When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

This is kind of what happened when we canned Pat Burns and brought in Demers. Neither was a Super Coach, both were solid coaches though, and the change from one to the other gave a breath of fresh air that contributed to the 1993 run.

Demers had been a good coach on a bad Detroit team. Burns on the other hand was one of the best coaches in the NHL. However the point still stands. Montreal needed a change, even if it meant losing a great coach.

Look at Nashville dropping Trotz for Laviolette. Trotz I'd say is a better coach but bringing in Laviolette sparked the Predators to play a tougher game without sacrificing speed. There's nothing Trotz could do to wake up the locker except leave, and he has done a strong job in Washington since.

It's exceptionally rare for a coach to stay in the same city for 5+ years and stay fresh. Therrien is at year five now.

Just really don't think will end up well in Ottawa with those two.

I really think they will be good together. Experience and out of the box thinking. I really think Ottawa has made a good move here.

We should still be the better team in spite of le genius.

I really think they will be good together. Experience and out of the box thinking. I really think Ottawa has made a good move here.

• 2 weeks later...

I think when we LOST Gallant and Muller we lost the best coaches this team had.

Does Muller speak french? Can we get him an ear piece or something so he can pretend because I like Cap't Kirk a lot more then the 'fess-lano' we got right now.

I loved Muller as a player and he is obviously excellent as an assistant coach. At the same time, there is nothing to indicate that he was anything special as head coach (yes, he had a crap team). In the unlikely event that we were to hire him, it would be on the assumption that he learned from his experience of failure, rather than any actual evidence about his excellence as a head coach. At the end of the day, he is just another dude whose c.v., looked at objectively - and unlike Boudreau's, Hartley's, or Crawford's - pales in comparison to Therrien's.

Some guys are just better suited to be assistants. That's something to keep in mind too.

I loved Muller as a player and he is obviously excellent as an assistant coach. At the same time, there is nothing to indicate that he was anything special as head coach (yes, he had a crap team). In the unlikely event that we were to hire him, it would be on the assumption that he learned from his experience of failure, rather than any actual evidence about his excellence as a head coach. At the end of the day, he is just another dude whose c.v., looked at objectively - and unlike Boudreau's, Hartley's, or Crawford's - pales in comparison to Therrien's.

Some guys are just better suited to be assistants. That's something to keep in mind too.

Ok I can give you this point, then let us (and tomato if need be) and hire him. He can't make our PP any worse (touch wood how ever obscene) and who knows what else he may be able to 'fix' before TM breaks it (again) IMO

Ok I can give you this point, then let us (and tomato if need be) and hire him. He can't make our PP any worse (touch wood how ever obscene) and who knows what else he may be able to 'fix' before TM breaks it (again) IMO

He's currently in St. Louis. I doubt he's leaving unless the Blues fire him along with Hitchcock.

Does Muller speak french? Can we get him an ear piece or something so he can pretend because I like Cap't Kirk a lot more then the 'fess-lano' we got right now.

Fork somebody could translate. Google will do it for forks sake.

Fork somebody could translate. Google will do it for forks sake.

Because I live in la belle province I get why french blahblah blah but when it comes to the important job of getting a team in MountReal winning on NHL ice, I'm with the side that doesn't give a sheet if the coach speaks fringalise and hails from Absurdistan where ice only comes around in prolonged centuries of peace and joy. But hey that is me :)

• Upvote 1

Most of us agree that the affirmative action policy for bilingual coaches is a bad thing. But few endeavours seem more futile than endlessly complaining about it. It's a fixed fact of life in Montreal, now.

• Upvote 1

Most of us agree that the affirmative action policy for bilingual coaches is a bad thing. But few endeavours seem more futile than endlessly complaining about it. It's a fixed fact of life in Montreal, now.

All I can say is true but that 'must' has still lead this team into a troue this past season (at the very least). Yes the injuries yet I feel not taking the best coach available is like say... trading Courtnall (sp?) for Kordic and thinking you won that trade (always right to burn a leaf :P ). I read about cap hits on players vs. play on ice and most complaints always run back towards MT use or no use of players and how PP gets worse year by year, sure buck gets past to ass(.) coach so No excuse is only valid to?

Ok fine I'm being a troue now :) I think I've been holding that in 4 years now :@

All I can say is true but that 'must' has still lead this team into a troue this past season (at the very least). Yes the injuries yet I feel not taking the best coach available is like say... trading Courtnall (sp?) for Kordic and thinking you won that trade (always right to burn a leaf :P ). I read about cap hits on players vs. play on ice and most complaints always run back towards MT use or no use of players and how PP gets worse year by year, sure buck gets past to ass(.) coach so No excuse is only valid to?

Ok fine I'm being a troue now :) I think I've been holding that in 4 years now :@

I did not know where to put this so I put it here. Move it if you want. Real interesting article by Stu Cowen:

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/stu-cowan-canadiens-passed-up-chance-to-land-larry-robinson

I did not know where to put this so I put it here. Move it if you want. Real interesting article by Stu Cowen:

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/stu-cowan-canadiens-passed-up-chance-to-land-larry-robinson

Nothing new in that article. I've been repeating this since they bypassed Robinson and have read either repeat defences on this site of MB/MT or rationalization that Robinson didnt really want to be here anyways. Not going with Robinson should have been a warning sign about three new regime. Not signing Subban to a 12 year deal when it was allowed, not going wit Robinson, signing Danny friggin useless Briere with the money they saved on Subban.
  • Upvote 1

Nothing new in that article. I've been repeating this since they bypassed Robinson and have read either repeat defences on this site of MB/MT or rationalization that Robinson didnt really want to be here anyways. Not going with Robinson should have been a warning sign about three new regime. Not signing Subban to a 12 year deal when it was allowed, not going wit Robinson, signing Danny friggin useless Briere with the money they saved on Subban.

you're right nothing new but a clear confirmation that they forked Big Bird over, and that MB is running an old boys club. I am not impressed.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Habs Rule, I didn't want to keep bring negative as I have a feeling that for a guy who post not so often to come around and dump kinda sucks. But this was a good article and like Habs29Retired and you say there is a missing fork on the Habs table and if this management team thinks that one of the 5 'musts' to have on a C.V. is french then I will start posting in only English on ALL french sites that I visit. French is a beautiful language but in PRO-hockey it is ugly and no one cares if Englais is written with an A.

Hind sight is 20/20, and in the end, Bergevin hired his choice. He's the boss, and he stands behind his decisions. End of story. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, by fans is a certainty, no matter what management does.

The assumption that the Habs could/should have been on a faster track is based on what?

This past season where Price was out and the injuries piled up?

Or should the Habs under Bergevin and Therrien, be judged on where the team has come in the tenure of these 2?

Some of you talk like there has been no measure of success, when in reality there has been a ton of things to indicate(last season not withstanding) that this team is indeed a contender with a healthy lineup, and granted, a top 6 player added.

Teams do that, they try to add what they need under their fiscal plan/budget/salary cap, Bergevin is no different than any other GM.

Old boys club? Name one team that isn't that way, Jezzus!

Galchenyuk and Gallagher have come along just fine, and so has Subban, and Price had a career season for any goaltender, ever.

The team isn't as bad as some of you make it out to be, and there is nothing to indicate that in this cap era, it could be any better with for instance, Big Bird as player development guy. So what the Sharks finally made it to the finals, under their management for once...

Malcontents beating a long dead redundant horse... :cry_smile:

Hind sight is 20/20

Eh that doesn't apply here.

I was defensive of the Habs thinking Robinson didn't really want to come but it seems like he did and Bergevin skipped the best available choice by every possible metric to choose his friend. That's bad management.