Who will it be part 2? The coaching question.

Commandant

Anybody know what happened to Doug Jarvis. I haven't heard that name in a while.

According to wikipedia he is an asst coach with our nemesis rival south of the border

I understand both the media and team wanting more french-canadien players, but if you look at the past 4 or 5 drafts, the amount of top notch first round prospects from Quebec is very small, so has this team done such a bad job in that department? I don't think so. Bergevin is no dummy, he can see this just as plainly as we can. Doesn't hurt to have an extra scout anyhow, so why not do it for the Q. As for a coach, having to deal with the group of rabid wolves that is the media in Montreal, it makes perfect sense that the head coach be fluent in french. There are even some decent candidates for the job, so I don't think that will hurt us in the long run anyway.It doesn't have to be Roy, but having a bit of emotion behind the bench would be a pleasant change too.

David Perron & Simon Gagne are others I hear people pout about.

Simon Gagne was drafted 14 years ago when the Habs took Eric Chouinard instead. That was Reggie Houle's regime. How its relevant today, I don't know.

We picked Pacioretty ahead of Perron, I'd call that a good pick.

He had 29 goals under Carbo...

He had 70 pts under Martin.

Lets also not forget that he also had a 39 pt season (the majority of which was under Carbo in 2008-2009) and was part of the team that absolutely quit on Carbo that year. As disappointing as Plekanec was this season, the 08-09 year was 13 points worse. Given that season, plus Carbo's last two jobs (U18 Team Canada that ended in the relegation round), and coaching Chicoutimi was a disaster. I really don't want Carbo back as a coach.

Simon Gagne was drafted 14 years ago when the Habs took Eric Chouinard instead. That was Reggie Houle's regime. How its relevant today, I don't know.

We picked Pacioretty ahead of Perron, I'd call that a good pick.

Completely agree. Pacs has been great and is the PF we have been looking for for a lonnng time.

Plus Chouinard was playing in the Q when he was drafted so it wasn't like it was lack of Q scouting... just bad luck.

Completely agree. Pacs has been great and is the PF we have been looking for for a lonnng time.

Plus Chouinard was playing in the Q when he was drafted so it wasn't like it was lack of Q scouting...just bad luck.

Or bad scouting. Every single one of the scouts from under the Houle regime have been replaced though, so it doesn't matter if it was luck or poor scouting or poor development.

Or bad scouting. Every single one of the scouts from under the Houle regime have been replaced though, so it doesn't matter if it was luck or poor scouting or poor development.

True enough.

Bah. :angry2:

Wait until the Devil's are eliminated. Of course he's not going to abandon his integrity while throwing his team under a bus while they're still playing.

There is a time and place for things like this. Now if definitely not the time for anyone involved.

There's still a faint, frail reed of hope regarding Vigneault:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Gillis+Vigneault+going+through+process/6640703/story.html

I wouldn't make too much of this, though.

Edmonton and Calgary hunting down coaches as well is interesting.

Every unemployed coach in the league knows going to Calgary will be a record tarnisher since they are going down sooner rather than later while the Edmonton Oilers is a group of young guys on a team that just needs a defence better suited for the NHL than the AHL.

I will say this. Ron Wilson should goto Edmonton. He knows how to get a forward group play better than their skill and with the tons of skill on the Oilers, they could probably outscore their way to the playoffs despite poor defence and goaltending. As for Calgary, Bob Hartley would work there. Or Therrien for the entertainment.

I'm really thinking Marc Crawford is the early favorite here. He has experience, but has not been out of the game that long. He did good work in Vancouver (the Bertuzzi incident cannot be blamed on the coaching, sorry, but I'm sure he has learned from that situation), and he seemed to get the best out of the Bertuzzi line at the time. He did quite well in Colorado, even though that team was star studded. I really think an experienced coach is the way to go here, and I think his style fits for the more offensive oriented players, he'd be a much better coach for PK, for instance. A team which is banking on young vets to lead the team will need an experienced NHL coach to keep everyone on the straight and narrow, as well, remember, our best players are all (except Cole) quite young. His demeanor seems a good match to put up with the media, and he might even say something funny once in a while. Hopefully Marc has been brushing up on his french!

I like Crawford.

The biggest problem is that the legal issues over the Bertuzzi incident are still out there, and are scheduling to go for trial in October.

This team has enough of a media circus to contend with, without having to worry about adding one more factor.

I like Crawford.

The biggest problem is that the legal issues over the Bertuzzi incident are still out there, and are scheduling to go for trial in October.

This team has enough of a media circus to contend with, without having to worry about adding one more factor.

It has been years... what is Crawford on the line for now?

No Patrick Roy as our next coach.

From ESPN:

As reported by QMI Agency, a source close to the Canadiens told TVA Sports that Roy wasn't considered the favorite for the position. Bob Hartley and Gerard Gallant (head coach of the QMJHL Saint John Sea Dogs) were mentioned instead.

Like both of these guys. Hartley especially.

Marc Bergevin is at the Memorial Cup watching 4 of our prospects. But he's also most likely taking a long look at Gallant and how the Sea Dogs play. We might be Sea Dogged out next season.. Beaulieu, Gallant, Huberdeau?? (for our 3rd) just hoping :)

Edited by EMELINATOR

No Roy is disappointing.

I've heard good stuff about Gerard Gallant though.

I know next to nothing about him, anyone care to enlighten me? :)