Trade Rivet Poll

KoZed

Trade Rivet  

67 members have voted

1. 1. He's set to be a UFA next summer. So trade him or not?

• Yes
    • No

I wouldn't trade him. He's good for the team, as well as I don't think we'd get much back for him this year. I think they should wait until off-season and see if he's willing to take a pay cut to stay, and what the situation is with our more "important" D (Souray, Markov). If it's not gonna work out and we lose him for nothing in the off season, it's not the end of the world.

To be honest, I wish they'd resign one of Markov or Souray to an extension during the season and then get the other one back after they test the market... I don't want to lose any of them... we just don't have enough depth on the farm, and as last year proved, this market is not a favourite spot for free agents, so I don't know who we'd be able to attract to replace some one valuable without giving them money we don't have. Simply put, we can't afford others who aren't already not in the city. As well, there's the question of chemistry. Another player might be good elsewhere, but would he work out in Montreal?

I want all three of our D back if possible next year. If not and we HAVE to lose Rivet, I'll be sad, but I'll get over it.

This article on Souray says a lot about this question:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...bd-33cd2cf64740

Souray's advice to Bob is basically to sign Markov first and then work something out with Rivet and then, if he can manage it, sign Shel long-term to stay in Montreal. He's worked things out with Ms. Baywatch so that his daughter visits him fairly extensively here now, which hopefully will quell the incessant "Souray wants to go west" rumours.

But the thing he says about Rivet is that he's sure Rivet wants to retire here, and he seems to think that management is just as eager to keep him. Rivet grew up a Habs fan and has always been a habs, and I think it would be a huge blow to everyone in the dressing room to see somebody like that traded away from the team - it would make it clear to them that management doesn't even pretend to care about their personal lives. So much of the team's success right now has to do with the team feeling like a team for the first time since the Houle days - no cliques, etc. with Dagenais, Ribeiro, Theodore, Zednik and Bulis gone - and Rivet is a big part of that, and tossing him to the wind for a draft pick wouldn't just subtract him from that equation but pull the rug out from everyone else as well.

the whole sign markov first thing might be a bit disingenuous...

whoever signs second will be able to use the other contract as a measuring stick in negotiations:

"you signed markov to X... I scored 10 more goals than he did so give me X+1mil" or something.

the whole sign markov first thing might be a bit disingenuous...

whoever signs second will be able to use the other contract as a measuring stick in negotiations:

"you signed markov to X... I scored 10 more goals than he did so give me X+1mil" or something.

hmmm.... I hadn't thought of that.. but the whole article was quite good. Gave me insight into what Souray's thinking from his own mouth, instead of relying on rumours... I was comforted by his saying that the grass isn't necessarily greener elsewhere.

I think our GM likes Mr Rivets' team-first attitude..

Yeah, they surely do. Looks like a positive guy for the team chemistry afterall. The Ribeiro clan is all gone now. Bégin said there were no "cliques" now. They chose to build around Koivu and Rivet's leadership. I doubt he'd ask for a big salary raise next summer. Komisarek will take more and more leadership in this Defence, but I think we still need Rivet's veteran presence.

hmmm.... I hadn't thought of that.. but the whole article was quite good. Gave me insight into what Souray's thinking from his own mouth, instead of relying on rumours... I was comforted by his saying that the grass isn't necessarily greener elsewhere.

Given all the wonderful things he said in that article - about how he'll never forget how classy the Habs are, how he wants to stay here and might take less money to stay, openly suggesting that Gainey's moves were 'addition by subtraction,' etc. - Souray is either the ultimate, old-school class act, both stright-shooting and team-focused; or else he's the best politician this side of Bill Clinton. I say the former. He wants to stay and, I'm guessing, will stay if we make him an offer within reason.

Craig Rivet has been nothing but garbage since he came to Montreal...

He is too slow for the new NHL....

