Anze Kopitar

giupietrantonio

If you guys remeber Anze Kopitar was drafted in 2005 same year that we drafted Carey Price. Now many analysts thought that we would get this Slovenian because we were lacking size and his 6 foot 4 frame would fit in with the Habs. Instead of choosing him we chose Carey Price, a phenomenal goalie. Now at the beggining of this year Kopitar inpressed the Chicago organization and got a spot on the roster. After 2 games this year he has 2 goals, 3 assists, and a plus 3. Did we miss something? Now, don't get me wrong i know its the begining of the season and his 5 points can stay like that for a long time but i still wounder what if?

I'm not saying i'm not happy with Carey Price i just would have really liked Anze and his huge size to bulk up the team a little.

Now at the beggining of this year Kopitar inpressed the Chicago organization and got a spot on the roster. After 2 games this year he has 2 goals, 3 assists, and a plus 3. Did we miss something?

I'm sure you meant to say it's the

I agree that Kopitar's looked very impressive -- but the Habs went out on a limb in 06-2005 drafting what they believe will be a franchise goaltender. Backstop and defense first (e.g. big and talented Jagr couldn't carry the Rangers all the way).

We've yet too see if the gamble will yield it's desired return, but Carey Price did look excellent this pre-season at a mere 19 yrs. of age. Many may argue he out performed Abby and Huet.

Time, let's give it time.

Edited by MCeh

I'm sure you meant to say it's the

I agree that Kopitar's looked very impressive -- but the Habs went out on a limb in 06-2005 drafting what they believe will be a franchise goaltender. Backstop and defense first (e.g. big and talented Jagr couldn't carry the Rangers all the way).

We've yet too see if the gamble will yield it's desired return, but Carey Price did look excellent this pre-season at a mere 19 yrs. of age. Many may argue he out performed Abby and Huet.

Time, let's give it time.

I was watching the kings game last night ... he looks very impressive, was probably the best player on the ice for both teams. I think teams passed on him because he's from Slovenia ... not exactly a hockey hot bed. but sometimes you find a dimond in the ruff and the kings found one that slipped to them at the 11th spot although he was rated 5-6 in 2005.

I actually wanted the Habs to pick Kopitar much more than Brulé. Price wasn't even on the radar prior to the draft. Andre Savard actually wanted us to pick Marc Staal. Price has lot of pressure. Though if he pulls a Cam Ward Timmins will look like a genius.

No doubt Price will be a great goalie. But heck, Kopitar is exactly what we need..a big and skilled center!!!!! :(

Though 10 teams passed on Kopitar even if he was slotted as a top 5 pick. Maybe there was something wrong about him we didnt know about.

But yeah, he'd have solved many problems at center. Price will need to be great to make me deal with the pick. At least we got some sort of pay back with Latendresse.

relax, Goalies take longer to peak, they have to develop more then players do, Carey Price is still very young

relax, Goalies take longer to peak, they have to develop more then players do, Carey Price is still very young

True... I'm just hoping Price develops into something closer to a Luongo than a Storr/Khran/Finley...

True... I'm just hoping Price develops into something closer to a Luongo than a Storr/Khran/Finley...

Yeah, you can see that Finely has tons of potentiel but whenever they play him (preseason) he sucks <_<

...i was crying when we drafted price..:(

I was confused but knew the Leafs were trying to move up to get Price. Even they could not believe Price went so high. Price is a gamble like any young player so give it time.

Plus Kopitar has not played a full NHL season yet so lets see how he does.

Price was a definite gamble. Plenty of teams wanted him, but at #5 it raised a whole lot of eyebrows, and time will tell if it was a good move.

You're right - Kopitar was definitely one guy who I think would have been a great Habs pick. The knock on him was that he is the first ever NHL prospect to come from Slovenia! In retrospect, I'm quite surprised he slipped to #11.

