Downey took a beating

markierung

Last year, Souray getting into a fight pretty much cost the Habs the game (I believe it was against Vancouver), albeit mostly because he opened the dude's forehead with his wrist brace. But the guy he was fighting was pure garbage goon, McGrattan-style

That was Darren McCarty of the Flames. A tough hard nosed player. Not a goon by any stretch. But I see your point.

I don't think Downey will be around alot longer. He got the concussion and he doesn't score goals. When was the last time he won a fight or contributed? I don't think Montreal needs a fighter, most of our team is pretty tough and stands up for itself.

I know Komi isn't a fighter but he is pretty big, and Boullion doesn't have "Lion" in his name for nothing :)

I don't think Downey will be around alot longer. He got the concussion and he doesn't score goals. When was the last time he won a fight or contributed? I don't think Montreal needs a fighter, most of our team is pretty tough and stands up for itself.

I know Komi isn't a fighter but he is pretty big, and Boullion doesn't have "Lion" in his name for nothing :)

Downey scored last game and had a great fight against Neil this year.

Downey just has to do what 4th liner weardown players do! Weardown! hit bodycheck and irritate! what else can we ask of him other than not shy away from a 40 lbs heavier opponent like brashear!

as long as that role continues to exist I wont be surprised downey gets an extension for one more year!

the added bonus he gives by not complaining when he's benched and how he enforces the team's morale! priceless

Diowney didn't really want to fight. That is why he got beat so badly. He dropped the gloves and danced around, but you could see he was hoping the linesmen would step in before anything happened. I disagree about his "courage". If he had gone right at Brashear he would have looked much better, and Brash would have respected him enough not to try to hurt him. Downey just pretends to be a fighter because he doesn't have enough talent to stick any other way.

Those weren't potatoes in his pants, and they weren't his balls. They were turds. :wacko:

Edited by bobby

I heard from RDS during the pregame that Brashear had contacted the habs prior to signing with the caps... he wanted to come back to Montreal!

Yep,

HW Topic

"J'ai toujours rêvé de jouer avec un gars comme Steve Bégin"

-Donald Brashear

No kidding! :blink:

I was talking to a local store owner who's old friends of Downey's awhile ago, and from what I heard, he's not going anywhere. Gainey really likes Downey, and Downey loves playing in Montreal and for Gainey. Bob knows exactly what to expect from Aaron when he's called to play.

And to be fair, he's really stepped up his intensity as of late. I have no problem giving Downey 30-35 games a year at the league minimum, as he's worth a lot in team chemistry and morale. He may not play much, but he's very well liked.

He was a man possessed last night - seemed like he had at least one decent scoring chance. And in the absence of Steve Begin, he had a very Beginesque vibe to him last night, even if he plowed himself face-first into the boards at one point - actually, perhaps because he did that, and didn't blink on it.

I was talking to a local store owner who's old friends of Downey's awhile ago, and from what I heard, he's not going anywhere. Gainey really likes Downey, and Downey loves playing in Montreal and for Gainey. Bob knows exactly what to expect from Aaron when he's called to play.

And to be fair, he's really stepped up his intensity as of late. I have no problem giving Downey 30-35 games a year at the league minimum, as he's worth a lot in team chemistry and morale. He may not play much, but he's very well liked.

That's all fine and good, as long as he's not taking the spot of someone like Lapierre in the process. taht's when it starts bugging me. I like Downey's good attitude, and I like his work ethic, but if that spot on the fourth line going to Maxim can turn the fourth line into a much more dangerous line (and let's face it, it's not like our first three lines score so much that we couldn't use a little help from the fourth one now and then) then I'd disagree with keeping him for another year. Him or Murray for that matter.

Well Doney will have a chaneg to redeem himself tonight against Brasher should he dress and I hope he does.

Last three habs games downey dresed- Habs 3-0

Last three games Murray dressed- Habs 0-3

That's a good point. I was also thinking that, but wasen't sure.

You think the team needs another french speaking rookie to disturb the team with the media?

keep the team as is, wait till next year. nothing wrong with Lapierre developing in the AHL for another year.

a quality player shouldn't play for the habs because he is french? Can't agree with that.

I can see merit in the argument that all things being equal the habs should take the french player and I can see merit in the argument that language should simply not be considered in player matters... but that a player should be given less of a chance because he is french? Doesn't sound right to me.

Hell... with lapierre up, perhaps it would make things easier on the other french players...

Edited by simonus

QUOTE(JMMR @ Jan 4 2007, 02:07 AM)

I thought it was a team game. Didn't realize that 1 fourth line player made such a difference?

You think the team needs another french speaking rookie to disturb the team with the media?

keep the team as is, wait till next year. nothing wrong with Lapierre developing in the AHL for another year.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Lapierre is an AWESOME player with lots of energy, works hard, fits with his linemates, and does whatever he's asked. And he has more talent than Downey or Murray, the ppl he's competing for a spot with. No matter how hard they work, them at their best vs. Lapierre at his best = No contest, he wins hands down.

So he's French, so what? The media circus is already there; it'll make no difference if he's around or not. I think it's an awful reason to keep him off the team.

QUOTE(JMMR @ Jan 4 2007, 02:07 AM)

I thought it was a team game. Didn't realize that 1 fourth line player made such a difference?

would he be making a difference because of his defender role?

GO :hlogo: GO!

would he be making a difference because of his defender role?

For sure also he gave the 4th line the ability to be a constant scoring threat, Lapierre drove the net and has pretty decent hands, he looked great with Latendresse and Streit.

For sure also he gave the 4th line the ability to be a constant scoring threat, Lapierre drove the net and has pretty decent hands, he looked great with Latendresse and Streit.

sorry jmmr, i'm a bit confused... are we confusing downey with lapierre here? downey gave the 4th line the ability to be a constant scoring threat?