One thing I've been trying to figure out is the rules pertaining to AHL demotions prior to the Olympic break. A way to try to save some cap space (and get Bournival some playing time) would be to send him down during the break. From what I've gathered, that is not going to be possible...sort of. Here's a summary of the demotion rules that will soon come into play:
- Anyone that needs waivers would still need waivers to go down during the break (let's get the easy one out of the way)
- Waiver exempt players (Bournival and Gallagher) who have been on an NHL roster for 87 days or more prior to January 24th are entitled to an Olympic break if they are assigned any time after the 24th (5 PM EST) through to February 9th at 5 PM (one day after the Habs' final game). In other words, they are not eligible to play. However, they would collect their AHL pay instead of their NHL pay during this time. If they aren't assigned by the 9th at 5, they cannot be sent down for the duration of the break.
- If a waiver exempt player (let's just use Bournival since this wouldn't happen with Gallagher) with 87 NHL days gets sent down prior to the 24th at 5 PM EST, he is eligible to play in Hamilton...unless (yay, exceptions to the rule...) Bournival is to play 16 of the Habs' final 20 games before the break. We're 8 games into that stretch, he has played 7 of those.
- If Bournival gets sent down after 5 PM on the 24th and before the Habs' last game before the break , he is eligible to play for Hamilton in the time period between the date of demotion and the beginning of the break.
- If anyone with less than 87 NHL days gets recalled before Jan. 24th (Beaulieu), they can be sent down and be eligible to play during the Games as long as they're demoted before February 9th at 5 PM EST.
Long story short...
Bournival can be assigned to Hamilton during the Olympic break to save cap space up until February 9th at 5 PM EST. However, he will not be eligible to play for the Bulldogs during the Olympics unless sent before January 24th. The financial savings on the cap if they send him down for the break would be a bit over $57,000.
Original source: http://www.syracuse....on_rules_d.html