Need Tech Guy!

JLP

Have a Windows 2000 Pro desktop with two HDD, would not boot (not even to Bios) so took to a shop they replaced the video card it worked for a few days, but --- Now get a message "Alert Previous Fan Failure strike the F1 key to continue..." when booting and the thing runs reeeeaaaal slow and shows near 100% CPU use even with few apps running.

Took to shop they said I need to reinstall my OS. Schlepped it home in disgust.

Options:

1. Backup all the data on my C Drive and reinstall W2000 there

2. Get new HDD, install OS there, make it the boot drive and then use present two HDD for data

3. Throw comp out the window

4. Your brilliant suggestion ______ ???

My considerations are time and simpliity and money

Could is be other hardware beside the videocard? I dont know... processor overheating? Power supply fuggin' up? If it worked with a new vid card but crapped out after a few days, it might be something like that.

I thought that might be possible, but the shop said they checked the hardware and instead concluded it was a corrupted software/OS problem. How could I confirm this?

yeah you could also do that... back up, format, windows xp install.

If you still get troubles after that, it's definitely not software-related.

If he wants to REALLY play it safe, buy a new computer (they all come with XP anyway) and then transfer all his old files from his old computer to his new one since XP allows you to do that during setup. Not sure what kind of hookup you need to do that though since I've never tried.

Have a Windows 2000 Pro desktop with two HDD, would not boot (not even to Bios) so took to a shop they replaced the video card it worked for a few days, but --- Now get a message "Alert Previous Fan Failure strike the F1 key to continue..." when booting and the thing runs reeeeaaaal slow and shows near 100% CPU use even with few apps running.

Took to shop they said I need to reinstall my OS. Schlepped it home in disgust.

Options:

1. Backup all the data on my C Drive and reinstall W2000 there

2. Get new HDD, install OS there, make it the boot drive and then use present two HDD for data

3. Throw comp out the window

4. Your brilliant suggestion ______ ???

My considerations are time and simpliity and money

uhhhhh... uhhhhhhhhhhh...................... uh... mmmmmmm....... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............ mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................................................... I have no clue :wacko::blink::blink::blink::blink::wacko:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Buy a Mac.

No, no, no, no, noooooooooooooooo............... <_<

Buy a Dell! :):):)

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Re-install your Windows over the previous version. Sometimes (somewhat a rarity) that will clean up your problem. It also serves to fix other glitches that tend to build up in Windblows. This is kind of a last ditch effort at saving everything you've put together, but it can work. (Note the 'can'.)

Make note, though, if you keep running it with a fan error, it may cause multiple problems in your computer. I know they changed the video card (fan), but did they change the system fan? If that's not running up to spec, it might cause errors as well. In fact, there can be a great number of fans in a system and any one of them might have crapped out. I know you took it in, but it'd be just your luck that you scrap and reinstall everything only to find out that it was a different fan than the one they fixed.

Open the case yourself and just look at the fans and see if you can visually identify which fan has died. You need do nothing more than that and then take it in and tell them.

Good luck.

Re-install your Windows over the previous version. Sometimes (somewhat a rarity) that will clean up your problem. It also serves to fix other glitches that tend to build up in Windblows. This is kind of a last ditch effort at saving everything you've put together, but it can work. (Note the 'can'.)

Make note, though, if you keep running it with a fan error, it may cause multiple problems in your computer. I know they changed the video card (fan), but did they change the system fan? If that's not running up to spec, it might cause errors as well. In fact, there can be a great number of fans in a system and any one of them might have crapped out. I know you took it in, but it'd be just your luck that you scrap and reinstall everything only to find out that it was a different fan than the one they fixed.

Open the case yourself and just look at the fans and see if you can visually identify which fan has died. You need do nothing more than that and then take it in and tell them.

Good luck.

Thx, the shop and I have looked at the fans and seems they are all working, they think it's corruption of the OS/software -- so thinking of the reinstall then loading a leaner set of software it is a bit bloated right now. Was looking at possibility of putting in a brand new HDD, install W2K and boot from that new HDD? Then transfer over needed software and date from my two existing HDDs (which are almost full) and then keep them as data storage only. Is that an easier/safer/simpler solution you think?

Thx, the shop and I have looked at the fans and seems they are all working, they think it's corruption of the OS/software -- so thinking of the reinstall then loading a leaner set of software it is a bit bloated right now. Was looking at possibility of putting in a brand new HDD, install W2K and boot from that new HDD? Then transfer over needed software and date from my two existing HDDs (which are almost full) and then keep them as data storage only. Is that an easier/safer/simpler solution you think?

If that's a route you can do, then it's not a bad idea. I believe, if I remember correctly, that you can install a new W2K and have your system as a multiple boot system and not have any problems, though I can't confirm this. If it were me doing it, I'd just disconnect the old HD's and do the fresh installation on the new one, then slave the old to the new next time you start (make sure you change the physical settings on the drives themselves or you'll be in for all sorts of errors) so you can transfer everything you need.

Alternately, if you're concerned about the process at all, set up the new hard drive and then install all the programs you want, then take it to your computer shop and have them transfer over anything you need. The bonus about starting fresh is you don't have to deal with all the crap that you had on the old system.

Once you transfer everything over, I suggest a complete format of the original drives, then slave them to the new drive and voila, plenty of storage.

Alternately, if you have a little extra money, Skip the W2K and invest in XP Home or Pro. (Pro gives you more of the functionality that W2K had - I went from W2K to Pro and was pleased (or as pleased as you can get with Windblows) but bought a new computer with Home, and I'm happy enough with what I do.) XP is, all things considered, quite a stable system (I've frozen once in however many years I've had it).