Bonk doesn't get enough praise!

KoZed

If Bonk was born in Ontario Don Cherry would kiss his ass. If Bonk was born in Quebec Pierre Bertrand would campain to name a street after him.

Bonk's been doing a hell of a job this season. He deserves consideration for the Selke. How bad do you think LA feels letting Bonk and Huet go for Garon?

Edited by KoZed

Sadly the selke has turned into a joke.

Nowadays it seems like someones name and good stats is enough for the selke.

How can you determine whos the best defensive forward anyway? I doubt ANY of those voters have watched even 1/10 of the leagues games.

Your right, what they should look at is what forward has shut down the most big name players on a regular basis. Such as Crosby, Ovechkin, Iginla and so on and so forth.

If Bonk was born in Ontario Don Cherry would kiss his ass. If Bonk was born in Quebec Pierre Bertrand would campain to name a street after him.

Bonk's been doing a hell of a job this season. He deserves consideration for the Selke. How bad do you think LA feels letting Bonk and Huet go for Garon?

He is a big part of the team's successes so far, the guy's covering the ice so well and has

a great jump to his play this year.....it's night and day compared with last season and I am

still surprised when I see him that involved from start to end each and every game.....he is

alot of fun to watch and sooooo efficient.

But amazing enought Cherry is quite a big fan of his....even while stuggling last year Cherry

didn't change his mind about him,...'' I dont know why but I'v always liked the guy ''...Cherry, CBC.

as i said in another string, would you be disappointed if he was let go at the end of the year?

do you hope he stays?

being him, would you consider staying with a team that's dynamic, got a bright future, has a healthy atmosphere, got leadership stability, etc even though it would cost you a pay cut?

lots of questions, i know

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

The way Bonk is playing anchoring our third line and top notch penalty killing unit, i hope he is resigned.

However, it must be at a reasonable salary, because we have others to worry about like, Markov, Souray, Rivet, etc.

The way Bonk is playing anchoring our third line and top notch penalty killing unit, i hope he is resigned.

However, it must be at a reasonable salary, because we have others to worry about like, Markov, Souray, Rivet, etc.

where are you from? your responses are very quick. either you're up very early (or on your way to bed) or you live in a time zone nearer to greenwich's (i'm from northern ontario, canada, by the way) (i'm up very early - getting ready for my 5k walk)

I am from Kamloops, B.C. Just playing some online poker and checking up on gossip about the Habs.

wow, 3:45 am... now, that's early!

Bonk's good, but he's not cheap. Meanwhile, we have players like Lapierre and Chipchura who are looking for a spot on the big team, and both deserve it next year (Lapierre will eventually play with or replace Begin).

Bonk, Begin and Johnson are all 32 years old this year, and will probably begin to lose their step in the next 2-3 years.

Chipchura and Plekanec would make a great shut down line in the future, and a line with Lapierre and Murray would be pretty good in terms of energy.

Man, I salivate when I think about all the players who have yet to get a spot on the big club. The Kostitsyns, Chipchura, maybe Grabovski and D'Agostini ... Fischer, Korpikari, O'Byrne ... Danis, Price, Halak ... the future is well bright!

Bonk's good, but he's not cheap. Meanwhile, we have players like Lapierre and Chipchura who are looking for a spot on the big team, and both deserve it next year (Lapierre will eventually play with or replace Begin).

Bonk, Begin and Johnson are all 32 years old this year, and will probably begin to lose their step in the next 2-3 years.

Chipchura and Plekanec would make a great shut down line in the future, and a line with Lapierre and Murray would be pretty good in terms of energy.

Man, I salivate when I think about all the players who have yet to get a spot on the big club. The Kostitsyns, Chipchura, maybe Grabovski and D'Agostini ... Fischer, Korpikari, O'Byrne ... Danis, Price, Halak ... the future is well bright!

Dont write off guys cuz theyre in their mid 30s, look at shanahan!