If he could be traded for a young defenceman...I would roll the dice any day

As much as you guys like him...I'm sorry...but I think he is worth a bag of pucks...He is very undisciplined, and takes very unnecessary penalties....and im sick of him bitching at every call he deserves...."like Hello Craig..the new rules have been implemented for a year and a while now...you moron"......I think he should know what hes getting himself into by now!....Lets have a new poll...how many of you said yes because you think hes got no trade value to him? Like I said before...Give that A to someone who deserves it.

my vote will still be a yes... hey it's the habs in general who played bad, they were totally lost in the 3rd period !!! Can't blame Rivet for it... well a little part of it .. but not all! He been in Montreal for 13 years for god sake!

Craig Rivet has been nothing but garbage since he came to Montreal...

He was my fave D when he started in Montreal. Tough as nails, physical, would fight anytime and even had offensive upside... Reminded me of Adam Foote.

Then injuries piled up, he stopped hitting and fighting and slowed down. So now he's playing a position game but his lack of mobility and limited puckhandling means he's easy to beat 1-on-1 and he's prone to bad clearings. Not that he makes glaring bonehead plays like Brisebois used to; but he struggles to get the job done.

All that being said: Habs can't let him go because they dont have anyone to replace him in the system. The closest right side D we've got in the pipeline is O'Byrne and he's at least 2 seasons away from being a reliable regular, if not more (look how long it took an older, more talented Komisarek to make it).

So unless we can get a right side D through a trade, Rivet's staying put. He'd have to be a major liability on the ice to be traded... or flip the bird to a photograph at a golf tournament (if you catch the reference).

Edited by KoZed

Rivet loves Montreal and has the stick on his right. Unless there's an offer that gives the Habs a better right-handed defenceman for less money than Rivet makes now, then I see no need to trade him.

Rivet will accept a salary-cut and third pairings is almost certain in the future

Yes he was terrible tonight, might have been his worst game of the season. But he will be signed back in Montreal for less money and he needs to get bottom paring minutes not 2nd most on the team as he did this evening.

Carbonneu tired to spread the ice time tonight with all 6 defenceman playing approx 20 minutes, but for guys like Markov and Komisarek to be shut down players like they can be they need to play 25+ minutes. Bouillon and Streit are looking very solid together both are hitting and both are making some great passes.

Souray will get big minutes on nights with power play but for Rivet to be effective he should be playing 15-18 minutes at most.

Yes he was terrible tonight, might have been his worst game of the season. But he will be signed back in Montreal for less money and he needs to get bottom paring minutes not 2nd most on the team as he did this evening.

Carbonneu tired to spread the ice time tonight with all 6 defenceman playing approx 20 minutes, but for guys like Markov and Komisarek to be shut down players like they can be they need to play 25+ minutes. Bouillon and Streit are looking very solid together both are hitting and both are making some great passes.

Souray will get big minutes on nights with power play but for Rivet to be effective he should be playing 15-18 minutes at most.

yeah! Streit made an hellova hit in the first period! At first I thought it was Komisarek! Would have like to see the replay. The hit was center ice on the boards vs Chad Larose. His nose was even bleeding how the hit was solid. I think Streit wants to stay with the Habs hehe. Great effort

All that being said: Habs can't let him go because they dont have anyone to replace him in the system. The closest right side D we've got in the pipeline is O'Byrne and he's at least 2 seasons away from being a reliable regular, if not more (look how long it took an older, more talented Komisarek to make it).

What's the word on Emelin? I have heard nothing about him??

I don't know...Rivet takes too many bad penalties that really hurt us, whether its a close game...or a game that is still within our reach, which suddenly becomes out of it when he takes a penalty or loses his positioning forcing him to take one. I wish he could improve...but I think he is past his prime. I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last season in MTL.

He signed a 2 year deal in Russia this summer but if he gives his team 2 weeks notice he can come over and play in North America. But he may not want to sign a 2 way deal and risk playing in Hamilton. He was the best offensive and defensive deefenceman in the WJC's last year and that includes Johnson.

I don't know...Rivet takes too many bad penalties that really hurt us, whether its a close game...or a game that is still within our reach, which suddenly becomes out of it when he takes a penalty or loses his positioning forcing him to take one. I wish he could improve...but I think he is past his prime. I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last season in MTL.

Emelin is a left-handed D. Wouldn't replace Rivet.

At this point, only possible candidates (ie. RD) to replace Rivet are O'Byrne and Fischer & Carle a couple years behind.