Next Canadiens captain?

Cataclaw

I love Saku, he's my favourite player on this team and i hope he sticks around for years, and i hate to think about a Koivu-less Canadiens team, but it's inevitable. One day, it'll happen, due to retirement, an injury, etc. (We can only hope later on he'll come back to the Canadiens organisation as a member of the coaching staff!)

With that being said, who do you think will take his place when leaves?

My vote goes to Higgins. He has "future captain" written all over him (as well as "50-goal scorer")

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Future Captains:

1) Higgins - Great player, passion, skills and grew up a HabFan

2) Ryder - Assuming he stays with the Habs (surprised it went to Arbitration last summer). He is really skilled and has the leadership potential.

3) Chipchura - Great leader in Juniors, will be a gritty player who will contribute to the Habs for many years once he joins the big team.

4) Latendress - French Canadian Favourite

Higgins is who I think will take over the duties if Koivu lasts 5 more years, if Koivu retires earlier Higgins will not be ready and it will go to someone in the interm. Let's say Koivu retires in 2008, then my vote would be for Markov or Souray if he's still around, which I'm doubtful of.

I also think Komisarek has those type of qualities that make a good captain, so he may get it over HIggins as well.

I also think Bégin has a good chance of at least wearing an "A" on his uniform in the not-too distant future.

I really like Begin, but it is unlikely he will make it past the role of checking line (3rd line). Not necessarily the traditional role of a Captain (usually 1st or 2nd line or top 2 Def)

I agree cfposi. It's unlikely he'll ever be captain, but as i said, i can see him wearing an 'A'.

Haha...oops...I guess I didn't read it right. For sure this guy will wear an 'A'. Maybe I should go back to high school like Steve so I can learn to read post properly before I respond :P

My bad! :D

I really like Begin, but it is unlikely he will make it past the role of checking line (3rd line). Not necessarily the traditional role of a Captain (usually 1st or 2nd line or top 2 Def)

Carbo technically wasn't a 1st or 2nd line forward. As far as Ryder, I haven't seen anything, or heard anything, from him that would say he's captain material. Regardless, team leadership is decided by the team, not a bunch of outsiders. As far as Higgins not being "ready" to be captain in within a few years, what the heck does that mean?

I think it will be be Sidney Crosby... when that kid hits 25 years old he'll be a free agent and the next captain of the Montreal Canadiens.

There is some wishful thinking...but it would be cool! ;)

That time is so far away, who knows who will even be on the team in 4 years or so. With salary caps and free agency changes, Higgins could be long gone, or perhaps a new guy will come in a trade who becomes Captain.

I have no idea if Higgins has captain potential, since scoring does not equal leadership. I certainly don't see anything from Ryder to indicate that he is a leader.

If Koivu was gone today, I think the Captain would either be Souray or Rivet.

Seeing as Rivet will likely be done by the time Koivu is... Higgins is definitely my pick. Chipchura has some solid captain qualities to him as well, so I'm sure he might grab it... but not if Higgins is around.

Who knows, maybe David Fischer will pan out to be a solid defenseman and end up with the captaincy as well.

I have no idea if Higgins has captain potential, since scoring does not equal leadership. I certainly don't see anything from Ryder to indicate that he is a leader.

1. Listen to him in interviews, it becomes apparent what type of guy Higgins is

2. Listen to what his teammates say about him

Right now, from what we can tell, he leads by example with his hard working / good work ethic

Who knows what happens in the dressing room, but i'd bet he's a source of motivation in there too.

Higgins would need many more seasons before getting a C... or even an A. Its not because a player's doing well that it automatically makes him captain material. When players vote for a captain, they usually pick guys they've been around for years, or experienced veterans that have seen a lot.

Right now I'd say the order of guys in front of Higgins is as follows:

1. Rivet

2. Souray

3. Kovalev

4. Dandeneault

5. Begin

6. Bouillon

Young guys like Higgins and Komisarek will get their turn someday, but not before 3, 4 seasons. And by then, who knows who else will have emerge as a consistent leader?

