What do we do for next year?

hab29RETIRED

Heres what I do. Sign F. Beachemin and Leopold to contacts for $3 Million each. Sign a Veteran Goalie if ya can for say $2 Million . Price needs this. Say Dwaye Roloson whos been awesome in Edmonton

Make a trade with Pittsbrgh who needs wingers to play with Malkin and Crosby. Staal maybe available.

So we send Higgins, PK Sbban, Halak and maybe a pick for Staal. Or thereaboyts anyways. I picked Halak as they traded for Garon at the deadline. Might send S Kostitsyn or D'Agostini instead. Ya get the idea

Lang, Kovalev, Saks, Boillon, Dandealt, Chips all can walk. Might keep Saks if he takes $3.0 Million. If so take away Metropolit. That makes for great depth at Centre. For now we take Metropolit

Tangay $4.5 Staal $4.0 S Kostitsyn $0.7

A Kostitsyn $3.2 Plekanec $3.2 DAgostini $0.7

Pacioretty $0.9 Lapierre $0.8 Kostoplos $1.0

Latendresse $1.00 Metropolit $1.0 Laraqe $1.2

G Stewart $0.5

Markov $5.75 Komiarek $3.75

Hamrlik $5.25 O'Bryne $0.75

Leopold $3.00 Beachemin $3.0

Weber $0.70

Price $2.3

D Roloson $2.0

This solves the problem of mobile defensman in Leopold. Defensive Defensman in Beachemin. O' Bryne and Weber can battle for the 6th and 7th spots

Veteran Goalie for Price to help him.

Bigger at Centre with Staal.

Adds massive playoff experience with Beachemin, Leopold and Staal

Leaves somewhere between $5 and $7 Million cap room, which I estimate at $55 Million dollars. Which means a Forward Free agent might also be grabbed for some depth or scoring. Can be altered if Saks stays with a smaller salary

First off all, talk out of Edmonton is that it will take anywhere between $4M to 5.5M to sign Roloson - who still sees himself as a starter. Why would he accept less money and accept a role where he is probably going to be a backup????

Secondly, while I'd love to have Stall, I think you are giving away the bank. I'd try to Higgins over Dags and really wouldn't want to give up Subban, who could be the puck moving D we desperately need. I'd rather offer Pleks, Dags another wing prospect or Fisher.

Third, I'd love to get Komisarik for $3.75M, but that ain't happening unless we offer him a front loaded 10 year deal (which I wouldn't be opposed to offering him, but for some reason, the Habs don't seem to like giving long term deals.

Fourth, Lattendresse is a RFA and will probably be seeking more then $1M - I'd try and lock him up long term again, by front loading the contract, and offering him more then he is worth now, but less then what he will probably be worth in 3 or 4 years.

5th, Laraque is actually at $1.5M for another couple of years - if I could I'd try and dump him. WAY too much money to be paying a guy who can't take a regular shift.

6th regarding the D, I think there is an out clause/period in Hamrlik's NTC, if so I'd try and move him. It sounds like Leopold will be staying in Calgary and I'd really like the habs to make a major push for Emelin. I really don't want to see O'Byrne back. He may pan out yet, but they guy justs seems STUPID! Beauchiman sounds like a great option, but I think he will be offered more then $3M.

7th, I really don't think you can let Kovy go, IF he is willing to take a discount, bcoz, he suppodly loves playing in Montreal. I think he would make a great 2nd line winger. We just have too much youth on the wing that I'd rather have someone who can take the pressure off of them. Of course that is ONLY if he is willing to take a discount. If we do move Pleks, I'd also like to keep Koivu as a second line centre - again ONLY at a reduced rate.

8th, It sounds like Chelios may be done in Detroit. I'd try and bring him in as 7th D to teach the kids about work ethic and commitment to training. For now, he could be kind of a playing defence coach and down the line, could become a full-time coach for the defence - which is a MUCH better option then the suggested Brisbois assume that role. BRISEBOIS???

9) I think you have to be careful in pecilling in MaxPac into the lineup unless he has a strong camp. Moroever, I really don't want him playing with Lapierre and Kosto - definitely not Kosto for sure!! He is an offensive guy, he should play with guys with skill and be the net crasher with guys who can set him up.

