Was an Innocent Pool Question. . .

JLP

Hit quite a few posts tonight it was just amazing. Still, Cloutier almost getting a shutout is hilarious. :lol:

The emergence of Kesler continues with the late tying goal and the winner! :clap: Burrows was awesome this game as were a few others.

Salo looks to be out again though......

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love how everyone on this team comes up big when we need them. Brunette tonight with 2 goals and Davd freakin Jones with a 3 point game over the lowly Thrashers. Foote came back tonight but left in the 1st, guess the hip is still bothering him. Everyone is expected back by the time we play Edmonton on Saturday (with the exceptions of Leopold, Clark and Svatos)

And I should mention the resurgence of Jose Theodore in here. I hate bringing him up because Habs fans always find something to pick on but he has been outstanding since New Year's (and was just as good in October and November). I know, contract year, it's obvious but I really don't see how he isn't the comeback player of the year. Like I've said, Giggy should sign him to a 1 year deal, keep him fighting for that money.

Well, I don't see a whole lot of sense in what you're saying either. At first glance, I thought it was something Pierre had posted. Awarding goals and assists and penalties doesn't take anything away from the team. Any team sport has player statistics. Any team sport has players with different salaries, that doesn't mean they aren't part of the same team. I'd say you're arbitrarily applying your reasoning to disagree with me.

I'm being perfectly consistent. My basic assertion is this: Although it's a team game, there are occasions where individual performances decide games. Furthermore, the shootout is not inherently bad because it isn't 5 guys taking the shot.

This is true in other sports: In basketball, a game can be determined by a free throw. In football, the game can be determined by a field goal.

In almost any sports, there are elements where the individual might decide the outcome where the team has failed.

Go shootout.

Before you go on with this notion that I'm going out of my way to disagree with you, save the time and stop. This isn't a one-man conspiracy. I think I do a pretty good job of developing my own opinion regardless of who is on what side. We had a similar discussion about the shootout back in Dayton when they started it. This isn't something I've developed just to instigate an argument... I do that at school. haha. :lol:

I just love how everyone on this team comes up big when we need them. Brunette tonight with 2 goals and Davd freakin Jones with a 3 point game over the lowly Thrashers. Foote came back tonight but left in the 1st, guess the hip is still bothering him. Everyone is expected back by the time we play Edmonton on Saturday (with the exceptions of Leopold, Clark and Svatos)

And I should mention the resurgence of Jose Theodore in here. I hate bringing him up because Habs fans always find something to pick on but he has been outstanding since New Year's (and was just as good in October and November). I know, contract year, it's obvious but I really don't see how he isn't the comeback player of the year. Like I've said, Giggy should sign him to a 1 year deal, keep him fighting for that money.

Yes.

He's been solid, but keeping him in that contract year might be wise.

I'm being perfectly consistent. My basic assertion is this: Although it's a team game, there are occasions where individual performances decide games. Furthermore, the shootout is not inherently bad because it isn't 5 guys taking the shot.

This is true in other sports: In basketball, a game can be determined by a free throw. In football, the game can be determined by a field goal.

In almost any sports, there are elements where the individual might decide the outcome where the team has failed.

Go shootout.

Before you go on with this notion that I'm going out of my way to disagree with you, save the time and stop. This isn't a one-man conspiracy. I think I do a pretty good job of developing my own opinion regardless of who is on what side. We had a similar discussion about the shootout back in Dayton when they started it. This isn't something I've developed just to instigate an argument... I do that at school. haha. :lol:

In basketball, the person shooting the free throws had to receive a pass from a teammate, make a decision on how to use his teammates, etc. before he is fouled and goes to the line. A more sensible comparison would be if they decided overtime in basketball by having guys shoot free throws till someone misses. Same thing in football. Somehow the team put the kicker in range of the goal posts. They aren't deciding games by sending out both teams kicked to see who misses first, which would be comparable to the shootout in hockey.

I don't think you're going out of your way to disagree, I just think your argument isn't valid, just like you think mine isn't. Nothing more than that.

In basketball, the person shooting the free throws had to receive a pass from a teammate, make a decision on how to use his teammates, etc. before he is fouled and goes to the line. A more sensible comparison would be if they decided overtime in basketball by having guys shoot free throws till someone misses. Same thing in football. Somehow the team put the kicker in range of the goal posts. They aren't deciding games by sending out both teams kicked to see who misses first, which would be comparable to the shootout in hockey.

