Elias To Test Free Agent Market

les_glorieux

Thats cool. But I doubt that he would sign with the Habs or if wed have enough to sign him and get other players that we need.

:hlogo:

elias is worth every penny invested

he would fit that 1st line left wing spot and he would bring stanley cup experience.

15M for 3 years sounds nice

Habs have the cap room... I mean, Theo's gone now! ;)

I'm sure Elias is capable of getting top money... somewhere from $6-$7M. Then again, w/ Kovy signed for much less than that. Still, Elias is in his prime and will probably make more than Kovy.

Being that he is one of my favorite players, I'm really hoping that the Habs can snag him.

Elias would be a great addition - age, skill - all very nice fit - plus, with Jim Rutherford's recent endorsement of the Habs ...

well - i'm certain that a lot of teams are considering the prospect of Elias on their club - it's nice that we have the cap room to at least consider him in the bleu, blanc, rouge

Elias won't sign with the Habs, don't hold your breath people.

Elias is just doing this to extort Lou Lamoriello in order to get the big bucks. Elias knows people will offer him the max salary available and from there it's a question of who will he choose to sign with (which will most likely be the Devils).

My guess is Jersey will sign him around 6.5-7 million a season.

Elias won't sign with the Habs, don't hold your breath people.

Elias is just doing this to extort Lou Lamoriello in order to get the big bucks. Elias knows people will offer him the max salary available and from there it's a question of who will he choose to sign with (which will most likely be the Devils).

My guess is Jersey will sign him around 6.5-7 million a season.

Lamoriello doesn't go down to those tactics though. You either sign for the price Lou wants or you're gone. It's the same reason the defending Norris champ didn't sign there. Lou didn't like the price tag so he let him go.

Lou doesn't play those games but he might have too in this case. Compare the Devils before and after Elias. The Devils probably wouldn't have made the playoffs without him.

Yeah, true but Lou is smart enough to find other ways to succeed. If Elias wants to play hardball, I think it'd be easy for Lou to say screw off and go find a couple of secondary scoring guys. Basically follow the Buffalo format. Have 3 good lines that can all hurt you instead of one monster line and then declining after that. I think most teams will be following that, it's worked really well for Buffalo and Anaheim.

Have 3 good lines that can all hurt you instead of one monster line and then declining after that. I think most teams will be following that, it's worked really well for Buffalo and Anaheim.

And Carolina too, I would say...

But the Devils really need Elias. Without him they're in big trouble next season unless they sign a superstar to replace them. They went from somehting like 10th to 3rd in the East in not much more then half the season when Elias returned. He did to New Jersey what Joe Thornotn did to San Jose - and he's winning the Hart!

Lamiorello will be looking to redeem himself...

to the guy saying that he'll find secondary scorers, consider this: after niedermayer left, he used that cap space to sign three "secondary" defensemen. Makes sense, 3 for 1, right? Not really. Those three were Richard Matvichuk, Dan McGillis and Malakhov, signed to incredibly high contracts (3.5M for Vladdy, 2M for McGillis). Malakhov quickly retired after the Devils basically begged him to, McGillis was dumped to the minors and Matvichuk was constantly booed throughout the year by Devils fans as other forwards blew by him.

Trust me, he wont make the same mistake. Elias will be back as a Devil. Lou's smart enough to figure out a way.

I hear that he wants 8 million a season for 3 years. Thats alot to pay a guy when Selanne and another secondary guy could bolster us all over.

:hlogo:

Lamiorello will be looking to redeem himself...

to the guy saying that he'll find secondary scorers, consider this: after niedermayer left, he used that cap space to sign three "secondary" defensemen. Makes sense, 3 for 1, right? Not really. Those three were Richard Matvichuk, Dan McGillis and Malakhov, signed to incredibly high contracts (3.5M for Vladdy, 2M for McGillis). Malakhov quickly retired after the Devils basically begged him to, McGillis was dumped to the minors and Matvichuk was constantly booed throughout the year by Devils fans as other forwards blew by him.

Trust me, he wont make the same mistake. Elias will be back as a Devil. Lou's smart enough to figure out a way.

Defensemen are totally different in the new NHL though. Defense still works the same way. Have one top guy, a couple good defensive guys and a couple good offensive guys with 1 filler. Most teams are working this way, just look at Edmonton or Anaheim. Forwards work an entirely different way now, you need to roll 4 lines that can all hurt you. And with some of the forwards out there this off-season, Lou can save money if Elias wants to break the bank (which the Devils can't even afford to do) by going after guys like Selanne, Connolly, Dvorak, Parrish or Friesen.

Friesen was with the Devils for several years, they dumped him for salary purposes..but anyways, the point is that the Devils saw what can go wrong with letting a star walk in favour of lesser talents. And their first choice obviously will be locking up Elias.

Is it too early for Montreal to go for a top $$$ forward thinking the cup is in sight?

There are many young guys on the team that need to season one more year. Sure I would love to see him on Montreal but he is going to get top dollar for his skills. I don't count out the Rangers or some of the western teams that may show him the money. Montreal has a hole at centre and defense. All the cap room on one offensive player would not cut it unless they could part out players that have no future with the team. I'm thinking more on the line of Defense for the Habs instead of an allstar like Elias.

(Edited me bad grammar)

Edited by InsaneAVSfan