As far as I'm concerned, what he's getting nowis a reasonable price. Not only is he amazing defensively but he's great at controlling the puck in the offensive zone. Just like Kovalev, he turns his body towards the defender and then they give him room. He killed offer about 30 seconds at the end of last night's game, stopping Pittsburgh from pulling their goalie or attempting a comeback.

May hit 20 goals as well.

he's worth a little less than 2 million. maybe 1.9. i think that he'll stay given he just built a house here and he's family has just gotten comfortable

As far as I'm concerned, what he's getting nowis a reasonable price. Not only is he amazing defensively but he's great at controlling the puck in the offensive zone. Just like Kovalev, he turns his body towards the defender and then they give him room. He killed offer about 30 seconds at the end of last night's game, stopping Pittsburgh from pulling their goalie or attempting a comeback.

May hit 20 goals as well.

when one looks at the price that columbus is paying for Fedorov who's supposed to be the model defensive forward

bonk's salary is about 1/3 of Fedorov's

Stats wise, he is close to last year's pace. However, last year at this time, he had only 6pts (and was on the IR), and he's shooting much more frequently this year. He's also on the + side, rather than - as well. Goal scoring is up, 6 goals all of last year, and he already has that many this year.

Regardless, stats don't tell the whole story with a shutdown center. He's excelling at what he's being asked to do.

Wow, this is a complete 100% turnaround of what people said of him at the same time last year. Infact all of last year and into the beginning of this year.

He's played well this year and not only him, but Mike Johnson and Alexander Perezhogin are a big part of Montreal's excellent start this year. If Bonk is to be recognized, then so should they.

Playing with a broken nose is part of being a hockey player.

Evertime I looked at him on Saturday I started to laugh. At the best of times Bonk is a pretty wierd looking guy. You add the blue-ish black shiner and his giant crooked nose and it makes me laugh.

As for his play, I think we are getting exactly what we got last year from him. The difference is he now has two wingers that are awesome. Bye, Bye Bulis!

Do we need him next year? I'm not sure.

How bad do you think LA feels letting Bonk and Huet go for Garon?

Bonk actually came from Ottawa, not LA.

I'll be the first to admit that over the summer, I was proposing to trade Bonk for a bag of pucks and a couple of Synergy sticks, and now my tune has entirely flipped, I'm one step away from getting myself a Bonk jersey this season, the guy has been playing unbelievable in the role that is asked of him, but I can't help but think this is all because it's a contract year for him, everybody has always known that he has the talent it's just that historically he has been lazy. I would be nervous that if we did sign him to a 2 or 3 year contract we wouldn't see this type of play out of him again for 2 or 3 years.

...I can't help but think this is all because it's a contract year for him, everybody has always known that he has the talent it's just that historically he has been lazy. I would be nervous that if we did sign him to a 2 or 3 year contract we wouldn't see this type of play out of him again for 2 or 3 years.

He never played for LA, but that's where Gainey got him from - I think it might have been kind of a 3-way trade.

As for the contract-year thing, he played quite well in the second half of last season, almost as well as he's playing now. His first half he was pretty much playing injured the whole time.

Ottawa Senators traded Radek Bonk to the Los Angeles Kings for a 3rd round selection (Shawn Weller) in 2004 then the Kings traded Bonk to the Montreal Canadiens with Cristobal Huet for Mathieu Garon and a 3rd round selection (Paul Baier) in 2004.

:D:D:D

Edited by KoZed

Since last year was his first with the Habs, I think a lot of folks (even though Gainey stated he obtained him as a 3rd line center) expected the old 60ish pt days from his time in Ottawa. Tempered expectations help.

Would it be unreasonable to have expected Bonk to post decent offensive numbers last season? He came with an offensive history and a bucketload of talent. According to those expectations, he was a huge disappointment last season. I seriously doubt he was accquired as a shutdown center.

But last season was just that. Carbo and the coaching staff (not to mention Gainey) saw potential in what he was doing towards the end of last season and Bonk has bought into the system. Great defensive forwards evolve, partly out of necessity. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain his quality of play (don't see why he can't).