I don't think you're going out of your way to disagree, I just think your argument isn't valid, just like you think mine isn't. Nothing more than that.

The only sport that has an adequate comparison is football (soccer).

The penalties involve two parties trying to best each other. Just like hockey.

Free throws involve one team, field goals the same, same with a home run contest.

Their is no opposition to stop you.

The way it is structured right now is terrible, because you are rewarded with the same points as a regulation win.

It would alsp be a terrible way to lose a playoff game, I hope that Bettman doesn't get any bright ideas.

I don't think I've ever seen a thread go off-topic twice.

Now talk about the NW or I'll send the Penguin Pirates after you.

I know I've seen your avatar somewhere! :lol:

Way to show we're pretenders tonight Canucks......

Okay, that's it Pierre. You jinxed us. I go onto yim and I have a few offline messages and one is from him late last night going on about how we're on a winning streak. GOOD GOING PIERRE! :P

Heres hoping Vancouver doesn't come back because thats two big losses for Colorado (Calgary lost to Washington earlier)

Now just to cheer for Atlanta tomorrow because I think we'll beat Edmonton in Denver tomorrow.

Heres hoping Vancouver doesn't come back because thats two big losses for Colorado (Calgary lost to Washington earlier)

Now just to cheer for Atlanta tomorrow because I think we'll beat Edmonton in Denver tomorrow.

Like I said. Pierre jinxed us. :lol:

Whatever, we play Phoenix tomorrow too. This was a PPV game thank god, however, it was a great waste of 2 points. The Sedins are in the biggest slump I've ever seen(heard for tonight) them in.

To be honest, the Avs make the playoffs in my mind. No doubt. We'll probably make it but if this is what it's going to be like in the playoffs(No Sedins), then god help us. :unsure:

Like I said. Pierre jinxed us. :lol:

Whatever, we play Phoenix tomorrow too. This was a PPV game thank god, however, it was a great waste of 2 points. The Sedins are in the biggest slump I've ever seen(heard for tonight) them in.

To be honest, the Avs make the playoffs in my mind. No doubt. We'll probably make it but if this is what it's going to be like in the playoffs(No Sedins), then god help us. :unsure:

Well the goal for teams in the West apparently is 93 points and the Avs would never to go 6-5 for the rest of the season to reach that. If Nashville keeps losing though then it doesn't matter how anyone else does because they're the only team left with a realisitic shot.

Honestly, I think the West is just down to jockeying for position now. I'd love to catch Anaheim so we can take Dallas out in 5 again. :lol:

Well the goal for teams in the West apparently is 93 points and the Avs would never to go 6-5 for the rest of the season to reach that. If Nashville keeps losing though then it doesn't matter how anyone else does because they're the only team left with a realisitic shot.

Honestly, I think the West is just down to jockeying for position now. I'd love to catch Anaheim so we can take Dallas out in 5 again. :lol:

Nyce. I hate the Stars.

A lolworthy loss for the Calgary Flames to Atlanta tonight, they blew a 3-0 lead to probably the worst team in the league.

Colorado is up next, if we beat Edmonton tonight (4-1 on the season and the loss was when we totally gave up in the 3rd, by all rights it should be 5-0) then we're the NW leaders.

I don't know why I'm upset. I want a good pick but this is ridiculous. I might just stop watching the games for the rest of the year. What a complete waste of an evening. I should have kept playing brawl.

Liked Wolski's goal btw. :D

Fantastic day for the Avs. A dominant win over the hapless Oilers and losses by Calgary, Vancouver, Minnesota and Nashville.

Budaj gets his first start since February 20th and doesn't miss a beat. And the acquisition of Salei has turned out to be fantastic (I liked it from the beginning too) the man is such a force. And playing with that big ugly blood-filled...thing under his eye, mad respect for Ruslan Salei. He's in the mould of some of my favourite players and is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

It was a nice goal by Wolski, he's one guy who has taken advantage of the extra ice time (along with a boat load of others). Touching on our late round success in the draft Stealth, I have to mention Finger. His play this year means we can safely let Liles depart without any consequences. There was maybe 3 minutes in the 2nd where we didn't look totally sharp but otherwise a very impressive hockey game.