My ideal situation would be to really make a move for one of the big 2 in Pittsburgh. Malkin will want a raise when his contract is up (2 years?). They could be in a similar situation as Tampa was with too much money tied up in 3-4 players. In another 2 years, can they afford to have around $16-17M tied up in two players, when Stall maybe a better more affordable #2 option at centre???? To me to get that top teir centre, I'd be willing to move AK46, SK74, Pleks and another prospect like Fisher. I'd much rather go after young guys like a Malkin/Crosby/Carter then Lecavalier who will be a $7.7M/yr cap hit until he is over 40 years old. I would have loved to have Vinny if he had waited a year and became a UFA, but not by being tied to him at that price until he is 40.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Habs need to hire better Scouts...

Draft Picks:

1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008

I think you need to look from around 2003 forward, which is around the time Timmins took over. While they still have made some big mistakes - especially in 2003, the drafting prior to Timmins was horrendous! Savard's last few years, were pretty lousy and Houle's staff was horrible!!

I'd like to add: PRAY

I've been doing that the past few weeks, hasn't seemed to have helped ^_^

I like the idea of getting Staal since I think he should be up for grabs but I think that would be an overpayment. D'Agostini is among my group of untouchables since he could pan out to be pretty good. Subban as well. Of the players I would be willing to part with, I think Sergei would bring back the biggest return.

Didn't Kolzig mentor Price? We could probably get him.

First off all, talk out of Edmonton is that it will take anywhere between $4M to 5.5M to sign Roloson - who still sees himself as a starter. Why would he accept less money and accept a role where he is probably going to be a backup????

Secondly, while I'd love to have Stall, I think you are giving away the bank. I'd try to Higgins over Dags and really wouldn't want to give up Subban, who could be the puck moving D we desperately need. I'd rather offer Pleks, Dags another wing prospect or Fisher.

Third, I'd love to get Komisarik for $3.75M, but that ain't happening unless we offer him a front loaded 10 year deal (which I wouldn't be opposed to offering him, but for some reason, the Habs don't seem to like giving long term deals.

Fourth, Lattendresse is a RFA and will probably be seeking more then $1M - I'd try and lock him up long term again, by front loading the contract, and offering him more then he is worth now, but less then what he will probably be worth in 3 or 4 years.

5th, Laraque is actually at $1.5M for another couple of years - if I could I'd try and dump him. WAY too much money to be paying a guy who can't take a regular shift.

6th regarding the D, I think there is an out clause/period in Hamrlik's NTC, if so I'd try and move him. It sounds like Leopold will be staying in Calgary and I'd really like the habs to make a major push for Emelin. I really don't want to see O'Byrne back. He may pan out yet, but they guy justs seems STUPID! Beauchiman sounds like a great option, but I think he will be offered more then $3M.

7th, I really don't think you can let Kovy go, IF he is willing to take a discount, bcoz, he suppodly loves playing in Montreal. I think he would make a great 2nd line winger. We just have too much youth on the wing that I'd rather have someone who can take the pressure off of them. Of course that is ONLY if he is willing to take a discount. If we do move Pleks, I'd also like to keep Koivu as a second line centre - again ONLY at a reduced rate.

8th, It sounds like Chelios may be done in Detroit. I'd try and bring him in as 7th D to teach the kids about work ethic and commitment to training. For now, he could be kind of a playing defence coach and down the line, could become a full-time coach for the defence - which is a MUCH better option then the suggested Brisbois assume that role. BRISEBOIS???

9) I think you have to be careful in pecilling in MaxPac into the lineup unless he has a strong camp. Moroever, I really don't want him playing with Lapierre and Kosto - definitely not Kosto for sure!! He is an offensive guy, he should play with guys with skill and be the net crasher with guys who can set him up.

My ideal situation would be to really make a move for one of the big 2 in Pittsburgh. Malkin will want a raise when his contract is up (2 years?). They could be in a similar situation as Tampa was with too much money tied up in 3-4 players. In another 2 years, can they afford to have around $16-17M tied up in two players, when Stall maybe a better more affordable #2 option at centre???? To me to get that top teir centre, I'd be willing to move AK46, SK74, Pleks and another prospect like Fisher. I'd much rather go after young guys like a Malkin/Crosby/Carter then Lecavalier who will be a $7.7M/yr cap hit until he is over 40 years old. I would have loved to have Vinny if he had waited a year and became a UFA, but not by being tied to him at that price until he is 40.