"He's the first top-flight prospect ever produced by Slovenia, and quite possibly the best pure sniper in this year's crop. He's deadly from the circles in and wants the puck on his stick at crunch time. With a big-time shot and explosive, game-breaking abilities, he'll be off the board early."

-- Red Line Report

I was a bit shocked when montreal went for Price but seeing him during training camp against boston, I have tons of confidence over him.

I too thought that we would go for kopitar but with the the-odor situation last year, I'm glad we didn't.

it's harder to find a great goalie than to find a big/talented centerman

Sorry i meant Los Angelos, during the draft i too like kopitar over brule

I would rather have Brule

Kopitar is a great player and a great guy.

Broke some records here in Sweden when he played in the juniors. He's had a great start but I don't think the Habs did a bad thing to go with Price.

If a team has decided to pick a goaltender with their top pick then it's never a dumb idea to get the best available.

Kopitar will turn some heads and is a potential first liner.

Calm down people. The local media has been praising Latendresse for the past 2 training camps when people forget that Carey Price was the best rookie and best goalie at camp for 2 years in a row.

That right there should be enough to show that Timmins made the right choice for now.

In 3-5 years I dont see us using either Huet nor Aebischer as our no1 goalie. Price fits that picture and he would come to the team perfectly when our team starts to become one of the top 5 teams in the league... if nothing of this happens Im gonna be dissapointed.

In 3-5 years I dont see us using either Huet nor Aebischer as our no1 goalie. Price fits that picture and he would come to the team perfectly when our team starts to become one of the top 5 teams in the league... if nothing of this happens Im gonna be dissapointed.

aebischer shouldn't be with us next year. I could see price as a 2nd fiddler à la cam ward.

• 3 months later...

I'm impressed with what I saw of Kopitar so far.

The other night Jim Fox said Kopitars' style looks very similar to that of Jean Béliveau,

a big man, pretty good moves, not the quickest of skaters but has the power..

Kopitar looks awesome most Habs fans and fans of teams in the east do not get to hear about him but if you have the chance to stay up late and watch some west coast games Kopitar is fun to watch is creates a lot of offence.

Yeah its funny reading about people talking about him in October. I think we got our big skilled player in Lats, unfortunate he's not the center we need like Kopitar. But i think we didnt choose wrong with Price. We got our goalie position secured for the next couple of years. And got our top line crasher/skilled player in Lats, so i think we got the best we needed of that draft year.

Yeah its funny reading about people talking about him in October. I think we got our big skilled player in Lats, unfortunate he's not the center we need like Kopitar. But i think we didnt choose wrong with Price. We got our goalie position secured for the next couple of years. And got our top line crasher/skilled player in Lats, so i think we got the best we needed of that draft year.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Lats plays center at some point in his career. Maybe not in a near future, but somewhere down the road. He's got the vision and playmaking skills needed from a C... once his game is more rounded up, he probably could line up at C easily.

kopitar is the guy i had hoped that the canadiens would have picked in that draft year...

an interesting comment made by timmins was they thought that price was the last player available who had a possibility of being a 'franchise' player...

wow... how does one make that kind of statement on an 18-year-old guy... especially a goalie...

in any case, i hope he's more right than wrong...

GO :hlogo: GO!

From our present day perspective, with our Cristo-Wall being at the All-Stars NHL game and one of our goaltender rooky Helac? being at the AHL All-Star game himself this season......it would be hard not to lust after big Anze which seems to be on it's way for a 69 points first season at only 19 while simulteneously holding the most salient features our team most certainly could use to their greatest advantages........but let's face it, our situation in goal was teinted of uncertainty when we picked Price and we all know that any teams is doomed from the start to go all the way if they dont have stellar material shielding the cage in their own end and Price, from the two training camps I have watched him or from reading about him do project the stellar stuff no team cant do without to succeed in this league.......maybe even more so today(with the increased PP plays and overall scoring opportunitys) than before.

But the teams that have not picked Kopitar without having the Price' s excuse that we do......might all end up to be not as good a selection as they could have shosen......time will tell.