I'm definitely a happy Avs fan tonight (and hey, the Sens won too!)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one thing. Despite what most moronic Avs fans think, if we win the division then I don't see how Q doesn't get a Jack Adams nod. The talk has already begun around the league and he's definitely a front runner. Theres still some other good competition like Carbs and maybe Sutter in the East (between him and Brodeur, I didn't see Jersey as a contender at all going into the season) but the results Q has squeezed out of the team this year with all the injuries is astounding.

Oh yeah, random injury update, Smyth almost came back tonight and I hear Foote participated in the pre-game skate but decided not to go. Sounds like both should be back against Jersey (Foote is up in the air but I fully expect Smyth to play on Saturday. Which in itself is incredible, the man is a ######ing tank. Major kudos to that warrior)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one thing. Despite what most moronic Avs fans think, if we win the division then I don't see how Q doesn't get a Jack Adams nod. The talk has already begun around the league and he's definitely a front runner. Theres still some other good competition like Carbs and maybe Sutter in the East (between him and Brodeur, I didn't see Jersey as a contender at all going into the season) but the results Q has squeezed out of the team this year with all the injuries is astounding.

Yep. He's done a solid job. ;)

I want Phoenix to have our playoff spot too.

One thing being mildly overlooked in the Avs run is the play of the second tier forwards who weren't especially productive from the all-star breakup until the last rash of injuries (Foote, Forsberg, Leopold, Salei).

Specifically, I'm looking at Jaro Hlinka, Wojtek Wolski, and David Jones.

To start at the end, Jones's play in the last two games speaks for itself. he's been hitting, scoring, and setting up Bruno and Sakic with excellent opportunities. I dare not compare him to Peter Forsberg, but he has filled in very nicely in last 2 games.

Wolski contributed a goal tonight, and he has been contributing (except for being a scratch against Atlanta) although it hasn't shown up on the score sheet. He's showing glimmers of finally coming out of his shell a little bit... but unless he gets some confidence soon, he'll turn into another Adam Deadmarsh -- good player to have, but never lived up to potential.

Hlinka seemed like he was everywhere against Edmonton. He had a beautiful pass to set up Wolski's breakaway and he had a goal of his own as well as an assist agianst Atlanta.

All three of these guys are playing their best hockey of the season at the right time. When Forsberg comes back (assuming he stays healthy, which is never a safe assumption), Wolski, Hlinka, and Jones could all be very nice contributors on a 3rd/4th line. Top 6: Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk, Stastny, Smyth, Bruno. 3rd line Lappy, Guite, and one of the Cody Mc's. (This leaves out Arnason, the other of the Cody Mc's 55/11, Parker (inj.), and Svatos (inj.)). A little scoring punch against the other team's 5/6 defensemen would be a great asset with Wolski, Hlinka, and Jones left over. Unfortunately for David Jones or Cody McLeod, unless somebody else goes out for the playoffs, one of them ends up in Lake Erie because it certainly won't be any of the others. I would send McLeod down if I were Q. Either way, so long as we get over the injury bug headed into the second season, I like our forwards.

Sidenote: On Salei, I couldn't agree more, he's been everything we were hoping Scott Hannan would be and more. Solid positioning, physical, and contributes on the offensive end. Excellent trade.

Haha, I kind of mentioned that. Only reason I didn't go in depth was because theres too many players to mention (which is a fantastic problem to have)!

I was gushing about David Jones on YIM last night to Stealth, haha. And at this rate, I'm strongly considering getting a Salei jersey in time for next season. Did you see that shiner? And he still played. Thats crazy.

Haha, I kind of mentioned that. Only reason I didn't go in depth was because theres too many players to mention (which is a fantastic problem to have)!

I was gushing about David Jones on YIM last night to Stealth, haha. And at this rate, I'm strongly considering getting a Salei jersey in time for next season. Did you see that shiner? And he still played. Thats crazy.

Peter McNab (the same guy who assisted Mike Milbury in assaulting a Ranger fan with the fan's shoe at MSG in 1979) said on the broadcast tonight that Salei's black eye might be the worst he's seen in hockey.

That is a thing to behold.

McNab is #8, Milbury #26: