KoZed

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:hlogo:

Great draft by the Habs.

I think Fischer, White, Maxwell and Carle all could have been drafted in the first round.

Montreal claimed them.

Yes, indeed a good job by Bob & the Gang. I am especially excited to see how Fischer does next year at Minnesota (?). I am also extatic about out pick of Maxwell. Awsome!

Of course, I liked what I heard thus far about Maxwell, and Carle... but it's White that sticks out in my opinion.

The guy played for the Calgary Hitmen, a tenacious team to my understanding, which produces a lot of gritty guys. White sounds like a player who'll become a Begin/Murray type of player, my favorite kind of players :D.

I liked the selections of Maxwell, White, Fischer (although I think he was a bit of a project for a first round pick) and Carle. There's a lot of question marks around Maxwell and Carle especially though, both have consistency issues that hopefully can be ironed out.

White also has good offensive potential which is nice to hear. Maxwell is a great 2nd/3rd liner. He's drawing comparisons to John Madden. He's a a hustling defensive center with top-notch playmaking skills and vision. He can even play on the PP.

Okay, I ask everyone to take this with a grain of salt but:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=261296

It speaks of Fischer being an "idiot" and a "running joke" to all the scouts that interviewed him. From everything I heard of him, even from ex-teammates and their parents, Fischer is a great kid on the ice and in the dressing room. Maybe he just had a bad approach to the interviews. Also, the Habs have been following this kid very closely for a while so if he's such a big idiot then we would have noticed it by now. I still love this pick.

I just remembered Blake Geoffrion, I think the grandson of Bernie..Montreal passed over him twice in the 2nd round, he went to Nashville. What a nice story it would have been if he had been drafted by the Habs!

I just remembered Blake Geoffrion, I think the grandson of Bernie..Montreal passed over him twice in the 2nd round, he went to Nashville. What a nice story it would have been if he had been drafted by the Habs!

Yes, I was drooling over him for almost the whole draft. It was a shame we didn't get him, that would have been four generations! :blink:

Maxwell is a great 2nd/3rd liner. He's drawing comparisons to John Madden. He's a a hustling defensive center with top-notch playmaking skills and vision. He can even play on the PP.

Scouting Report: In his second WHL campaign, Maxwell recorded 60 points in 69 games for the Ice. He then tied Ryan Russell for the team lead with eight points in six postseason games... can do a little bit of everything, but doesn't do it consistently enough to be considered one of the top prospects available in 2006... skates very well and understands the game with or without the puck... must take the next step with Kootenay in order to cement his prospect status... needs to get physically stronger so as to continue playing a rugged style in the pros...

Impact: If Maxwell can further develop the offensive end of his game, the Canadians will have that potential second-line center that they lack in their system. That's a big if, but in the second round a lot of the so-called 'sure-thing' players are gone.

From NHL Central Scouting - Has quick acceleration with strong stride and good overall speed...plays the point on the power play where he has picked up a lot of points...makes good decisions with the puck and moves it quickly and is smart...deft puckhandler who handles puck well through congested areas.

From ISS - He needs tremendous work on his defensive game and has to distribute the puck better and more often. Also needs to work on his consistency. At the 2006 CHL Prospects game he was very impressive in the skills testing and showed great hands. We really like his speed and offensive skill set. He is on the verge of becoming a prolific scorer and time will tell if he will evolve into the scoring machine many predicted.

From TSN - Kootenay's 1st round pick, 2nd overall, in 2003 bantam draft...Tied for team lead in playoff points (3-5) in 6 games...Played for Team Pacific at 2005 U-17...Played for Canada at 2005 U-18 Jr. World Cup and won gold...Also represented Canada at 2006 U-18 and was second on team in points...Won the 60' and 150' dash in the skills competition at prospects game.

Of course, I liked what I heard thus far about Maxwell, and Carle... but it's White that sticks out in my opinion.

The guy played for the Calgary Hitmen, a tenacious team to my understanding, which produces a lot of gritty guys. White sounds like a player who'll become a Begin/Murray type of player, my favorite kind of players :D .

Ryan White, C, Calgary

Born: 3/17/88 Ht: 6-0 Wt: 204 Shoots: R

From NHL Central Scouting - Very good skater with tremendous balance and is hard to knock off the puck...displays good agility in tight quarters...has a heavy wrist shot and has a good feel for the game moving the puck well with his linemates for give and go plays...willing to pay price to scores goals and block shots...finishes checks with authority, sticks up for teammates.

From ISS: He throws his body around recklessly and competes hard every shift. White rarely scores the highlight reel goal but this 5'11 forward always gets the job done. He is a relentless and tireless worker who battles hard every night. He always seems to find the open man, make the big defensive play and is excellent in the face-off circle. His positive work ethic has a great influence on his teammates.

From TSN: Played midget hockey for the Brandon Wheat Kings AAA team (34-55,140 PIMS in 63 games)...drafted in the 4th round 69th overall by the Hitmen in the 2003 bantam draft...played for Team Orr at CHL prospects game and scored a goal and had 4 PIMS...played at 2005 U-17 tournament for Team West-tied for second on team and tourney in scoring (2-9) AND led the tournament in assists (Jonathon Toews led team and tournament with 12 points)...played on line last year with Andrew Ladd and Ryan Getzlaf.

Hmm, I tried your link, but all I got was "Running database administration."

Works for me. :?-

Impact: If Maxwell can further develop the offensive end of his game, the Canadians will have that potential second-line center that they lack in their system. That's a big if, but in the second round a lot of the so-called 'sure-thing' players are gone.

From ISS - He needs tremendous work on his defensive game

[/size][/font]

The scouing reports contradict eachother. I'm sure that Maxwell is known as a two-way forward with good playmaking skills. Never heard anywhere that he needs to work on his defence. The 2 major knocks on him are his strength and consistency.

The scouing reports contradict eachother. I'm sure that Maxwell is known as a two-way forward with good playmaking skills. Never heard anywhere that he needs to work on his defence. The 2 major knocks on him are his strength and consistency.

Those contradictions basically means that neither his offensive nor defensive games are polished enough to be considered "adequate" by NHL standards; or by that particular player's potential standards.

Simply put: Maxwell is alright offensively and defensively; but needs work in both areas. Let's face it, prospects are drafted based on about 5 factors: talent/upside, athletic abilities, NHL-readiness, character intangibles and performances in the season leading up to the draft.

Maxwell seems to have the talent & athletic abilities down. As a matter of fact, he won some skills competitions. And he was very high on the earliest scouting reports so its not like he flew under the radar. So the three other factors must lack quite significantly for him to drop from a mid-1st rounder to a 50th overall 2nd rounder.

No biggie though. The last 3 factors are things that can be improved upon with time and tutoring.

All in all, this was a pretty decent draft for Montreal.

Much like last year, they were able to pick up someone in the second round / third round who was supposed to have gone in the first. Last year it was Latendresse...this year, both Ben Maxwell and Ryan White were pegged to have gone in the 1st round in several mock drafts.

The first pick was again a bit of a controversial one, nowhere near to the Price one though. But definitely a bit unexpected.

According to Timmins and this RDS article, Maxwell is an offensive player. He just lacks in consistency.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/207120.html

I'm so pumped up with our draft. Just even ignoring all the other picks, getting that huge bugger Chris Stewart and then SOMEHOW getting Nigel Williams at 51. Oh man, that made my day. I can't believe we got him there.

I'm so pumped up with our draft. Just even ignoring all the other picks, getting that huge bugger Chris Stewart and then SOMEHOW getting Nigel Williams at 51. Oh man, that made my day. I can't believe we got him there.

Yeah, looks like a strong draft for Colorado.

Here's what Allan Muir from SI.com thinks of our draft:

Montreal Canadiens

Surprised many observers by taking defenseman David Fischer so early (20th), but the Habs needed to restock on the blueline. He's a smooth skater, and a rare right-handed shot. He'll probably be in college at least two years before Montreal gets a look at him. Ryan White (66th) was a great value pick in the third round. Grade: C+

bleah :puke:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=cnns...cnnsi&type=lgns