The Official Habs Panic Thread

hab29RETIRED

Koivu has a no-trade clause, Gainey won't move his captain, etc, etc.

Deal with it - if you wanted Koivu moved you're not going to get it.

Maybe in people's dreams the Canadiens are suddenly acquiring a Datsyuk for Koivu and Souray, it's not happening..

I'd rather move Kovalev anyhow. He's older, earns about as much and has produced less. Plus, several teams are in the market for a veteran scoring winger. Although Kovalev hasn't scored much, we know he can.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Koivu has a no-trade clause, Gainey won't move his captain, etc, etc.

Deal with it - if you wanted Koivu moved you're not going to get it.

Maybe in people's dreams the Canadiens are suddenly acquiring a Datsyuk for Koivu and Souray, it's not happening..

I'd rather move Kovalev anyhow. He's older, earns about as much and has produced less. Plus, several teams are in the market for a veteran scoring winger. Although Kovalev hasn't scored much, we know he can.

Our team is worse without Kovalev then without Koivu. Look at our pp. Its practically a disaster. At least Kovalev doesnt miss 5 open nets in one night either.

Kovalev has produced less because he was on a line that practically was doomed from the start and he was playing with two injuries. (Knee + Elbow)

Kovalev had 65 pts in 69 games last year and Koivu had 62 in 72. That should say something.

Kovalev doesn't have a no-trade clause and I don't know whether the Canadiens even need a veteran scorer who does his best in the playoffs if they aren't likely to make it.

It's a waste really to have him around frustrated without a centre and the team frustrated with lack of production. The best idea would be to part ways if the Canadiens can get something decent in return.

Can anyone tell me why a season that started with such promise has gone so horribly wrong? Is it systemic? Coaching? Higgins, Huet , Koivu, Kovalev, Perozhogin all start out gang busters and then slump. And not just mini-slumps. Plekanec and Souray and arguably Bonk (that pains me) are the only consistent players. I realize they are not the best team but they should be better. Please advise.

Leading theories:

1. The Core is crap, so the early season run was a fluke. These are the *real canadiens.* [This theory fails to consider that practically ALL of our best players are having seasons that are well below past performance or reasonable expectations. So there may be some truth to it, but the team we're seeing right now is NOT the *real* canadiens].

2. Coaching mistakes. As noted above, practically all our players are underperforming. Therefore, the system may be to blame - Carbo hasn't picked the right system for the players he has. [This fails to explain why we were relatively successful with the same system early on]. Other mistakes include benching Rivet: maybe the team started to tune him out or get demoralized after that. And he has obviously mishandled Samsonov - the only coach ever to fail to get decent production from him.

3. The flu. That flu in December ravaged the whole team. According to todd, Rivet has never recovered - it turned into pneumonia in his case. And it may have exhuasted Koivu in particular, leading to his long-term tailspin under the daily pounding of the long season. Throw in Kovalev's long-running elbow injury and you have a seriously damaged club.