Would you trade Souray?

BCHabnut

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acording to Sportsnet the Habs will try their best to sign Souray in the offseason

Well I hope that he would be fine with being a rent a player for some prospects. Honestly, this is not the year for the Habs. If we get past the first round I will be surprised.

We have Chipchura knocking on the door too. And Grabovski and Kostitsyn. Those guys need to play or we might as well trade them for upgrades.

We won't have caproom for the center and no one will just take Samsonov. Samsonov would have to be n a TRADE for the center.

I say we really have no chance of making it past the first round of playoffs as it is, I know this is very pessimistic but its true. The Canadiens don't have what it takes now to make it past round one, let alone make the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to the last game of the season if we do make it. I'm sick of BG saying hes not willing to trade the future...we have too many prospects, and its time to get someone for them! Briere and Drury are both UFA's at the end of this season. I would not be surprised if Gainey went for the one who doesn't resign with Buffalo in the summer. That's what I think is going to happen IMO. I don't think Bob's going to be making any serious moves at the deadline because I think it's obvious now that we are not a cup contender (Especially with Huet and Kovalev out). Also, I don't think David Aebischeir should be traded. He has a lot of great qualities to him, that I just don't see in Halak or Danis. Therefore, I think moving one of the prospect goaltenders packaged with samsonov and rivet for a semi-legit D-Man would be an OK deal. Carey Price will be getting the start for Hamilton next season anyways, might as well get rid of the weakest links while we still can, and start fresh in 07/08.

I agree that you can probably get a first rounder and a prospect and perhaps even a 3rd liner. But if i'm making a trade with a playoff contender (i.e. Anaheim or SJ), i'd rather try and get 2 or 3 solid prospects the a first rounder, since the first rounder will be a late round choice anyway. There are three solid prospects on SJ (Carle, Vlasic????, Bernier), and one on Anaheim (Ryan). the only thing is if anaheim or SJ would have been willing to move them for a rental, they probably would have done it for Forsberg. That's why i think you have to offer someone else as well.

Personally, I'd like to see the habs try and get Marleau and one of Carle/Vlasic. I think if the habs offered somethig like Souray, Ryder and Bonk and Bouillon, they may be able to pry both Mareleau and a solid defensive prospect from SJ - which would address both of the Habs most pressing needs. I would hate to see the habs move Souray for someone like Paveleski - the type of player the habs already have in their system.

Agreed, but it is easier to get the picks then it is the prospects. Teams already know the prospects and what they have as assets as well as an idea of what they will become. That factors on the decision to move them whereas the picks are players to be determined later and have no up/downside, positions or even names yet. the bonus is that the picks as you said will be late which makes it easier to trade them. It also makes it easier for Montreal to move up in the draft (add their own 15th or so pick to a 27th pick and move into the top 5 maybe?) to get a player they really want/need.

The possibilities are endless.

I think we have a lot of wingers that can become top scoreres, but they need the proper centermen to succeed. I also think we really need to re-build our defence - Komisarik is the only quality d-men we will have the rights to for a few years and I don't know if we can re-sign Markov.

Totally agree! We need a very good center if we are ever going to get anywhere. Grabovski may be the one, but a nice big one would be good too.

We have the rights to a couple of great Russian D: Alexei Emelin and Pavel Valentenko; and Ryan O'Byrne could be up sometime next season.

I agree that you can probably get a first rounder and a prospect and perhaps even a 3rd liner. But if i'm making a trade with a playoff contender (i.e. Anaheim or SJ), i'd rather try and get 2 or 3 solid prospects the a first rounder, since the first rounder will be a late round choice anyway. There are three solid prospects on SJ (Carle, Vlasic????, Bernier), and one on Anaheim (Ryan). the only thing is if anaheim or SJ would have been willing to move them for a rental, they probably would have done it for Forsberg. That's why i think you have to offer someone else as well.

Anaheim only has one solid prospect? They're loaded wit hmore youth/prospects than any other team in the league with the possible (and probable) exception of Pittsburgh.

why exactly does anaheim want souray? i guess they want to make them the cup favourites to compete with nashville. I would want a Getzlaf straight up for souray, or that bobby ryan and a pick. We need a young center(high potential, or at least a forward coming back, unless they have a bluechip defenseman whos young. Anaheim doesnt have a great amount of youth im thinking they will sacrafice, that Penner doesnt interest me. San jose has a few prsopects in there system, but not real high end guys, and Bernier and Michaluk(sp) arent going to be coming back this way.

Anaheim won't trade us Getzlaf or Ryan for Souray. Not unless they're confident they're going to win the cup with Souray. Getzlaf will be a #1 center and Ryan also a firstliner - the guy was chosen 2nd overall behind Crosby!

I disagree Justintb...I feel no confidence with Abby in net, I feel like every PP is a goal against, he lets in the back breaking goals early and late in the game, that if you wanna be a number 1 goalie you have to save. It's hard to judge a goalie by one game, but Halak didn't look out of place as much as I've seen from Abby.

