I Would Like Bob To Look At...

habsfan88

Shannahan and Samsonov. Both available, both still offensive..

Shannahan is getting older, 37, but he has just put up his best offensive year with 40 goals, 41 assists for 81 pts in 82 games. Another thing to take note of Shanny is that he played the full 82 game schedule, proving that at aged 37 he is still ready to play hockey.

Samsonov is incredibly speedy and creative with the puck, and obviously scouts had seen something in him as he was drafted 8th overall. He is still young, and he can put the puck in the net, and his speed is proving worthy in the new NHL.

Samsonov and Shannahan are both wingers and I know Montreal has depth in that position, but fellow Habs fans hear me on this - these guys can help our team that is snake-bitten offensively.

Although I still like Zednik, I would accept him being traded if need be.

P.S - I have read that Simon Gagne has rejected Philidelphia's offer...If Gagne does not re-sign in Philly, imagine him in a Habs uniform! :o You can read this also (From the fourth period.)

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi060704.html

Shannahan and Samsonov. Both available, both still offensive..

Shannahan is getting older, 37, but he has just put up his best offensive year with 40 goals, 41 assists for 81 pts in 82 games. Another thing to take note of Shanny is that he played the full 82 game schedule, proving that at aged 37 he is still ready to play hockey.

Samsonov is incredibly speedy and creative with the puck, and obviously scouts had seen something in him as he was drafted 8th overall. He is still young, and he can put the puck in the net, and his speed is proving worthy in the new NHL.

Samsonov and Shannahan are both wingers and I know Montreal has depth in that position, but fellow Habs fans hear me on this - these guys can help our team that is snake-bitten offensively.

Although I still like Zednik, I would accept him being traded if need be.

P.S - I have read that Simon Gagne has rejected Philidelphia's offer...If Gagne does not re-sign in Philly, imagine him in a Habs uniform! :o You can read this also (From the fourth period.)

According to Hadleyonsports.com, St.Louis is out of the running for Shannahan. If it's true....that leaves Boston, Habs and Detroit left. We'll wait and see.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi060704.html

according to Hadleyonsports.com...St.Loius is out of Shannahan sweepstakes. we'll see

I'd welcome either of Shanny and Samsonov to the team. I believe either would be a good fit for the Ribs-Kovalev line.

Here's hoping one of them wants to come to Montreal.

Encouraging news, if you want the Habs to get Shanahan, is that St. Louis has dropped out of the race apparently according to Hadleyonsports.com (Thanks to Kidrock for the news) and so that leaves us with Boston. But I just remembered, Shanahan did not have a great relationship with Lewis when he was the coach of the Red Wings...and to add to it, the Bruins have got to be closing in on the cap because of their recent signings.

Bring us Shanahan or Samsonov Bob!!

I think that Bastan would be the worse place for a great player like Shanny to end his playing days.

Bring Shanny here and the forum fantoms may find their way to the phone booth.

I really don't think that we'll see any of those players. we' have some young studs who are close to ready for some nhl action: kostitsyn needs to play in montreal. heck, he could play on the third line putting perezhogin along kovalev and ribeiro(if he's still around).

as much as I like shanahan, i don'T think he'll come in montreal.

one player I would love to see is jeff halpern...could be non-expensive, reliable and right handed..

if anything, we'll probably see changes via trades..we still haven't found our 2nd centerman but I guess ribeiro could do the job for a while.

How about Jeff Friesen?

I can't say much about Halpern I'm little in the dark about his skills,

but I like the Friesen plays, another Begin style player, and he's a UFA!!

How about Jeff Friesen?

I would've loved him 4-5 years ago...last year he sucked

I would've loved him 4-5 years ago...last year he sucked

was Halpern playing on a line with Ovechkin last year?

p.s. I know you are talking about Friesen on the quote

Edited by ehjay

I would like Gainey to look at these players, since he has already let a few pass by.

1. Danny Markov (PHX)

2. Jaroslav Spacek (EDM)

3. Jeff Halpern (WSH)

4. Michael Peca (NYI)

5. Sergei Samsonov (BOS)

I also hope the Zherdev for Souray/Perezhogin trade comes through as well.

I really couldn't care less about any of the names mentionned except Shanahan. He'd be the only one who'd fill a true need (LW) and add something we lack (size, toughness) couple with the intangibles of a long experience, having won Stanley Cups and having played against or with some of the best out there.

The rest... really unnecessary. Samsonov? We've already got two of those coming up the pipeline (Perezhogin and Kostitsyn). Why waste money and ice-time on something you've already got?

Markov? The always-injured D-man? Doesn't have much over our top 6 right now.

The rest is just not even worth mentionning. Its not because they are UFAs that they are worth a look. Its like buying stuff you dont eat just because its on sales at the grocery stores. A waste of time and money.

Habs only need 2 holes to fill: LW and depth checking W. For something else, Gainey will have to make a trade first.

I really couldn't care less about any of the names mentionned except Shanahan. He'd be the only one who'd fill a true need (LW) and add something we lack (size, toughness) couple with the intangibles of a long experience, having won Stanley Cups and having played against or with some of the best out there.

The rest... really unnecessary. Samsonov? We've already got two of those coming up the pipeline (Perezhogin and Kostitsyn). Why waste money and ice-time on something you've already got?

Markov? The always-injured D-man? Doesn't have much over our top 6 right now.

The rest is just not even worth mentionning. Its not because they are UFAs that they are worth a look. Its like buying stuff you dont eat just because its on sales at the grocery stores. A waste of time and money.

Habs only need 2 holes to fill: LW and depth checking W. For something else, Gainey will have to make a trade first.

Im scared that Perezhogin and Kostitsyn are more like 2 Marcel Hossas (at least Perezhogin who got a big shot last season) more than 2 Samsonovs so I would love signing Samsonov.

Im scared that Perezhogin and Kostitsyn are more like 2 Marcel Hossas (at least Perezhogin who got a big shot last season) more than 2 Samsonovs so I would love signing Samsonov.

They are no Marcel Hossas. These guys aren't lazy like Hossa and have good work ethics. Kosty will do whatever his coach tells him to do. Both have clear 1st line potential and it will be a huge shock if they can't become good 2nd liners atleast. Kostitsyn has more talent than Perezhogin but I'm not sure if he is as agressive or about his defensive game. I'm pretty sure he's solid though. I'm just excited to see this kid play.

Latest news on Shanahan:

General manager Ken Holland hopes to hear from Brendan Shanahan 's agent today or Thursday. Shanahan, a free-agent forward, is attracting interest from St. Louis, Boston, the Rangers, Montreal and Toronto.

The Wings are offering Shanahan a slight raise above the $2.18 million he made last season.

Contract demands:

http://www.hadleyonsports.com/getReport_af...19&size=595

"To date, I've learned that three teams have offered Shanahan a deal around $4 million for the upcoming campaign. Ottawa has offered a three-year deal... the longest term, while Boston was the first team to hit around the $4 million mark. "

The writer also claims that the Blues have dropped out of the running. He also claims that Shanahan's asking price is 5.5 million per year.

Peca would make a very solid 2nd line centre. He may not be big, but he's another who plays huge and he adds an offensive dimension which is more than decent. Furthermore, he's a natural leader and would bring more accountability to the dressing room. Finally, he'd never in a million years put up with Ribeiro's schtick and would probably mount the little dork's head on a pike outside the Bell Centre as a warning to anyone about being an ass in Montreal.

Peca would make a very solid 2nd line centre. He may not be big, but he's another who plays huge and he adds an offensive dimension which is more than decent. Furthermore, he's a natural leader and would bring more accountability to the dressing room. Finally, he'd never in a million years put up with Ribeiro's schtick and would probably mount the little dork's head on a pike outside the Bell Centre as a warning to anyone about being an ass in Montreal.

OMG ITS COLIN :D :D :D :D

Shanny, Carter and Peca are the only guys I don't mind if Bob gets at a REASONABLE price. Everyone can go fly a kyte.

OMG ITS COLIN :D :D :D :D

Shanny, Carter and Peca are the only guys I don't mind if Bob gets at a REASONABLE price. Everyone can go fly a kyte.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that Carter would be a good fit for my beloved Habs.

Thanks Tony.

Hahaha, classic.

I believe it was you who was one of the first to come up with the Arnott coming to Montreal bit wayyyy back when the Habs were still fighting for a playoff spot. :)

Peca=Arnott, just about anyways, I'm hoping you haven't jinxed it this time too.

Come back to the HWL dude, Dallas Sux, he won't stop asking me for Lecavalier.

Arnott had the advantage of being as good on the wing as at center, of being 6-4 and 220 and of putting a 76-points season last year.

Peca is 5-11 195 and put up 23 pts in 71 games last year. He's got leadership, he hits hard and is a great defensive forward. But you know who else is 5-11 195, got 23 pts last year, has leadership, hits hard and is good defensively? Steve Begin. That's what Peca has become: a Begin-type of guy.

For sure, I'd love having another Begin in the lineup. Just not for almost 4M$/season and not on the second line in an offensive role.

Peca was a disapointement in the regulard season in EDM,...if they had missed the play-off as they almost did,...his season would have been worst than the one Bonk got here.

I'll rather have Gainey keep the low priced Ribeiro and used the money saved to accomodate an offensive player with pedigree that will help us getting more GOALS which remain the thing we need most.

Being tought is no substitute for getting the goals a team need in the NewNHL.....Calgary has worried to much about it last year and ended-up lacking scoring ability and missed the play-offs cause of it......they have learned and they quickly traded for Tangay even before the UFA market had openned.

Peca might not be an irrationnal choice for a team already loaded in scoring ability like Ottawa....but it is for ours.