Traverse Back On Waivers

JMMR

At worst they lose a player they don't need - if he clears then he's a veteran defenceman for the farm system you can afford to lose on recall waivers at some point. Rather lose him than a young prospect.....

Traverse does have a 2-way contract. He will not be added to the cap in the minors. Maybe getting Traverse made Gainey seem less desperate when making the deal for Niinimaa.

Traverse does have a 2-way contract. He will not be added to the cap in the minors. Maybe getting Traverse made Gainey seem less desperate when making the deal for Niinimaa.

I guess a guy is gotta do what he has to do. With the injuries on Montreal's "D" I can bet there was a little fear in the hearts of management. I should of known Traverse would have to accept a 2-way contract, shame on me!

Yes, I seem to recall saying to all the; "the sky is falling, we got Traverse" posting nonsense that it wouldn't surprise me if Gainey makes a move soon that makes us forget about Traverse.

Oh the sky is falling.

You know who you are.

Your lack in faith towards Gainey is unsettling!

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Yes, I seem to recall saying to all the; "the sky is falling, we got Traverse" posting nonsense that it wouldn't surprise me if Gainey makes a move soon that makes us forget about Traverse.

Oh the sky is falling.

You know who you are.

LOL. Exactly what I was saying.

Oh the sky is falling.

You know who you are.

OK, how does this help the team. I don't see any intellegent posts from anyone about how great this guy is, or he really makes a big difference to get Montreal to the playoffs. Easy to sit on a fence, harder to take a stand. Your faith in Gainey is a bit misguided as he is not perfect.

OK, how does this help the team. I don't see any intellegent posts from anyone about how great this guy is, or he really makes a big difference to get Montreal to the playoffs. Easy to sit on a fence, harder to take a stand. Your faith in Gainey is a bit misguided as he is not perfect.

C'mon now. At worst what Gainey did was a panic move. But still he got a (not quite so, sort of) reliable #7 defenceman. But, with Bouillon out and Whooley not working out, what do ya do?

The Niinimaa acquistion obviously materilaized after the Traverse pickup. However, I respect Gainey for doing everything within his power to help the team

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Gainey rarely if ever is known to make a move from a state of panic - totally out of character for a man as methodical as he is.....

He makes mistakes but this was a depth oriented move that gives a him a no risk callup if some else goes down with an injury. Big deal if they lose him on waivers? Nothing ventured = nothing gained.

6 pages on this guy (5 in the original and now this one.....) Hard to believe that much typing energy has been wasted on what amounts to a nothing piece in the puzzle - he's like one of the 5,000 pieces that make up the forest area in a 10,000 piece puzzle!!!!!!

Time to move on to what really counts - they're about to yell 'game on' in a few days....... :hlogo: :hockey::)

At worst they lose a player they don't need - if he clears then he's a veteran defenceman for the farm system you can afford to lose on recall waivers at some point. Rather lose him than a young prospect.....

The "recall waiver" system has been scrapped so if he clears now then we could call him up, correct me if I'm wrong...

Common now. At worst what Gainey did was a panic move. But still he got a (not quite so, sort of) reliable #7 defenseman. But, with Bouillon out and Whooley not working out, what do ya do?

The Niinimaa acquisition obviously materialized after the Traverse pickup. However, I respect Gainey for doing everything within his power to help the team

Absolutely.

How can you say "a panic move". A panic move gives the feeling he actually did something wrong. All he did was make sure we had experienced D available until players got back from the IR. He then was able to make an even better move. Smart, intelligent thinking.

Gainey is starting to remind me of the top pro poker players. Quiet, intelligent, always watching and willing to make the move when there is a the opportunity. And he has guts!

The "recall waiver" system has been scrapped so if he clears now then we could call him up, correct me if I'm wrong...

Have to clear waivers on the way back down if they've brought him up and then send him down again.

Hainsey was lost when they recalled him if memory serves me right - I'm not an expert on this one though?

Have to clear waivers on the way back down if they've brought him up and then send him down again.

Hainsey was lost when they recalled him if memory serves me right - I'm not an expert on this one though?

Not 100% sure (Hey KoZed!)I believe Hainsey was lost to a "recall" rule that has since been scrapped.

I never understood what the fuss was all aboot, I mean I new this guy wasn't even going to see the Bell Centre let alone the ice rink. I bet when he was signed Bob said something to the effect of you probably won't play on the team you're just insurance if this thing I'm working on falls through. The thing he was working on was the Ribs trade.

Not 100% sure (Hey KoZed!)I believe Hainsey was lost to a "recall" rule that has since been scrapped.

yes, I believe both the NHL and the NHLPA scrapped the recall rule because players were left to rot in the minors and teams were penalized for recalling a player.

i don't know why people are making a big deal out of this

he was never going to play a game with us as streit was going to be the 6th guy, and by the time someone gets hurt, Cote was probably going to be back

At least now our farm team could get a big stronger