Kostitsyn tearing up the AHL

les_glorieux

Mathias Brunet of La Presse reports that when Andrei Kostitsyn was sent back to the Hamilton Bulldogs after playing four games with the Canadiens last month, general manager Bob Gainey and assistant Pierre Gauthier sat down with the talented forward to let him know what he had to do to improve his game.

Whatever they said to him seems to have worked, with Kostitsyn recording 20 points in the 12 games since his return to the Bulldogs, including a five-point night - two goals and three assists - against Rochester on Friday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They explained to him what they expected of him," Bulldogs coach Don Lever said. "They told him they wanted him to play like a power forward, that he go to the net more. Andrei isn't 6-foot-3, but he is strong and hard to move. They told him that is the way he will prove that he can play in the NHL."

Lever said Kostitsyn is also showing leadership skills by taking Mikhail Grabovsky under his wing and showing the rookie the ropes.

Kostitsyn has 26 points in 23 games and is closing in on being one of the 10 scorers in the American Hockey League despite playing fewer games.

He had fallen out of the good graces of Canadiens' management because of lacklustre performances the last two seasons, but a solid training camp raised his stock once again. He had a slow start in Hamilton, but has been on a tear since returning from the big club last month.

"When he plays consistently, you notice him every night and you know he can play in the NHL," Lever said.

Kostitsyn will have to be patient before he can make his mark in the NHL, because barring any rash of injuries on the Canadiens, he will likely finish the season in Hamilton.

Kostitsyn will have to be patient before he can make his mark in the NHL, because barring any rash of injuries on the Canadiens, he will likely finish the season in Hamilton.

That single bit tells me something else. Montreal will have too many bodies when Begin returns from injury, thus either Streit/Lapierre/Murray/Downey will need to be sent down or placed on waivers. If management is planning on keeping Kostitsyn down in the AHL, I believe that Lapierre will be sent back down as well. It's just a hunch, but I doubt the Habs want to keep Lapierre in the press-box when he can play top minutes in Hamilton.

Not that I want to see Lapierre sent down, he's done great in his time with the Habs, but it's somewhat of a safe route until some room can be made. Mark Streit has played great and deserves his roster spot, while Begin signed a long-term contract that almost garantees him a spot on the 4th line. I doubt they'll want to bench Latendresse either.

Well if gainey comes back im sure he will free some bodies, Ryder might not be back. Kovalev could be traded, So can samsonov anything can happe so well see what happens with mtl at the deadline. Well be able to judge better at that time.

And i always said Kostitsyn is AMMAZING * can't wait to put it in my friends faces* :D

He so belongs in the nhl, why not waive both Murray and Downey? They don't do much and we have talent that needs the experience.

as much as i would prefer it to be otherwise, who would be there to take on the defense of the other players?... such a role is still needed sometimes when playing teams who like to rough it up.

aside from that, i look forward to see kostitsyn make the bigs and be guided to do what he can do

GO :hlogo: GO!

it'll be next year for big kosts. basicly, next season, he'll have to go through waivers to be sent down and there's no way MTL will do that. they cant afford another beauchemin or hainsey snafu.

Kosty's probably the biggest enigma in our system. Is he a potential star? Does he have significant trade value? I'm not sure on either count. Is this the last year we can bring him up and down without exposing him to waivers? I think it might be. If Kosty continues to tear up the A he could make an attractive part of a package deal in the near future. Not that I want to trade him.

However, the fact is we're either going to make a 2- or 3-for one trade or we're going to have let some vets go after this season (Bonk, Johnson or Samsonov come to mind) as we simply have too much talent at forward to keep. With the chemistry on the team, that's a tough decision for the GM, although we all know what Bob's looking for. Someone better than Ribiero.

He and Lapierre need roster spots very very soon.

I think Kosty will play out the season in Hamilton. But he should be locked for next year's team.

I think Kosty will play out the season in Hamilton. But he should be locked for next year's team.

if perezhogin picks up his game, he or kost could be used as a trade bait fot that 2nd line centre they seem to be looking for.

Perezhogin and Kostitsyn are guys Gainey refuses to trade.

I agree but If he can the player he really wants in exchange of one of his kids euro player( I include pleks), I think he'd do it

I agree but If he can the player he really wants in exchange of one of his kids euro player( I include pleks), I think he'd do it

bottom line... gainey's no fool...

he knows his stuff and will do what he thinks best for what he believes his team needs...

GO :hlogo: GO!

"They explained to him what they expected of him," Bulldogs coach Don Lever said. "They told him they wanted him to play like a power forward, that he go to the net more. Andrei isn't 6-foot-3, but he is strong and hard to move. They told him that is the way he will prove that he can play in the NHL."

Hopefully Kotsy can develop into a Marian Hossa type player .. he's got the frame and the shot ... if he can stay committed to playing like he is now by driving the net and being a power forward ... he'll be a top 2 line player next season for sure ... if not , then he will unfortunately become another Marcel Hossa :(