Habs special units stats...

KoZed

well we all knew that are PK would be great with Carbo behind the bench :clap:

Yup... and so many of our forwards can play on the PK and do a great job.

Did you see Begin and Murray last night? Habs are up by 3 goals, the game is in the bag, yet Murray and Begin are there on the PK throwing themselves in front of shots. Just awesome.

As for the PP... its all Souray right now. I'm wondering how we'll adjust once teams start paying special attention to him.

As for the PP... its all Souray right now. I'm wondering how we'll adjust once teams start paying special attention to him.

carbo already changed the PP plans during the 3rd period coz colorado was paying more attention to souray... that's why we saw a goal from higgins near the net... carbo said that they will think about more PP play options... :clap:

This is indeed amazing and the Habs will finish high in the east if these numbers continue all season long. The New NHL is all about special teams.

As for the short handed goals Jordan Stall of Pittsburgh has all 3 for the PENS. His first 3 NHL goals all shorties, that is incredible.

Yeah, i go to other teams forums before we play them and all they say is that are PP is the only way we score, and that if they take souray out of the PP they will win........ We just proved them wrong :lol:

I worry the same thing. Feed Souray, shoot...score. It's great that it's working right now, but down the road we need something a little more.

I don't know if anyone else has picked this up, but it looks like Carbonneau is using a diamond on the penalty killing unit instead of the box that everyone else is using. Even when the play goes down low and along the half boards. And of course, one of the things that has helped the PK unit has been the forwards ability to block shots from the point. Murray and Begin blocked four on one shift last night vs the Avs late in the game.

Yup... and so many of our forwards can play on the PK and do a great job.

Did you see Begin and Murray last night? Habs are up by 3 goals, the game is in the bag, yet Murray and Begin are there on the PK throwing themselves in front of shots. Just awesome.

Which is exactly what happened to Toronto last yeat with McCabe. Guy scored 15 goals in the first half, almost all on the powerplay, then ended the season with 19 or so. They started keying on him on the powerplay.

Montreal has to be mindfull of that. Start playing a playmaker on the opposite point maybe? Somebody to feed the open person or to take the shot himself when there is a guy draped on Souray??? Eventually other teams will start keying on Souray and Montreal better have a plan B

Montreal has to be mindfull of that. Start playing a playmaker on the opposite point maybe? Somebody to feed the open person or to take the shot himself when there is a guy draped on Souray??? Eventually other teams will start keying on Souray and Montreal better have a plan B

That's when Markov will need to start finding alternative plays and Ryder/Higgins start to take more shots.

That's when Markov will need to start finding alternative plays and Ryder/Higgins start to take more shots.

Exactly! I'm not worried about the Habs PP at all, and that reason is Andrei Markov. Souray gets a lot of credit for the Habs PP success and rightfully so; here aren't many players in the league that can cleanly score on an NHL goalie from the blue line. But the QB and key to the PP is Markov. If teams key on Souray - and Colorado did just that after his second goal on Saturday - then that will simply create more space and passing lanes for Markov to find guys down low. Remember that pass he snapped across to Koivu on Higgins goal on Saturday? We'll just be seeing more of that if teams decide to take away Souray from the point.

Edited by option+