Higgins would need many more seasons before getting a C... or even an A. Its not because a player's doing well that it automatically makes him captain material. When players vote for a captain, they usually pick guys they've been around for years, or experienced veterans that have seen a lot.

Agreed.

But considering, unless something goes array, Koivu will be around for another 2 more years and will be captain until at least 2009, by then Higgins will have 4 years under his belt and, if he continues his pace, a major player on the team (and maybe consistent Selke nominee).

If Koivu would not be here today, it would be Rivet, I believe, or Souray (my preference). Or would the team want to pin it on a guy that is certain to be around beyond this season (Kovelov).

Without a doubt, Higgins has the most potential of all the players to take over when Koivu leaves (if he leaves on schedule), followed by Komisarek

Kozed: I agree 100%, but my opinion that Higgins is a future captain is based on the assumption that Koivu will be around for 3-5 more years and Higgins will have matured more by then. Rivet, Souray, Kovalev, etc. will also most likely be gone by then.

Agreed.

But considering, unless something goes array, Koivu will be around for another 2 more years and will be captain until at least 2009, by then Higgins will have 4 years under his belt and, if he continues his pace, a major player on the team (and maybe consistent Selke nominee).

If Koivu would not be here today, it would be Rivet, I believe, or Souray (my preference). Or would the team want to pin it on a guy that is certain to be around beyond this season (Kovelov).

Without a doubt, Higgins has the most potential of all the players to take over when Koivu leaves (if he leaves on schedule), followed by Komisarek

yeah maybe in 2 years... I doubt any of Rivet and Souray will still be here by then, ditto for Kovy. But if, say, Dandeneault or Begin are still around, I'd see them get a C first because of seniority and leadership, then Higgins perhaps getting an A... Once Koivu's gone, Higgins might get all the pressure of producing offensively, getting the C at the same time would be a lot. Komisarek's turn will come later too.

And don't count our Bouillon, Bonk and Johnson, maybe not as C material but maybe as A.

But all of this is really a moot point. None of us really knows who rallys the troups on the bench and who's well liked in the locker-room, or helping out the younger guys in practice... Leadership's not limited to the ice.

Young guys like Higgins and Komisarek will get their turn someday, but not before 3, 4 seasons. And by then, who knows who else will have emerge as a consistent leader?

Bah, horsehockey. It depends on the team, plenty of teams have youngsters with an A on their shirt right now. I'm not saying name Higgins captain tomorrow or that I'm even agreeing. I already know I'll get slapped around with the "Montreal tradition, captaincy is special" crap. Bleah!

Edited by huzer

Kozed: I agree 100%, but my opinion that Higgins is a future captain is based on the assumption that Koivu will be around for 3-5 more years and Higgins will have matured more by then. Rivet, Souray, Kovalev, etc. will also most likely be gone by then.

3-5 years is a lot. By then Koivu would be 36-37 yrs old. With the injuries Koivu suffered and the way he's slowed down (his skating I mean) in the past couple of seasons, I see Koivu play 2 more seasons (until the end of his current contract) and moving on... he'll be 34 by then and who knows in which shape. I could see him wanting to play with his bro in Minny maybe a couple of seasons and then hanging them up. Or if Rivet leaves or gets traded, Koivu could want to follow him.

3-5 years is a long time frame in hockey terms, lot of things can happen then. We could lose Kovy and sign a superstar forward that becomes a lock for the C (like... Lecavalier, just because that rumor never dies).

Bah, horsehockey. It depends on the team, plenty of teams have youngsters with an A on their shirt right now. I'm not saying name Higgins captain tomorrow or that I'm even agreeing. I already know I'll get slapped around with the "Montreal tradition, captaincy is special" crap. Bleah!

Montreal tradition, captaincy is special...

In any case, Higgins better start the French lessons now, just to be on the safe side... :P