Gillet's back for Liverpool fc

JoeLassister

As seen on

http://www.rds.ca/soccer/chroniques/221607.html

Gillet would have raise his bet to beat the Dubaï International Capital (DIC) offer.

I would like my 2 favorites teams owned by the same man...

Nice. Maybe he'll convince Rafeal Benitez to stop turning Liverpool into the Spanish National team. Goes out and replaces Jerzy Dudek after the man singlehandedly won the shootout for them in the 2005 Champions League final. :wall:

right he was fantastic but Pepe Reina is a wonderfull gk also

And then there was running Milan Baros out of town and bringing in Morientes. Baros played with tons of heart in their run to the CL final, playing pretty much all 90+ minutes of their games as the lone striker. Morientes, the Spaniard, came in and did didly squat for the team, and they ended up bringing back the aging Robbie Fowler, who they got via a free transfer, just showing how valuable Manchester City felt he was.

And then there was running Milan Baros out of town and bringing in Morientes. Baros played with tons of heart in their run to the CL final, playing pretty much all 90+ minutes of their games as the lone striker. Morientes, the Spaniard, came in and did didly squat for the team, and they ended up bringing back the aging Robbie Fowler, who they got via a free transfer, just showing how valuable Manchester City felt he was.

lol true still Dirk Kuyt is a nice pick for the team they don't only make mistakes

• 2 weeks later...

LIVERPOOL, England (AP-CP) - Montreal Canadiens owner George Gillett Jr., appears poised for a takeover of Liverpool after a Dubai-based consortium withdrew a proposed 450 million pound (C$1.04 billion) bid for the storied soccer club Wednesday.

Dubai International Capital, owned by Dubai ruler Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, called off negotiations with the five-time European champions after hearing that the board of directors was listening to a rival bid from Gillett.

''We are very disappointed to be making this announcement,'' DIC executive chairman Sameer Al Ansari said in a statement.

''DIC is a serious investor with considerable resources at its disposal. At the same time, we are supporters - of the game and of the club. Liverpool's investment requirements have been well publicized and, after a huge amount of work, we proposed a deal that would provide the club with the funds it needs, both on and off the pitch.

''We were also prepared to offer shareholders a significant premium on the market price of the shares. However, we will not overpay for assets.''

Liverpool has won a record 18 English league titles and is planning to build a new 60,000-capacity stadium.

The DIC announcement came the day after the Liverpool board decided against formally accepting the bid and said it needed more time to consider Gillett's offer.

Gillett, a Colorado businessman, bought the Canadiens in 2001. He is a former minority owner of the Miami Dolphins and the Harlem Globetrotters.

If Gillett succeeds in buying Liverpool, he would become the third American owner of a Premier League team. Malcolm Glazer, owner of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, controls Manchester United; Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner took over Aston Villa in September.<

Liverpool has long been looking for a buyer to help fund construction of a new stadium to replace Anfield, and provide the financial power to compete with the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United in the transfer market.

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra made a bid fir Liverpool three years ago. The Liverpool board also had talks with another American billionaire, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

The Spanish telecommunications company Telefonica has also been linked with a takeover, and Liverpool chairman David Moores has already resisted attempts from local businessman Steve Morgan to invest in the club.

Edited by les_glorieux

And part of the reason Liverpool decided to hold off on taking the Dubai offer to listen to Gillett? They like the fact that Gillett wants to keep it as a sporting franchise in the family sense, rather than a business that the Dubai consortium was going to make it. I hope Gillett can pull it off - my two favourite clubs under the same ownership. I'm going to ask to work for him. His personal page. lol

~~

Regarding Dudek: Off and on goaltender who, yes, did well in the CL finals but really, was not a top-flight keeper. Reina is a whole lot better.

Regarding Baros: Sure, he played well in the CL, but he sucked the lines off the football pitch he was so bad in the Premiereship. Good riddance is all I have to say - he's so good that he's now he's been run out of Aston Villa - a struggling Prem team - for the friendly confines of France (a massive step down in quality). Yes, he'll be playing with the best club there, but I wonder at how much time he'll get on the field.

Regarding Morientes: Solid player who was particularly good in the air but was deemed expendable after the Reds acquired Crouch, the 6'7 monster. He was also missing home, I believe.

Regarding Kuyt: Fantastic work ethic and is slowly getting used to Prem football. I think he'll just score more and more as he gets used to it and will give the Reds a nice problem when one of Crouch or Bellamy is deemed expendable. They can then sell and use that cash for other assets.

~~

Oh, and Rafa is turning the Reds Spanish and not French. lol You'll hear many a-Red fan bitching about that. The other issue they have with Rafa is the fact that he can't put the same damn lineup out there for two matches running. It's tough to find a solid cohesion when you never know who you're lining up beside! That said, they're on a march up the Prem tables and are nipping at Chelsea's heels.

Go Reds!

Who said anything about France? :?- I'm a Liverpool fan too, if you didn't notice, so I am one of those complaining about it.

Alzheimers. Just ignore me. I'll go away.

Liverpool FC announced on Tuesday that the Board have agreed the terms of an offer for the Club from Mr George Gillett and Mr Tom Hicks. The Board are unanimously recommending that the Club’s shareholders accept this offer. Price is 714 million €Euros€

www.liverpoolfc.tv

npix_gillett_hicks_379_07.jpg

Easy there!!

Go Hammers Go!!

But i prefer my own reds more!!

fctwente.gif

no i wont go easy liverpool is a scum bucket of a city and its people are cretins. :clap:

Edited by Killer Carlson

I didn't have any soccer allegiances before, so now... I'll pick Liverpool! Gillette being the owner is good enough for me.

Scum bucket of a city, people are cretins? Well, I'm originally from Windsor, so Liverpool is DEFINITELY my team. Talk about an easy transition!

:P

I said easy there cuz you take it for granted that everybody here supports Liverpool, thats bullshit!!

For my part, I'm a fan of Liverpool since the first time I saw Formula 51. Robert Carlyle wears a Liverpool jersey all movie long and i said to myself : humm what a beautiful jersey! Few weeks later, i caugt Liverpool coming back in 2nd half time of the Champions League final and win it in shootout. I was defenitly a new fan of Liverpool for the most spectacular win i've ever seen in soccer.

Here's my favorite quote from Formula 51 : "Football and drugs. A perfect Saturday afternoon." - Iky

Edited by JoeLassister

Scum bucket of a city, people are cretins? Well, I'm originally from Windsor, so Liverpool is DEFINITELY my team. Talk about an easy transition!

:lol: