The glass is half full

bobby

Actually, more than half full. Habs have a winning record this year, and are just 3 points out of a playoff spot with 13 games remaining. With all the *ing and moaning that is going on, you would think the team was looking up at the Flyers in the standings. There is a lot more fan interest in the team while it is fighting for it's playoff life, than there would be if they had 100 points and were cruising to the end of the season. There is a lot more fan interest after Kovalev spilled his guts (probably while half drunk sitting in his sauna) to some pop tart journalist with a sexy voice, than there would be if he just muttered the usual cliches while brushing past reporters like they were panhandlers on the street corner.

The team's future is as rosy as any in the league, with the possible exception of the Penguins, (or whatever they will be known as next season). You want reason to complain, how about if you were a fan of the best young team in the league, with a handful of budding superstars in their teens and early 20s that was about to leave town to (probably) win a few Cups in the near future in another city.

Montreal's last two drafts have been as good as any team's in the league. They have 5 of the first 75 picks in the upcoming draft. They introduced two young Franco kids this year who are the best representatives of that segment of the fan base as you could hope to find. They have an All Canadian kid on the horizon in Carey Price, who can push Sidney Crosby as the country's next great hope on the international level.

Good post. I'd also like to remind people that the biggest problem the habs have atm is that we lost our all-star goalie 3/4 of the way through the season (yes Huet didnt have a great January, but his season was overall pretty solid). I guarantee you that the Devils wouldnt be so hot if they suddenly lost Brodeur.

Good post. I'd also like to remind people that the biggest problem the habs have atm is that we lost our all-star goalie 3/4 of the way through the season (yes Huet didnt have a great January, but his season was overall pretty solid). I guarantee you that the Devils wouldnt be so hot if they suddenly lost Brodeur.

Correct. I've been maintaining that some shrewd adjustments in the off-season - an intelligent UFA signing, a deal or two, possibly buying out Kovy and Sammy's contracts - may well be enough to right the ship. We have some talent, we have plenty of good youngsters, we have a goalie who is at least decent: this melt-down is NOT representative of the team, any more than some wild hot streak would be. Stay cool, Bob!

I agree (except the Price/Crosby comparison) and it is refreshing to hear it phrased this way..

I still want to make the playoffs though!!! Please win tonight...

:hlogo: :hlogo:

glass half full, glass half empty...

I just hope the current crew is not thinking about filling the glass at a golf club's 19th hole soon...

I blame no one for the current situation except a really well balanced league now, and that is awesome... Sure we could look at Kovy's general play, Saju's on and off performance, Huet being out, Higgin's early injury, the New Year flu bug, and a million other things, BUT, I thing this looks like many teams just a year or two before it all clicked. Heck, in November, no one knew who (except for Bulldog fans) Lapierre was... I would have loved for it all to have 'clicked' this year, and still, it could. Truthfully I can't see a much better future than what already lays before us until about 2010). At some point, Gainey, Carbo, and, and, are going to develop the scoring touch from within... Look at the league leading teams and the teams climbing the standings right now, the way to the playoffs is score 25-45% higher that against. There's no magic there, but when a d-man is your goal scoring weapon (great bomb from the point... no offence meant SS, but 'Sid the kid' and others prove the point that it's great near-the-net control that pops the lid), time to work on something new on the chalk-board. Price is a real possibility in our future, and if there comes some solid creative linemates, it could look good in a few years.

BTW...anyone know what the combination of wins/losses are to make the post season? Is there still a 'magic' number? About a week ago, someone mentioned to me that 500 hockey would have secured 8th. From what I see, if I'm adding it up right, we have to play about 700+ if everyone else plays 500 hockey, or about 918 hockey if everyone stays on their current trend... scary!!!

GO :hlogo: GO

I agree, we're still in as good position for next season as any team in the league. With only a couple of moves we may be able to lengthen our hot start until the end of the season, next year.

Agreed - while one must not overestimate the potential of the talent in the system currently, the fact remains that this organization has more depth than most other teams do. I think that some minor tinkering must be done at the core level right now and not a total blowup as some are prone to suggest? This off season is vital as they need to move some malcontents for the right return and add some NHL ready talent from external sources - at defence and centre positions, as well as resign the right guys. It's absolutely time next year to bring a few more kids up as well. This team has spent far to long in a rebuilding mode, it's now time to move to the next phase of that plan....

p.s. I have to say that I prefer that this team misses the playoffs this year - for a lot of reasons!