1) No way Pitts moves wither Crosby or Malkin

2) No way Philly Moves carter

3) There are plenty of free agent Goalies. The example was Roloson. Maybe Gerber who knows

4) Chelios is too old, and barely plays. Way mor eis needed on this team

5) Kovalev is expendable. In no way does he need to come back, only if everything else falls throgh

6) Komisarek has shown nothing that proves he gets more than $4 Million per year. thats a stretch as he provides no offense what so ever

7) Laraqes salary barely makes a differnce eithe rway

8) Latendresse doesn't deserve more than $1 Million. If he think he does thats a classic example of what is wrong with this team

9) Sbban is expendable for a Top flight centreman

The only answer is firesale.

The only necessary stays are Price, Markov, Komi, Koivu, Higgins. Bring up Subban, McDonagh and Fisher to see how they do. Same with Pacioretty. As far as I'm concerned, everyone else is expendable. We'll probably do poorly for a few seasons but hopefully pickup a couple quality centremen in the draft that we haven't really had since Beliveau.

Ask Red Wings fans that question. This anti-Euro stuff is just pure garbage. There have been tons of floater North Americans over the years, just as there have been great Euro players. There are North Americans who play just for the money too. There are 30 teams in the NHL town, it would be impossible and irresponsible for the Canadiens not to go outside the province or country to find talent. The Canadiens try to bring in the best talent possible. It's the job of the organization to win games, not to pump up local pride. Yes, that's how it worked in the old days, but doing business that way just isn't going to get it done in this era. Would I love for the Habs to have a French Candian star and for the Jackets to develop a star from Ohio? Of course I would. I will root for those teams no matter who is playing for them and I don't give a damn where the players are from. You know I'm a patriotic guy, so you can't just say that I have no pride.

Maybe weeding out players who are in it for the money, North American and European alike, can be a way the KHL can benefit the NHL. If they can prove to be a viable league with big money, they'll be able to attract people who aren't in it to win it.

They have the best actual Swede forward, Swede dman and Russian forward active in the league right now.

I'm mostly saying NA players, not necessarily french canadian, although Lapierre (saying that it has to be hurting after the games) and Latendresse really seem to care more than a guy like Higgins (bitching about the fans)

I want player who care. our Euros do not care.

I'm from a suburb of Montreal, born and raised here. It's indicated in my profile, hello??? You are from Quebec City, a completely different world than Montreal. This is The Montreal Canadiens, not the Montreal Poutines. The team has never been solely and completely quebecois, and thankfully, it never will.

Nah, I'm from brossard.

As I just said, I'm pissed that Plek, Kost, etc, do not seem to care as much as Kostopoulos, Lapierre, Latendresse.

1st of all we need a real COACH !!! I'm sick of Montreal with their french requirement .... until we get a coach who can make the team win then the fans and media should just STFU with the 101 french law !!!

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/273394.html

Burrows élimine les Blues

I was kinda calmed down, but I'm upset again.

LOL would you read tomorrow : Plekanec élimine les Bruins?

nah.

The Don Cherry in me says that there is a really really small minority of european players who care enough about the Cup and UNDERSTANDS what it means to step it up during the playoffs.

However, on the other hand, a majority of NA players understand that from the start. Mostly canadian players. Mostly if they're from a place where STANLEY CUP is big.

Where is Burrows from?

ok, argue alone, I'm out of it, I'm just stirring shit and bringing nothing new...

1st of all we need a real COACH !!! I'm sick of Montreal with their french requirement .... until we get a coach who can make the team win then the fans and media should just STFU with the 101 french law !!!

nah, nothing to do with the language players wise.

it has everything to do with

le CH tatoué sur le coeur

(Habs-tatooed heart)

Players wanting to play here, caring about winning here, caring about the cup, etc. no frikkin soft players who are disrespectful of the ghosts of the Forum who made us all proud of the jersey they now do not deserve to wear. Plekanec and Kost do not deserve to wear that jersey, not the way they played this season. I'm not saying I wont ever like them again... but it's all about pride of the jersey. IT SHOULD BE. IT IS NOT. These guys have ed the tradition.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/273394.html

Burrows élimine les Blues

I was kinda calmed down, but I'm upset again.

LOL would you read tomorrow : Plekanec élimine les Bruins?

nah.

The Don Cherry in me says that there is a really really small minority of european players who care enough about the Cup and UNDERSTANDS what it means to step it up during the playoffs.

However, on the other hand, a majority of NA players understand that from the start. Mostly canadian players. Mostly if they're from a place where STANLEY CUP is big.

Where is Burrows from?

ok, argue alone, I'm out of it, I'm just stirring shit and bringing nothing new...

Actually, I think you are wrong in saying Pleks doesn't care. If you hear him in interviews he is pretty hard on himself. His issue seems to be more a real lack of confidence and as a result pressing and making stupid mistakes.

I'd say the same for Higgins. After Gainey put him on the 4th line he responded playing really good hockey defensively and working like a dog on the penalty kill.

BTW, so far the five goals the habs scored were by...... a russian (2 by Kovolev), a swiss (Weber) and an american (2 by Higgins). Despite the Lapierre, Latendresse, Kostopolous line being solid down the stretch, in this series, all of the battling they have done is behind the net. Latnedresse has had a hell of a issue with getting his shots on the net or even by the Bruins D. Is it becuase they don't care, no, I think its becuase of the same issue as Higgins and Pleks have, pressing too hard and struggling with their confidence.

BTW, Who is Burrows playing with.....yeo, 2 swedes.

They have the best actual Swede forward, Swede dman and Russian forward active in the league right now.

I'm mostly saying NA players, not necessarily french canadian, although Lapierre (saying that it has to be hurting after the games) and Latendresse really seem to care more than a guy like Higgins (bitching about the fans)

I want player who care. our Euros do not care.

Close, but no cigar. ;)

Edited by ForumGhost

Hey where is alex daigle we could bring him in, french highly skilled. What could go wrong?

What could go wrong, nothing major, other then he may decide to wear a nurse's uniform rather then his habs jersey ^_^

The guy that should be in habs uniform is Ovechkin :angry::angry:

Why, why, why does a guy like Ovechkin have to be wasted away in a market like washington :puke: :puke:

I think the habs should force Kostitysn to watch 10 hours of Ovechkin videos and maybe, just maybe he may learn that shooting often and from everywhere, driving hard for the net, andh being more physical is a good thing and :unsure::unsure::unsure: can actually be accomplished by a russian ^_^

Edited by hab29RETIRED

What could go wrong, nothing major, other then he may decide to wear a nurse's uniform rather then his habs jersey ^_^

Why, why, why does a guy like Ovechkin have to be wasted away in a market like washington :puke: :puke:

I think the habs should force Kostitysn to watch 10 hours of Ovechkin videos and maybe, just maybe he may learn that shooting often and from everywhere, driving hard for the net, andh being more physical is a good thing and :unsure::unsure::unsure: can actually be accomplished by a russian ^_^

actually the entire forwards lines could learn from that. play big shoot often and crash the net it works

He's actually not being wasted in that market, he's single-handily revitalized it. I think it must be the dream of any young player to go to a team in shambles and then become the driving force that turns it around.

Anywho, like I've said before, my top two targets would be Hossa or Gaborik.

Edited by ForumGhost

Talk to Calgary about Tanguay. He has not produced in the playoffs since leaving Colorado. Anything more the $4M is too much for a guy who hasn't been producing in the clutch and has had the soft label on him for the last 3-4 years. His current $5.25M is certainly WAY more then he is worth.

Haven't you been complaining about the lack of toughness on the habs???

Just to note, other then the year we won the Cup in '01, he was pretty invisible with us as well during the playoffs. That was the big knock on him from fans right before we dealt him to Calgary.

Don't think it was just Calgary he dissapeared on.

Im new to the forum, but I'm not someone who jumps on the bandwagon or gets down if the habs are doing poorly. Thats life and hockey is just entertainment.

