2006 NHL Entry Draft Thread

KoZed

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance Nigel Williams still available? we pick right after L.A... which is the next team to select

Habs selects a Center from WHL..

49 MTL BEN MAXWELL 3/30/1988 North Vancouver, BC CA 6' 0.5" 177 WHL KOOTENAY

Any chance Nigel Williams still available? we pick right after L.A... which is the next team to select

Habs selects a Center from WHL..

49 MTL BEN MAXWELL 3/30/1988 North Vancouver, BC CA 6' 0.5" 177 WHL KOOTENAY

Colorado just took him.

20 Ben Maxwell, C, Kootenay (WHL) -- 6-1, 177 L

In his second WHL campaign, Maxwell recorded 60 points in 69 games for the Ice. He then tied Ryan Russell for the team lead with eight points in six postseason games... can do a little bit of everything, but doesn't do it consistently enough to be considered one of the top prospects available in 2006... skates very well and understands the game with or without the puck... must take the next step with Kootenay in order to cement his prospect status... needs to get physically stronger so as to continue playing a rugged style in the pros...

we'll pick again soon at 53

53 MTL

(from S.J) MATHIEU CARLE 9/30/1987 Gatineau, QC CA 6' 0" 206 QMJHL ACADIE-BATHURST

Something was wrong with Nigel Williams I guess.. BIG drop

Edited by sakiqc

HF:

Carle is a strong offensive presence from the blue line, with good skating and strong puck-handling ability. He can tend to get a little too focused on his offensive game, though, and will occasionally neglect his defensive responsibilities. When he does focus on his own end, he is willing to drop in front of shots, and is good positionally. However, that is when he does. Consistency and focus is an issue with Carle’s play. He has good size, and is willing to get his nose dirty from time to time, but will have to use his size more effectively, and more regularly, in order to intimidate the opposition.

Niiiiiice draft for Montreal so far.

At some point before the last season, Maxwell was in the top 5 N-A prospects. He's got all the tools, just need to put it all together.

Carle was in the shadow of Vishnevsky in the QMJHL this season, but he's got a very good offensive upside. RedLine Report had him as one of the top 10 D-men available in this draft:

Mathieu Carle is an enigma in that he has as much offensive skill as any defender in this draft, but we don't know if he wants to be a player bad enough. He's got fabulous passing skills: crisp, accurate breakouts and creative touch passes through traffic. Super soft hands and great vision make him one of the best PP quarterbacks in this year's group. Yet Carle has never shown the will to get himself into top physical condition, and lugs around a soft, paunchy body that exacerbates his mediocre footwork and leads to mistakes and a lack of stamina. If he'd ever get his head on straight and decide to take the game seriously, he could be a real player. But that's a big IF.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/colu...efensemen_x.htm

COME ON MOFOS, GET THIS DRAFT ROLLING FASTER!

I tried to watch it, but I couldnt. Missed Mtl's trade at 16 but saw their pick at 20th and then went back to concentrating on the Als stomping Hamilton.

Well shortcat1 will be sad, Washington just picked Bouchard. :P

shortcat1 is disappointed... but the sun will rise tomorrow as it did today.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

YES!!! I AM ECSTATIC!!!

Ben Maxwell in the 2nd round is a steal! I love this guy!

Mathieu Carle is a solid 2nd pairing defenceman picked up with that 53rd pick overall via San Jose.

Ryan White wasn't expected to be down there in the 3rd round.

I don't know anything about the 2 Euros but what I do know is that we picked up 2 great defenceman and 2 great forwards last night.

but the sun will rise tomorrow as it did today.

*jinx*

FYI the Habs also selected:

Russian defenseman Pavel Valentenko. The 6-foot-2, 202-pound native of Moscow is a strong, physical defenseman with a booming shot. Valentenko played a dozen games with Neftekamsk of Russia’s first division.

Cameron Cepek of the WHL’s Portland Winter Hawks at 199th overall. Cepek, who missed the majority of the 2005-06 season with a broken wrist, still managed to put up 10 points in 21 games. Another d-man.