I'm no hockey expert, but get into the playoffs and you're have just as much chance to win as the other 15 teams, ride a hot goalie all the way just like Carolina did last year. With all the recent upsets how anyone can say they're not serious cup contenders are crazy. Look at how tight 10th to 4th is in the east, are the top 3 teams that much better than everyone else?

The sabres, yeah, they're fast and skilled, the devils have Brodeur, they're not unbeatable.

I need to change my name it Hopelessly Optimistic I think. Everyone keeps talking about next year, and the 100th anniversary, why do people have so little faith in this year?

Anaheim only has one solid prospect? They're loaded wit hmore youth/prospects than any other team in the league with the possible (and probable) exception of Pittsburgh.

They are loaded with prospects, but i see only two that might help us next year and one who can immidiately help us (Gezlaf). SJ has more prospects that may have an impact next year

Why are you even discussing the Ducks? They are loaded with good D. Is there something I am missing here? Or is this discussion based completely on the fact that Anaheim is close to his kid?

Why are you even discussing the Ducks? They are loaded with good D. Is there something I am missing here? Or is this discussion based completely on the fact that Anaheim is close to his kid?

The Ducks have been listed along with the Sharks, wings (list other UFA's coming back), Oilers (probably out not an option anymore), Canucks (don't have anyone of interest), Flames (already got Stuart).

Although most of the rumours are from Ekland and that Ottawa reporter, neither of whom are all that reliable - at least I hope that their other rumour of the habs trying to pick up a goalie is not reliable!!!

I can see Souray going to Minnisota for Koivu, there has been alot of rumors between these two teams lately.....this is purely speculation.

I would love to see Souray and Kovalev for Rolston (or Koivu) and Schultz. it saves us money and we dump the enigma that is Kovalev for a scoring center to play with Samsonov next year.

the Koivu brothers would be great in montreal

Edited by Davehab

Yeah I am not sure why the Ducks would really want him right now they havs the 3rd best PP in the league and Pronger and Neidermyer eat so much ice time his value to the Ducks would not be as high as it is for Nashville or Minny.

I can see Souray going to Minnisota for Koivu, there has been alot of rumors between these two teams lately.....this is purely speculation.

I would love to see Souray and Kovalev for Rolston (or Koivu) and Schultz. it saves us money and we dump the enigma that is Kovalev for a scoring center to play with Samsonov next year.

the Koivu brothers would be great in montreal

Have you seen the Habs offence the past few games without Kovalev. Personally I can not wait till he is back.

Have you seen the Habs offence the past few games without Kovalev. Personally I can not wait till he is back.

I really haven't noticed any difference at all in our offensive production since he has been gone. Other than I like Milroy's energy and I think that the first line seems to finally be getting it together.

I really haven't noticed any difference at all in our offensive production since he has been gone. Other than I like Milroy's energy and I think that the first line seems to finally be getting it together.

they did look better. although i was really hoping that Higgens would finally bury one.

haha wow our pp looks like crap since hes been gone.

I would do the move before somebody else trade another offensive D in the West.

Bob will never move until he is sure they won't make the playoff.

Deadline is the 27 february that is 4 game remaining.

Assuming that day that Toronto has two games in hand and they are on the 8 spot.

That bring us to the deadline eve against Toronto.

And the last game of the year is against Toronto too.

WHY NOT PUTTING SHELDON ON AN OFFENSIVE LINE ???

-He's not much of a defensive player

-too many turnovers in his D zone

-20 goals !!! the guy can score from the oppoent's blue line ; how many would he scores if he takes closer shots

-ok, he is not really quick, but the guy hardly misses ; remember the game winning goal VS Pittsburgh? 2 on 1 with Pleky ; Fleury couldn't see a thing

-However, on PP, he should stay on the D line to score from the blue line

Edited by rafikz

Although most of the rumours are from Ekland and that Ottawa reporter, neither of whom are all that reliable - at least I hope that their other rumour of the habs trying to pick up a goalie is not reliable!!!

imo, Eklund is reliable. He reports when 2 teams are talking. The trade doesn't always fall through ans if it does the guy can only go to one team. He just names the teams that are gunning for a player.

Garrioch is just silly though - he claimed in his recent article that Gainey is "frantically searching" for a goaltender..yeah, right.

Judging from the market, wouldn't be a bad idea to move Souray if Gainey feels he can't fit under the cap. It's a little puzzling that there's been absolutely no contact though. Doesn't he at least want to know how much Souray will be looking for to re-sign? Or whether he's willing to re-sign? If he isn't or wants tremendous money then he'll have to be moved.

Yeah I am not sure why the Ducks would really want him right now they havs the 3rd best PP in the league and Pronger and Neidermyer eat so much ice time his value to the Ducks would not be as high as it is for Nashville or Minny.

Honestly if Montreal keeps winning and Kovalev isn't fully healed I could care less. He went onto the IR because he knew himself that he just wasn't doing enough because he was limited by the injury, and if he's still limited by his injury when he returns it won't be much good for anyone.

Edited by smon