About this team; seems as though this team went through a huge change. I'm not talking about the play of Plekanec, Kosty brothers. Plekanec looks like one of those 1 year up one year down players anyways.

Just looking at this team you can see two things wrong; the veteran presence is not strong enough and there is a lack of grit and character. What I mean by character is the way we play, when we play are game we are successful, but we change are game when we face intimidating teams and as you can see they falter.

Komisarek: can't pass and is a toddler he needs someone who can cover him all the time (Markov)

Carey Price: He was the biggest surprise to me all year. Last, year he was exposed and this year he had no head. I am a huge Patrick Roy fan and I never remember Patrick Roy being as hot headed as Carey Price has been early in his carreer, after his 1st season.

When he jump towards a Boston fan to scare them because they were teasing him after he got pulled in game 2. He doesn't have the mental ability to hold this team yet. He has a lot of weight on his shoulder yes, but thats always been the case for goalies. A lot of our players seem to be hot headed and taking ######ed penalties throughout this series and during that disaster of a stretch during the season. We were 6 or 8 points behind Boston a week or two before the All Star break!

I think the loss of Lang hurt our offence tremendously, as well as....but are depth is all too young and inexperienced.

PS. I LOVE THAT RYDER IS LIGHTING US UP TOO. He was ran out of Montreal after one poor season, shit when is the last time we had a guy we drafted score 74 goals in three years. Latendress hasn't..even though this season he was much improved. The Kosty's wont do it, not even our Captain or even Kovalev has. I'm not going to say we should have its done, but we can see now Ryder for 3 or 3.5 mill is a steal....

PS. I LOVE THAT RYDER IS LIGHTING US UP TOO. He was ran out of Montreal after one poor season, shit when is the last time we had a guy we drafted score 74 goals in three years. Latendress hasn't..even though this season he was much improved. The Kosty's wont do it, not even our Captain or even Kovalev has. I'm not going to say we should have its done, but we can see now Ryder for 3 or 3.5 mill is a steal....

Easy to say for Ryder now. In Boston he gets to play alot better players than when in Montreal. Its like the Leafs saying they might have had Carter for Kaberle. Yeah maybe. Carter was never going to score 40 + goals in Toronto with that shit team

Checklist for next year:

1- Either confirm Gainey for a few more years or change the GM asap to be ready for the draft.

2- Resign Tanguay, Schneider & Komisarek before July 1st. We're weak as it is on D, hold on Komo & Schnide

3- Let Koivu & Kovalev walk. The face of the team needs to change, no doubts anymore

4- Let all the other UFAs walk. Save the money.

5- Put together the package you need to get Lecavalier AND St-Louis. That duo is your upgrade on Koivu & Kovalev

6- Find a 2-way winger to complement Laps & Lats to make it a line still physical but with more offensive upside.

7- Graduate Weber full time. The kid looked good.

Yup, Ryder was not going to work out with us, not with the way Carbo used him, not with the way he was playing, which was p*ss-poor.

Needed a coach and a system, plus two good playmaking linemates, which he has now. He'll net them 25 goals a year for the next 8 years if they hold it together. Ask him to do something on his own, he's awful.

Checklist for next year:

1- Either confirm Gainey for a few more years or change the GM asap to be ready for the draft.

2- Resign Tanguay, Schneider & Komisarek before July 1st. We're weak as it is on D, hold on Komo & Schnide

3- Let Koivu & Kovalev walk. The face of the team needs to change, no doubts anymore

4- Let all the other UFAs walk. Save the money.

5- Put together the package you need to get Lecavalier AND St-Louis. That duo is your upgrade on Koivu & Kovalev

6- Find a 2-way winger to complement Laps & Lats to make it a line still physical but with more offensive upside.

7- Graduate Weber full time. The kid looked good.

Good calls KoZed, agree with most, but:

Kovalev I'd consider bringing back, doubtful he would take a cut though to be a 2nd-line winger . pp specialist. A rare talent.

Might have to re-sign some of the UFA's to get Lecavalier - I'm thinking Higgins here. But yes, whatever it takes. Just posted a similar thought at the end of the game thread. A second-line ctr over St. Louis is a way more pressing need.

Veteran goalie?