Edited by beliveau1

Gainey has to be very aggressive at the draft. If he can move some salaries, our situation will be a lot better. If we have a shot at moving up in the draft and picking a potential impact player, that would be great. If we don't, but have a shot at picking up a core roster player right now, that should definitely be looked into.

The main thing that concerns me is that any sense of personality this team once had seems to have disappeared. He needs to make a bold statement about just who is a member of this team's core and who isn't this offseason.

If the team makes the playoffs or not seems really insigificant at this point, and very unlikely if you ask me. I can't see this team getting hot and making it. They get temporarily lifted in emotion but then panic and let their guard down and get burned. There's no positive pattern right now.

Great post Bobby. People keep saying we're seeing the same thing we've seen for the last decade and a half, but there is FAR more talent in the system than there was then. The future isn't now, but it's bright.

Barring big trades (which are a distinct possibility) I see a core group of NHL ready players with their best seasons ahead of them: Higgins, Pleks, Ryder, Latendresse, Lapierre, Kostitsyn, Markov, Komisarek and hopefully Gorges. The system should continue to provide 2 or 3 rookies a year for at least next five years, assuming they can get two players out of their 5 in 75 next year.

That is the ideal model to build a franchise under the salary cap. What we need is the right veteran presence to solidify it. Souray provided that presence this year, as does Koivu. Bonk and Johnson certainly don't detract from the team. Begin when he's playing is a huge asset, and for my money Streit is a dream versatile player. If only he were more physical. Perezhogin's on the bubble IMO, but he's versatile and lots and lots of guys like him haven't bloomed until their mid twenties, so I'd stick with him unless somebody offers a high price.

The one statement Bob and Guy have made this year is that they have faith in the young guys. Guy has made mistakes aplenty, not surprising for a rookie coach, and we all agree Samsonov was a disastrous signing and Niniimaa's been a bust. But the youth movement has been afoot for three years, and despite the huge setbacks since Christmas, we need to stick with it. And get BIG center with offensive talent somehow. I don't mind getting someone who's too young to make an impact right away, but it's the one thing I don't see coming in the system.

Anyway, between the prospects, the draft picks and the money under the cap, I see Bob as being well placed to make this team a contender within the next two-three years. I was hoping for sooner, but there have been some major setbacks this year.

Great post Bobby. People keep saying we're seeing the same thing we've seen for the last decade and a half, but there is FAR more talent in the system than there was then. The future isn't now, but it's bright.

Barring big trades (which are a distinct possibility) I see a core group of NHL ready players with their best seasons ahead of them: Higgins, Pleks, Ryder, Latendresse, Lapierre, Kostitsyn, Markov, Komisarek and hopefully Gorges. The system should continue to provide 2 or 3 rookies a year for at least next five years, assuming they can get two players out of their 5 in 75 next year.

That is the ideal model to build a franchise under the salary cap. What we need is the right veteran presence to solidify it. Souray provided that presence this year, as does Koivu. Bonk and Johnson certainly don't detract from the team. Begin when he's playing is a huge asset, and for my money Streit is a dream versatile player. If only he were more physical. Perezhogin's on the bubble IMO, but he's versatile and lots and lots of guys like him haven't bloomed until their mid twenties, so I'd stick with him unless somebody offers a high price.

The one statement Bob and Guy have made this year is that they have faith in the young guys. Guy has made mistakes aplenty, not surprising for a rookie coach, and we all agree Samsonov was a disastrous signing and Niniimaa's been a bust. But the youth movement has been afoot for three years, and despite the huge setbacks since Christmas, we need to stick with it. And get BIG center with offensive talent somehow. I don't mind getting someone who's too young to make an impact right away, but it's the one thing I don't see coming in the system.

Anyway, between the prospects, the draft picks and the money under the cap, I see Bob as being well placed to make this team a contender within the next two-three years. I was hoping for sooner, but there have been some major setbacks this year.

But that is why the title is appropriate.

HALF FULL

The argument can be made that the glass is half full because we are over .500.

HALF EMPTY

The record is actually 34-36. But the Habs have received 6 point in Losses. And you can be negative that they at 1 point had a 21-8-5 record and have won 13 of 36 since.

HALF FULL

Cristobal Huet shut up all the critics and made the All-Star team

HALF EMPTY

Cristobal Huet went 5-12 in his last 17 starts before his injury

HALF FULL

Christopher Higgins showed he can be a premier forward in the league with his performance before his injury and has only failed to produce because he has not fully recovered

HALF EMPTY

Christopher Higgins has only put up 15 pts in his last 36 games and was playing over his head to begin the season.

HALF FULL

The Habs have one of the best farm systems in the NHL, they have Perezhogin/Lats/Higgins/Kosty/Komisarek/Plekanec/Halak/Price/Chipchura

HALF EMPTY

THe Habs lack a superstar prospect outside of Carey Price. Perezhogin/Higgins/Lats/Kosty have struggled to produce at the NHL level and are nice complimentary pieces but are nothing more.

Personally, I agree with Bobby and I think that the Habs future is bright. As much as some believe that Montreal overperformed in the first half, they are nowhere near as bad as they have been in the second half. I have faith in Bob and believe we are closer to a turnaround than most believe. Some really nice work in the offseason can set this team back in the right direction. But with such an inconsistent season it is easy to take either a positive or negative outlook. I don't mind criticizing moves I do not like, but if Huet does not go down the Habs probably steal the 8th spot comfortably.

It is all about your outlook, that is why it is a great title.

Edited by Wamsley01

Bahaha Huet carries this team almost single handedly and when he hits the skids no one steps and we drop from 4th to 11th. Yeah the team is doing great, a real bright future for us! :D

My point exactly. To each his own.

Who knows what next year will hold.

Last year Atlanta, NYI, Pittsburgh all missed the playoffs

and Philly, Habs and Hurricanes were in. The FLYERS were a 5 SEED!!!

The Canes won the Cup, now if the playoffs started today they would be gone.

Welcome to the new NHL. When parity rules anything can happen.

I am willing to bet you that 5 months ago you would not have switched spots with an Islanders fan.

The foundation for a contender are there. It is just not fully hardened yet. We will see.

Edited by Wamsley01

I doubt that as far as Islander fans go, they have a much better roster then last year. They have a great coach who motivates his teams to play way over there heads. If you don't play hard you don't play for Nolan.

The Habs have the same core which has never done anything and a rookie coach. I think Islander fans would have taken there chances.

I doubt that as far as Islander fans go, they have a much better roster then last year. They have a great coach who motivates his teams to play way over there heads. If you don't play hard you don't play for Nolan.

The Habs have the same core which has never done anything and a rookie coach. I think Islander fans would have taken there chances.

Maybe Islanders fans would have taken their chances, but after they fired Neil Smith, hired their backup goaltender to be GM and signed an unproven goalie to a 15 year contract, would any habs fan have switched places with them 6 months ago? I sure as hell would not have!

It was a circus but again that is all irelevant stuff as far as Nolan goes. Look how many people he sits if they don't play hard. He will sit anyone at anytime. Nolan controls how they play on the ice and could care less about the other BS.

It was a circus but again that is all irelevant stuff as far as Nolan goes. Look how many people he sits if they don't play hard. He will sit anyone at anytime. Nolan controls how they play on the ice and could care less about the other BS.

I am not arguing that Nolan is not a better coach than Carbo. Gainey obviously sees something in Carbo, but it is frustrating watching the Blues play under Andy Murray, the Leafs under Paul Maurice, the Isles under Ted Nolan and put forth an effort that I have rarely seen from the Habs this season. Everybody says look at the other coaches throughout the league that left Montreal and had success elsewhere...it is the players fault. Well if Paul Maurice can get a shit team that was injury plagued to play better than Guy can with a better roster....then I am flabbergasted

He might be a good coach in the future, but he ain't right now.

The habs have played the same way for 4 coaches now. It's the players.

So to pick out Carbo as fault or comparing him to other coaches is bad, look at the Habs ex coaches, all in the playoffs with different teams. It's the lazy players, beleive me.

The habs have played the same way for 4 coaches now. It's the players.

So to pick out Carbo as fault or comparing him to other coaches is bad, look at the Habs ex coaches, all in the playoffs with different teams. It's the lazy players, beleive me.

