of Jose Theodore there should be money to make some improvements. Jan Bulis will probably be gone along with some others.

Plekanec and Higgins are have both proven themselves. Perezhogin can do more and Kostitsyn will se more action. Latendresse had a great camp and could be ready.

David Aebischer market value should be sky high since there's a lack good goalies out there. But that could change fast with a lot of promising young guys comming up.

I looked at the current team and if I could pick one spot to improve then it would be at left wing.

A tough scoring left wing. Simon Gagne would be perfect but I doubt the Flyers would let him go for all the gold in the world. But someone like him.

Plekanec and Higgins are have both proven themselves. Perezhogin can do more and Kostitsyn will se more action. Latendresse had a great camp and could be ready.

David Aebischer market value should be sky high since there's a lack good goalies out there. But that could change fast with a lot of promising young guys comming up.

Some Excellent arguements here. I too think Plekanec and Higgins are going to be a much larger part of Montreal moving forward than importing a free agent. Perezhogin is FAST and needs to be on the second line with Kovalev. (Plek at Centre?)

Latendresse should not be brought up to the big club to stay unless he can get ice time. Too often promising guys are brought up and just sit. He has to play!

Aebischer has value, is a very good goalie, but is not championship calibre. I watched him in a Colorado (NHL Center Ice) many times having a Tough night where he could not stop a beach ball. Too much inconsistancy in my opinion. Where he has value is to a club Desperate for goaltending or need of a Veteran goalie that has some skills they can work around. A very defensive club would do well with him as there would not be too much pressure for him to make 50 saves a night.

Would Brenden Morrow be a good substitute?

Morrow - Koivu - Ryder

Higgins - Ribeiro - Kovalev

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Perezhogin

Murray - Bonk - Begin