I don't buy it. So why did the Habs play better under Gainey than Julien?

And I don't buy the Huet argument either. Huet was 2-3-1 under Julien and gave up 18 goals in 6 games.

As far as the other succesful ex coaches, when you look at their respective situations you cannot compare them to what Carbo is doing anymore than you can say I cannot compare what Maurice and Nolan are doing. They had different players and situations.

Also these players that are at fault are the players that have made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.

I never claimed that the previous coaches were bad coaches. But players quit on coaches. Players sometimes never mesh with a coach. Carbo has not proved anything and these players have proved they CAN make the playoffs

Alain Vigneault

Alain Vigneault should not even be in the conversation because the guy did a phenomenal job when he was here. The 2000 team almost made the playoffs with Rucinsky/Zubrus/Zholtok/Linden/Savage/Brunet.

So the fact that he is succesful with a Vancouver team that is one lockout year removed from being a Stanely Cup contender and has Roberto Luongo in net is not exactly a shock.

The only players that played for Vigneault and Carbo are:

Koivu, Rivet, Souray and Markov

Michel Therrien

Michel Therrien is succesful coaching Sydney Crosby/Evgeni Malkin/Jordan Staal/Mark Recchi/Sergei Gonchar etc etc. Sorry if I have a hard time believing it is because of Therrien.

The only players that played for Therrien and Carbo are:

Koivu, Souray, Rivet, Komisarek and Markov

Claude Julien

Claude Julien is now coaching a team that has a Hall of Fame goaltender and won the Stanley Cup 4 years ago with alot of the core still around (Elias, Brodeur,Gomez, Langenbrunner, Madden, Rafalski, Gionta, White) as well as good youngsters in Zach Parise and Paul Martin.

So to attribute their success to Julien is not exactly accurate, esoecially if you are blaming the players in the case of the Canadiens. I can easily attribute his success to his players like you attribute Carbo's failure's to his players.

Seeing as there are only 4 players who played for all 3 are you blaming Koivu, Rivet, Markov and Souray?

Carbonneau has not shown an ability to get his players to overachieve. You can blame the players if you like. I tend to blame the coach.

Your opinion may be that it is the players fault, I do not share that opinion. You telling me to trust you it is the players is not going to make me a believer. And seeing as all 4 coaches have coached different rosters you cannot really prove otherwise.

The jury is out on Carbonneau, and even though the other coaches were fired...Therrien and Julien coached the crappy habs players to the playoffs, can Carbo claim that?...not yet

Edited by Wamsley01

My point exactly. To each his own.

Who knows what next year will hold.

Last year Atlanta, NYI, Pittsburgh all missed the playoffs

and Philly, Habs and Hurricanes were in. The FLYERS were a 5 SEED!!!

The Canes won the Cup, now if the playoffs started today they would be gone.

Welcome to the new NHL. When parity rules anything can happen.

I am willing to bet you that 5 months ago you would not have switched spots with an Islanders fan.

The foundation for a contender are there. It is just not fully hardened yet. We will see.

You're saying that right now you're willing to switch spots with an Islanders fan? :unsure::huh::blink:

You're saying that right now you're willing to switch spots with an Islanders fan? :unsure::huh::blink:

No, I am a habs fan, always will be.

The point was that because this year fell apart does not mean that next year will be lost as well.

The post was about how the Glass is Half Full and not Half Empty. And the Habs future is bright.

Is the point that things can change very quickly not clear? that the Islanders were the butt of all the league jokes 6 months ago and added Ryan Smyth and are now comfortably ahead of Les Glorieux?

Do I need to simplify my point?

Right now Islanders fans are not on here complaining about the coach, the media, the star player, the GM etc etc. Who does that sound like right now? US

Right now Islanders fans are happy, and we are not. But next season with the Glass HALF FULL maybe, just maybe we will be the ones smiling.

It was not meant to be taken literally :blink::huh: : :wacko:

Edited by Wamsley01

Also, amazingly enough Yashin has been playing with heart this year. He had over a PPG before he went down with his first injury of the season and right now has 38 points in 44 games (plus a goal in tonight's game). That's 0.86 points per game, he hasn't put up numbers like that since his first year with the Islanders when he notched 75 points in 78 games.